Diagne | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

CuseHulk said:
U were one of those people taking the NCAA side. Read the article again. Them delaying on making a decision forced Diagne hand. They don't get it.

How do you know they delayed it? The article also says they haven't decided. How do you know how quickly or accurately they got info on a course they asked for from the Senegal HS. You don't know why it had taken the time it has. Have you ever gone through the initial eligibility process with an athlete, in particular an athlete that isn't a slam dunk with meeting requirements? I doubt it. I have.

Btw, I'm happy as hell about what's in that article. Yesterday, all hope was lost with all the reports he was ineligible and going to JUCO. Now it appears there might be a slither of hope still, even if it's January. A slither, but better than zero.

Indeed, and if what is being reported is true, then I can no longer defend the NCAA in this situation. If they aren't sure, they could clear Diagne to receive athletic aid from Syracuse, so he could begin classes while they determine his eligibility to play. What they are doing is not in the best academic interests for Diagne.

Serves me right for trying to see their side...

One. Single. Course.

Okay, NOW I'm furious with the NCAA for taking so long. This article has revealed that the only reason Diagne had to enroll in a JUCO is that he couldn't get a visa to return to the US unless he was enrolled somewhere by August 20, meaning he was out of options.

Apparently they haven't officially ruled on his eligibility yet...meaning he could have potentially still had that one single course cleared and still wound up at SU. But because the NCAA took so damn long determining something about ONE. SINGLE. COURSE. he was SOL and had to make a move or else find himself stuck in Senegal with no options.

"Best interest of the student." Hahahahahahahahaha.
This story seems very odd. Damage control perhaps?

There is no fall/winter/spring/summer. Those would be quarters pal. A semester is September-December, and then January-May. There are two semesters in a year.

I'm going to go talk to a brick wall. It offers better insight than you.

There are two semesters and two summer sessions that count too...he could be at SU next fall...

I have been on the sideline about this, not because I don't care, but because I had nothing to add.

Well, here is my 2 pennies worth.

It appears that Diagne is a great kid, who had solid academics, at least stateside.

The NCAA has it backwards. Instead of looking to find ways to make kids ineligible and potentially hurt their future, they should be looking to help kids that do not have a negative history of academics and/or behavior issues to gain their eligibility. This should be done in conjunction with the school offering the scholie.

They are so much BS about being about the kids, when everything they do SCREAMS the opposite.

If the truth and Diagne is really only about one course, why couldn't they simply have given him an exam on that coursework & if he passes let the matter be dropped. That is what I call being for the kids and giving them a fair chance.

They are pathetic any way you slice it.

newmexicuse said:
If the truth and Diagne is really only about one course, why couldn't they simply have given him an exam on that coursework & if he passes let the matter be dropped. That is what I call being for the kids and giving them a fair chance. They are pathetic any way you slice it.

Every kid that is one course short usually goes to prep school. Many kids go that route. We've had several going all the way back to Moten. Testing in might be another can of worms.

I have been on the sideline about this, not because I don't care, but because I had nothing to add.

Well, here is my 2 pennies worth.

It appears that Diagne is a great kid, who had solid academics, at least stateside.

The NCAA has it backwards. Instead of looking to find ways to make kids ineligible and potentially hurt their future, they should be looking to help kids that do not have a negative history of academics and/or behavior issues to gain their eligibility. This should be done in conjunction with the school offering the scholie.

They are so much BS about being about the kids, when everything they do SCREAMS the opposite.

If the truth and Diagne is really only about one course, why couldn't they simply have given him an exam on that coursework & if he passes let the matter be dropped. That is what I call being for the kids and giving them a fair chance.

They are pathetic any way you slice it.
Exactly.

They're basically punishing a kid who has no history of academic failure for something that they think MIGHT have happened 3-4 years ago.

You shouldn't be guilty until proven innocent.

Every kid that is one course short usually goes to prep school. Many kids go that route. We've had several going all the way back to Moten. Testing in might be another can of worms.
Being short a course is different then questioning a course. If a course is questioned then testing in is a fair solution. If a kid is short a course that should have to be made up one way or another.

Why is there "fault"? And how do you know the delay has been the "fault" of the NCAA? If you want to take a stance that the NCAA conspired against SU, then just say it.

For once I want you to question almighty authority!! The NCAA has proven to be a hypocritical bureaucracy, full of either severe ineptitude, petty grudges or downright corruption. They do not care about student athletes. They care about proving to their member institutions that there is a need for them to exist still, regardless of the collateral damage they inflict on kids who are trying to make better lives for themselves. It's been said many times before, but continues to need to be said: F THE NCAA.

Something doesn't add up. If it were just one course, he would have been steered toward the prep school route, and then join the team in January.

Didn't the article from the other day suggest that JUCO was the only option?

Again, something isn't adding up.

newmexicuse said:
Being short a course is different then questioning a course. If a course is questioned then testing in is a fair solution. If a kid is short a course that should have to be made up one way or another.

Again. And I can be wrong, but I believe this is one area where the member schools have a day and approve initial eligibility requirements. The NCAA is the member schools and not an autonomous organization per se. I just don't believe the NCAA slow rolled this just so a kid would be ineligible.

Again. And I can be wrong, but I believe this is one area where the member schools have a day and approve initial eligibility requirements. The NCAA is the member schools and not an autonomous organization per se. I just don't believe the NCAA slow rolled this just so a kid would be ineligible.

If not, then they have just highlighted their incompetence for all the world to see. If they are really all about the student athlete, why would they let this happen? They are arbitrary to a fault and only care about keeping their power. The NCAA is pissed at SU and they will not do us any favors, even if it means hurting a kid who (by all accounts) deserves to be on the Hill getting ready for classes to start. This is just appalling.

as you continue to bend over backwards to absolve the NCAA of any culpability here. Truly unreal

shandeezy7 said:
For once I want you to question almighty authority!! The NCAA has proven to be a hypocritical bureaucracy, full of either severe ineptitude, petty grudges or downright corruption. They do not care about student athletes. They care about proving to their member institutions that there is a need for them to exist still, regardless of the collateral damage they inflict on kids who are trying to make better lives for themselves. It's been said many times before, but continues to need to be said: F THE NCAA.

Why? What did the NCAA specifically do wrong?

RF2044 said:
Something doesn't add up. If it were just one course, he would have been steered toward the prep school route, and then join the team in January. Didn't the article from the other day suggest that JUCO was the only option? Again, something isn't adding up.

I mentioned the same thing into first post here today. Don't understand not going prep instead. Must be more details we don't know.

I get both sides but the NCAA has targeted programs and coaches in the past. I will believe they are going out of their way to hinder SU bball as much as possible. Others can believe what they will.

Why? What did the NCAA specifically do wrong?

Come on now...if it looks like sh%# and it smells like sh%# then chances are pretty good that it is sh%#.

They had all summer to rule on his eligibility and didn't. And to make it smell worse it all comes down to one class he took as a freshman. If that isn't just wrong, tell me what is...

I'm also in the that most recent story doesn't quite add up camp.

FairfaxOrange said:
If not, then they have just highlighted their incompetence for all the world to see. If they are really all about the student athlete, why would they let this happen? They are arbitrary to a fault and only care about keeping their power. The NCAA is pissed at SU and they will not do us any favors, even if it means hurting a kid who (by all accounts) deserves to be on the Hill getting ready for classes to start. This is just appalling.

Everyone said the same things about Blair. That it was the NCAAs fault. Except Shafer. He could hVe said nothing but instead made a point that it wasn't on the NCAA. And he ended up 5 courses short. Sometimes documentation back and forth or appeals take time.

pearl31 said:
So you're saying his HS coach is lying?

Not necessarily. Was Blairs HS coach lying?

pearl31 said:
as you continue to bend over backwards to absolve the NCAA of any culpability here. Truly unreal

Mature post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom