Did our RPI get a big boost today? | Syracusefan.com

Did our RPI get a big boost today?

Boost from Duke winning, comedown from aTm losing (AGAIN - 4th straight loss and 5ht out of last 6 games). + from ND winning, - from Gtown losing, + from Wisky winning. I am sure there are many others - those are the ones that jumped out at me. Not sure what the net gain/loss is.

Boost from Duke winning, comedown from aTm losing (AGAIN - 4th straight loss and 5ht out of last 6 games). + from ND winning, - from Gtown losing, + from Wisky winning. I am sure there are many others - those are the ones that jumped out at me. Not sure what the net gain/loss is.

Most ACC games have no impact like the Duke one. We have played both Duke and Virginia once, so the game had no impact on our RPI.

May help our resume a tad, but no impact on RPI.

People are obsessing a little too much about the RPI as a standalone number, since it becomes quickly irrelevant in the committee room as long as it's decent enough. As long as we win 9 games, the RPI no doubt will be in the range needed for further consideration (45-60). Then it is about our Wins and Losses / Body of Work, not our own RPI.

our strength of win increases everytime duke wins. that road win is going to be huge come year end. committee looks at things like strength of win even though its not factored into the rpi. As bilas always says, "who can you beat" because everyone has proven they can lose.

Duke, ND, St. Bonaventure, UConn all won. Those are 4 of our 5 top wins this year.

Most ACC games have no impact like the Duke one. We have played both Duke and Virginia once, so the game had no impact on our RPI.

May help our resume a tad, but no impact on RPI.

People are obsessing a little too much about the RPI as a standalone number, since it becomes quickly irrelevant in the committee room as long as it's decent enough. As long as we win 9 games, the RPI no doubt will be in the range needed for further consideration (45-60). Then it is about our Wins and Losses / Body of Work, not our own RPI.
I agree with people obsessing about RPI a little too much, but what you said about Duke vs. UVa - that's not quite right. The loss at UVa counts as 0.6 of a loss (road loss), while the win at Duke counts as 1.4 wins (road win). So if Duke beats UVa, the road win over Duke counts a bit more in the RPI than the road loss to UVa. Small, I agree, as RPI includes opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage, but it's not a zero impact. Just quibbling. :)

In today's J Palm Valentine's Day update, we are the 8 seed in the East, playing Monmouth (who is ahead of us in the RPI!!) for the right to (likely) play Villanova.

In Brooklyn.

The 4 and 5 seeds? Utah and Indiana. :cool:

Who would have thought that Elon and Cornell would be better RPI wins for us than BCU? Oh Lord

Of course it matters how our opponents do ... 50% of the RPI is opponent's winning percentage. 25% is the winning percentage of our opponents' opponents. The remainder is our own winning percentage, as to which (as O-79 observes) there is an eccentric weighting of home wins and road losses (.6/1.4).

Last edited:
Just because of being in the ACC our RPI is always going to be very decent unless the ACC gets all teams to play .500 ball.

Really a non-issue I would think for the selection committee as long as we are .500 or better in conference play this year.

I agree with people obsessing about RPI a little too much, but what you said about Duke vs. UVa - that's not quite right. The loss at UVa counts as 0.6 of a loss (road loss), while the win at Duke counts as 1.4 wins (road win). So if Duke beats UVa, the road win over Duke counts a bit more in the RPI than the road loss to UVa. Small, I agree, as RPI includes opponents' winning percentage and opponents' opponents' winning percentage, but it's not a zero impact. Just quibbling. :)

I stand corrected on that point. Thank you.

However, I still stand by the point that our own individual RPI is not really a factor for us anymore. 9 wins and the RPI will certainly fall in the look further at me range.

I stand corrected on that point. Thank you.

However, I still stand by the point that our own individual RPI is not really a factor for us anymore. 9 wins and the RPI will certainly fall in the look further at me range.
Agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom