Didn't watch, someone fill me in... | Syracusefan.com

Didn't watch, someone fill me in...

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Tyler Lydon

What gives? Seems like he had a very anemic performance or was he too busy hitting the boards because Roberson decided he was limbless all game?

He still seems unsure of his role. He missed a couple of easy ones around the rim and had a few looks from 3 that didn't fall, it was just one of those games. But you can tell he's unsure if he should play inside or outside.

He still seems unsure of his role. He missed a couple of easy ones around the rim and had a few looks from 3 that didn't fall, it was just one of those games. But you can tell he's unsure if he should play inside or outside.

Interesante.

I think he could be the most dominant player in the ACC if he played within 18 feet.

Interesante.

I think he could be the most dominant player in the ACC if he played within 18 feet.
When DC is in, it takes up space for TL I think. But DC has been really solid offensively the last 2 games and Roberson hasn't been good, so it's hard to take him out. Most of the time our best offensive team is Lydon at the 5, with Robey at the 4 to be active on the boards - but with the way DC and Robey are playing, DC will continue to get more PT.

When DC is in, it takes up space for TL I think. But DC has been really solid offensively the last 2 games and Roberson hasn't been good, so it's hard to take him out. Most of the time our best offensive team is Lydon at the 5, with Robey at the 4 to be active on the boards - but with the way DC and Robey are playing, DC will continue to get more PT.

That's alright with me. I'm enjoying the slight progression I'm seeing with Frank driving through the middle of the lane for a finger role then half the time dishing the dime to a wide open player. I hope Lydon and Coleman can be found open on the blocks like Grant used to be. Howards long and swift enough to get by most defenders, especially on transition.

Everyone is pretty good at making excuses for Lydon. My personal fave is "he's playing against smaller guys!" Fact is, he's not playing well. The end. Oh and this was probably the beginning of the end of Battle at SU

Everyone is pretty good at making excuses for Lydon. My personal fave is "he's playing against smaller guys!" Fact is, he's not playing well. The end. Oh and this was probably the beginning of the end of Battle at SU
sad_jon_snow.gif

Just my $0.02 but Lydon is not cut out to be a SF in college, especially against teams with no size. Doesn't have a strong post game and if he's in as a SF, there's no room to post him up against the smaller defenders anyway. Now that he's going to be the starting PF going forward, it might free him up a little more. He's going to be most effective as a stretch-4 on offense with 1 other post player. It opens the entire offense up.

With that said, when he takes shots, he's just missing them right now. Had some looks inside yesterday that he just wasn't strong enough with, or rushed them a bit. Maybe that's just an inherited trait of our PFs now, because TR seems to shoot about 35% on his layup attempts too. He had his share of looks from 3 that looked clean, he's just not making it. Seems to be regressing a bit to his mid-season freshman tendencies to pass up some open looks too.

It's a very different game when you're the #1 or #2 option on the scouting reports than when you're 3 or 4.

Fact of yesterday is that Lydon played exactly like un-beast Roberson does: he missed multiple lay ups and wasn't particularly active on the boards.

I thought Roberson was ok when he was in. He was active and got a good number of rebounds. He didn't score but we got soundly drubbed on the boards by UNF and part of that was his limited run.

Clearly, TL gets slack Roberson doesn't primarily because he has demonstrated much more offensive skill over time. But to me, it seems like JB just doesn't appreciate Robie at all. Doesn't really like his game. He always minimizes his upside and focuses on his downside.

Fact is, we know that you have to get through slow stretches with Robie to get to his big games. His big games are needed for us to have real success this year. So coach has to figure this out or our ceiling is much lower than we're all hoping for.

We must have missed 7 bunnies, particularly in the first half. Ball would roll around the rim, then plunk out. What is that? Not committed to making the basket? Thinking ahead to running back down the court vs. playing in the moment? Flabby forearms? What? It was eerie.

Just my $0.02 but Lydon is not cut out to be a SF in college, especially against teams with no size. Doesn't have a strong post game and if he's in as a SF, there's no room to post him up against the smaller defenders anyway. Now that he's going to be the starting PF going forward, it might free him up a little more. He's going to be most effective as a stretch-4 on offense with 1 other post player. It opens the entire offense up.

With that said, when he takes shots, he's just missing them right now. Had some looks inside yesterday that he just wasn't strong enough with, or rushed them a bit. Maybe that's just an inherited trait of our PFs now, because TR seems to shoot about 35% on his layup attempts too. He had his share of looks from 3 that looked clean, he's just not making it. Seems to be regressing a bit to his mid-season freshman tendencies to pass up some open looks too.

It's a very different game when you're the #1 or #2 option on the scouting reports than when you're 3 or 4.

If he's not cut out to play SF in college he sure as heck isn't in the NBA.

He really does need to play the 4 or 5 to be most effective. Hopefully we don't see him much at the 3 going forward.

With the way Roberson and TT are playing, 72 MIA and Coleman not playing a ton, I'm sure Lydon at the 3 is done.

And take away his best ability?
He'll still have open chances, shouldn't be taking 5-8 3's a game though. It's a waste. I think 2-4 open threes is all he needs.

TL didn't improve at all over the off season. He should have either gotten better in the post or with his triple threat (ball handling) game. His shot isn't lightning quick and he isn't the type who makes shots over smaller players with his high release. He needs to utilize his height in SOME way by having a post game. He has no post game which makes him counter productive when you put a smaller/quicker guy on him. He essentially has to be wide open to score. He may make a nice bucket every now and then down low but usually his points are coming from catch and shoot threes. Needs more to his game. ZERO ability off the bounce.

The problem for Lydon isn't the title of SF or PF, which are largely irrelevant in Boeheim's system. The problem is with Coleman (or Chukwu) and Roberson on the floor, there is no space for Lydon in the paint. Lydon is stuck on the wing in those situations, but as we saw last year with Lydon at the 5, he is most effective when he can be an inside and outside threat. It forces a big man to be on him all over the court, and my guess would be Roberson rebounded better offensively when Lydon was at the 5 because he would drag a big man out of the paint.

He can't put the ball on the floor and penetrate and he doesn't have much of a post game - he's a decent athlete with length that can shoot - problem is he has not been shooting well - never seen him get abused on the boards like the North Florida game - still think he's our best player so hopefully he gets out of this funk soon

The problem for Lydon isn't the title of SF or PF, which are largely irrelevant in Boeheim's system.

If you have Roberson and Lydon in the game, the smaller, faster, and maybe more athletic player guards Lydon while the bigger guy guards Roberson. You have White in then you have the bigger guy guarding Lydon and the smaller one guarding White giving Lydon and the offense a big advantage. 1. The larger defender is now on the perimeter and not close to the basket. 2. Lydon is now faster than his defender and that pump fake turns into a far larger advantage.

On defense, no, not at all, on offense, it's a huge move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom