Dino and the media | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the media

Oh, I wasn’t saying tough. Opposite actually. Too thin skinned, little bit naive, too honest on twitter - and my fav: not empathetic enough with their audience.

You don’t have to be a cheerleader to understand how the info you’re relating would hit a diehard fan, player, or staff. You can deliver bad news in a way that says “I feel your pain” ... it may be twitter and access that it gives us to their inner-thoughts combined with immediacy that makes it feel like they are sticking it to us.

I don't think it's their job to be empathetic with sports fans.

However, it does strike me that all sorts of people -- all sorts -- might be better off if they said less or nothing on twitter.

It's hard to place much stock in a guy who doesn't understand the difference between a fact and an opinion.

That’s really uncalled for. Believe what you want, but you are wrong.

I can’t speak for anyone else at .com, but what I said about Bailey is factual. I have my opinion about others, but whatever. You didn’t see CNY6 taking pot shots at Babers.

That’s really uncalled for. Believe what you want, but you are wrong.

I can’t speak for anyone else at .com, but what I said about Bailey is factual. I have my opinion about others, but whatever. You didn’t see CNY6 taking pot shots at Babers.

Here's a fact: Dino Babers is the head football coach at Syracuse University.

Here are a few opinions: Dino is a good coach. Dino is a bad coach. Dino is a mediocre coach.

Only facts are facts.

I disagree a little bit - A) I think our reporters are cats compared to real markets and B) I think the average fan (let alone the rabid SU fan) thinks our press team are idiots who are strictly trying to up their compensation thru clicks and comments. JB's genius is he gets that the local media doesn't matter. He is a totally different person with the national guys for a reason.

what's a real market though? most colleges are located in small markets. college towns.

disagree on the average fan. imo the general public average syracuse fan thinks these writers are professional and knowledgeable. why wouldn’t they? my dad picks up the syracuse paper on sunday morning he doesn't know anything about these yoyo's. nobody outside of this message board knows who they are and dissects their resumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIL
Here's a fact: Dino Babers is the head football coach at Syracuse University.

Here are a few opinions: Dino is a good coach. Dino is a bad coach. Dino is a mediocre coach.

Only facts are facts.

If it makes you feel better than call it that then, it’s just not my personal opinion.

I don't think it's their job to be empathetic with sports fans.

However, it does strike me that all sorts of people -- all sorts -- might be better off if they said less or nothing on twitter.

It’s their job to build an audience. I’d care more about what they say if they made it feel like we’re all in this together instead of a disdain for the thing they are covering. It’s human nature. And missing in journalism, IMO.

Again look at the basketball beat writers.
They are professionals.

Again newspapers writing is a dying industry maybe that is part of it.

Covering the team is suppose to be about coverage for fans.
Columnists are about opinion.

I feel bad for Syracuse locals and the Standard does everything it can to generate reactions for clicks/$.

Thus they deserve the criticism from fans who can’t stand it.

It’s their job to build an audience. I’d care more about what they say if they made it feel like we’re all in this together instead of a disdain for the thing they are covering. It’s human nature. And missing in journalism, IMO.

Yet their wider readership might well be turned off by that sort of fawning coverage. Remember that they're not writing only for the hard-core junkies -- and I include myself in that category -- but for a wider readership with varying levels of interest.

Again, it's not 1956.

Yet their wider readership might well be turned off by that sort of fawning coverage. Remember that they're not writing only for the hard-core junkies -- and I include myself in that category -- but for a wider readership with varying levels of interest.

Again, it's not 1956.
It's not 1956, but it shouldn't be TMZ or Buzzfeed either, where they are just trying to get as many clicks as possible by twisting words.

Again, it's not 1956.

I didn't say fawning. I said empathetic.

It makes more sense to build an audience that is vocal and rabid about what they are covering than the few people who are reading about Syracuse football for some unknown reason, but don't really care. Repeat customers who live in the neighborhood vs the tourist who happens to be in your shop.

139735-140265.jpg

They are professionals.

I feel bad for Syracuse locals and the Standard does everything it can to generate reactions for clicks/$.

I miss Dave Rahme:)

I'd strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't actually watched the press conference to go do that. I first read the media piece, and was like wow can't believe Dino would call out the fan base like that, then I watched the press conference because I know that it is really hard to judge the point someone is trying to make without listening to the inflection in their voice, and looking at their body language.

This was another hack job by the local asylum looking for clicks and comments to drive ad revenue, and trying to stir up controversy where there was none. Dino wasn't calling the fan base immature or saying that we didn't know how to support a football team.
i stopped watching them a long time ago as i cannot hear the questions

They are professionals.

Wasn't it Mike Waters who went off on Dino over this issue yesterday? And wasn't it the football writers -- or at least Mink -- who basically defended Dino?

I like Mike Waters, but just saying.

Wasn't it Mike Waters who went off on Dino over this issue yesterday? And wasn't it the football writers -- or at least Mink -- who basically defended Dino?

I like Mike Waters, but just saying.

Carlson started it. Mink is going to defend Dino because he’s the only guy Babers trusts at .com and they need that relationship.

If you watch the video and don't listen to the idiots int he media, he was talking about the SU FOOTBALL COMMUNITY MEANING THE COACHING STAFF AND TEAM.

He absolutely did not mean the actual media or the community at large being the fans.

When he says community and then says we didn't handle it well, he is not talking about anyone outside the locker room. He even says as much in his statement.

Stop reading what idiots are typing and watch the press conference for God sakes. Watch the tape and don't read the transcript.
He pointed at the media sitting in front of him. Maybe you missed that part

Plain and simple the local Syracuse media outside of Waters/Ditota flat out suck.
I wish they wouldn’t hide behind their lurking and realize fans can’t stand their routines.

Rahme was good.
Since him Syracuse football coverage blows.
Good job Dino.
Good job, what? Blaming others for the collapse?

Other than getting under the skin of some extremely sensitive fans, is Babers wrong? Or just being blatantly truthful and setting expectations?

Yes, he made all of the appearances he could after the Clemson win. That's part of his IMG contract. No one wants to interview a losing coach, but EVERYONE wants to interview the upset-winning coach of a historical program perceivably on the rise. This is important to understand.

Our local media has left a bad taste in my mouth since Marrone's tenure. They do not do themselves any favors.
The local media was abused by ego maniac Marrone. He was a total jerk to them. the media have a job to do and it isn't being a P.R. person for the school. The school already has one. Marrone was out of line in the way he treated Webb and it cost us a good guy on the beat. And Dino was wrong yesterday. I have heard that he walked it back today.

The local media was abused by ego maniac Marrone. He was a total jerk to them. the media have a job to do and it isn't being a P.R. person for the school. The school already has one. Marrone was out of line in the way he treated Webb and it cost us a good guy on the beat. And Dino was wrong yesterday. I have heard that he walked it back today.

Why were the .com people the only people who took it personally then? Literally no other media outlet in town took it the same way.

It doesnt really matter to me. But that doesnt mean i wont comment on something i found to be absurd, almost churlish.

All he really had to say were the last few sentences (which were great, right on, and inspiring). Or something like, "I know everyone got really excited when we beat Clemson. I did too. It was a great win and is emblematic of where this program can ultimately go. But we arent there yet. When healthy, we have the the ability to give some very good teams, a really tough game. But we arent at there level yet. But we are working everyday to get there. We practice in a completely unique way. We recruit in a way that i know will bear fruit. The University is invested in this program. And we will get there. Be patient. Have faith."

I don't see anything wrong with what he said.
And if he spoke somewhat awkwardly about the local media or the fans, well, hell, the guy is human, and he probably thought we had turned the corner, too. It's got to hurt like hell the way we folded up against Wake in the 2nd half. That was the end of the season. Guys were either gassed, or playing hurt, or 3rd string in the case of that one safety that got lit up.
Hurts like hell.
But like Wildhack said during the basketball game, you can see how we are SO much better than last year, and we have a really solid class coming in that is going to provide a lot of quality depth.
Cut Dino some slack. He had a tough finish to a season that he was pretty sure we was going to be bowling just a short time ago.

Why were the .com people the only people who took it personally then? Literally no other media outlet in town took it the same way.
He shut them out. And like the jerkoff he was, he wouldn't tell him why or meet with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom