Dino Babers: Year 1 at Syracuse was 'like watching paint dry' (ESPN) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers: Year 1 at Syracuse was 'like watching paint dry' (ESPN)

I love dino and am all in in him. That said, all the we were playing too slow, paint drying comments do get old. We were top 7-8 in tempo this year, what's the big deal? Also, the things clicking prediction i dont take seriously. There are too many variables to be able ro predict that. Heck, we might click from snap #1 in 2017.
t gi
Honestly, I can completely understand what Babers is saying. Could've run a bunch more plays; tons of false starts and offsides killed tempo way too much. When that stops, and our OL fully integrates the various blocking schemes into their noggins, we'll likely see Petrino's boys "cramp up" when Dino calls a timeout.

I love dino and am all in in him. That said, all the we were playing too slow, paint drying comments do get old. We were top 7-8 in tempo this year, what's the big deal? Also, the things clicking prediction i dont take seriously. There are too many variables to be able ro predict that. Heck, we might click from snap #1 in 2017.

I personally don't mind it. He's not trying to create an 8 win team here. He wants to compete with the Elites and have the expectation that we could beat any of them. Shoot, Saban was all pissy when they only beat whichever team that was by 30 something. That's why bama is as good as they are (*obviously there's more than just that). So I'll take his complaints. If he's as good as he wants to be the only ones getting annoyed with those complaints are the other teams we destroy. I don't know if Babers would be satisfied with just being the #1 tempo offense either. He wants the whole bag. I'm hopeful.

I personally don't mind it. He's not trying to create an 8 win team here. He wants to compete with the Elites and have the expectation that we could beat any of them. Shoot, Saban was all pissy when they only beat whichever team that was by 30 something. That's why bama is as good as they are (*obviously there's more than just that). So I'll take his complaints. If he's as good as he wants to be the only ones getting annoyed with those complaints are the other teams we destroy. I don't know if Babers would be satisfied with just being the #1 tempo offense either. He wants the whole bag. I'm hopeful.

Oh I know he is going for it, but for the love of god, the paint drying BS isnt needed. We had super tempo this year and no need to keep selling the year 2, game 4-6 thing! Geeez, thats weak. We love the offense and it might click from day 1 on 2017.

Oh I know he is going for it, but for the love of god, the paint drying BS isnt needed. We had super tempo this year and no need to keep selling the year 2, game 4-6 thing! Geeez, thats weak. We love the offense and it might click from day 1 on 2017.
Kinda think he does. Lots of us, including myself were, at times, a bit impatient this past season. Also, we're gonna have a bunch of the red shirts stepping up, and those first few games are gonna be a bit of an eye opener for them. Getting popped by a teammate during practice is one thing; getting popped for the first time, full bore, by an opposing D1 lineman who wants nothing more than to rip off your head and sht down your throat is something else, entirely.

Kinda think he does. Lots of us, including myself were, at times, a bit impatient this past season. Also, we're gonna have a bunch of the red shirts stepping up, and those first few games are gonna be a bit of an eye opener for them. Getting popped by a teammate during practice is one thing; getting popped for the first time, full bore, by an opposing D1 lineman who wants nothing more than to rip off your head and sht down your throat is something else, entirely.

Agree bcubs! That's my point, we aleady have the tempo thing down and the variability that is 18-22 yo kids, we can hit it in early September easily;)

Agree bcubs! That's my point, we aleady have the tempo thing down and the variability that is 18-22 yo kids, we can hit it in early September easily;)
If they play disciplined, by avoiding the false starts and offsides, and if they've been hitting it hard in the field house and film room, then it's possible. Still, that first good pop is gonna make them think a bit.

Yeah, it's not like he has history as a factor in giving his estimation.

Why the need for the "paint drying " comment and the it probably won't work until mid 2017? We were top 10 in speed and tempo this year, so why the drama?

t gi
Honestly, I can completely understand what Babers is saying. Could've run a bunch more plays; tons of false starts and offsides killed tempo way too much. When that stops, and our OL fully integrates the various blocking schemes into their noggins, we'll likely see Petrino's boys "cramp up" when Dino calls a timeout.

Spot on.

I think the media is misinterpreting his comments. I think he means overall tempo AND efficiency. They are focusing too much on the shiny object, not on the stats that say our gains will come in doing the little things better. And then converting yards and extra possessions into points.

That's true, but he can extrapolate the amount of time it takes to implement his offensive scheme from his observations while serving as a position coach and OC at Baylor, etc.

I get it and hopefully we click in September. I guess its the "slow pace " comments which bug me more. We are hummin and if we slow down to get everyone on the same page once in a while, then yes! Thats smart!:)

He has zero estimation at the p5 level.
Level should be irrelevant, because he's talking about how long it takes his offensive players to "get it" with the scheme, so they can act without thinking, at full speed. Are you saying that P5 players take longer to get it?

Level should be irrelevant, because he's talking about how long it takes his offensive players to "get it" with the scheme, so they can act without thinking, at full speed. Are you saying that P5 players take longer to get it?

No, P5 players might get it in less time. If ED stays healthy , we are a well oiled machine the second half of the season.

get the dome done to help our recruiting, which at this point is not really good. then WIN games. simple ----. i am all in on babers but he needs to helped out. i believe the ad is and chancellor are all in on supporting him. my problem is i am impatient, re the dome renovation as another recruiting class almost due. just saying

No, P5 players might get it in less time. If ED stays healthy , we are a well oiled machine the second half of the season.
According to the Head Coach, who is the only person that matters, he says we were well oiled crap the whole season and will be until about halfway next season.

And why would you assume that a P5 player would get his system in less time? They are more talented, not necessarily smarter. This is about muscle memory, recognition and repetition and Babers has said so himself, it takes time. And that time has been shown to HCDB to be between the 4th and 6th game of the second season.

The paint drying comments are an attempt to illustrate what it's like from a coaches perspective. We see the fastest tempo we've ever seen in the dome. The staff is seeing 12 year olds grasp the nuances of digital logic. From their perspective it's painfully slow.

I love how you're pissed at our coach asking for more and even better. What do you want him to say? "Nah, I'm content. This offense is flawless."

You don't get what i am saying. Its the "faster " comments that i have fatigue with. Faster doesn't necessarily = better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom