Dino Babers: Year 1 at Syracuse was 'like watching paint dry' (ESPN) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers: Year 1 at Syracuse was 'like watching paint dry' (ESPN)

1. I don't gamble.

2. Until proven otherwise, I'll trust his take. What good would second-guessing do?

The same good as any fan discussion on this board.

His take is that something comes together on offense, precisely in games 4 to 6 of his second season, because it takes that long to install his system. And you can look at his past gigs to confirm that -- if you also consider who he had at QB and WR at that stage of those gigs. My second guess is this -- who does he have at QB in that stretch? Do the new guys at TE and WR (or other spots, maybe RB) inherit the lessons learned in season 1? The true frosh? The grad transfers?

So, my guess is that the defense finally comes together next season, even if the offense lets some paint dry.

The same good as any fan discussion on this board.

His take is that something comes together on offense, precisely in games 4 to 6 of his second season, because it takes that long to install his system. And you can look at his past gigs to confirm that -- if you also consider who he had at QB and WR at that stage of those gigs. My second guess is this -- who does he have at QB in that stretch? Do the new guys at TE and WR (or other spots, maybe RB) inherit the lessons learned in season 1? The true frosh? The grad transfers?

So, my guess is that the defense finally comes together next season, even if the offense lets some paint dry.

That's a thousand times more coherent than the posts I was responding to.

You could be right. I think IF Dungey is back or if we go with Rex (maybe Mahoney, but he's limited as a starter IMO), QB is the most important. I don't think we'll see any new to the program WR's in a starting role. The OL returns a bunch of young players and rumblings of RS guys that might be good. So if the passing game and tempo are there, and then you add a great TE?

At BG, he had the same RB and WR (not sure on OL). He started with the fat pirate at QB but he got injured year one, went with his #2. But they were cooking with fat pirate #1 on that timeframe.

I'd also throw in this will be Spring practice #2, and Fall practice #2 for a lot of key offensive cogs. They get triple the reps in practice and with the way they teach (billion reps > video after), they will grow a lot this offseason.

Cusian, I hope you are right on all counts. I believe it depends on talent, including line blocking, running backs, WRs -- all the usual ingredients of an offense, and then a fast pace is the cherry on top.

t gi
Honestly, I can completely understand what Babers is saying. Could've run a bunch more plays; tons of false starts and offsides killed tempo way too much. When that stops, and our OL fully integrates the various blocking schemes into their noggins, we'll likely see Petrino's boys "cramp up" when Dino calls a timeout.

Well put. "Clicking" refers to everyone getting everything right the vast majority of the time. No stupid mistakes, reads made correctly, people being where they are supposed to be, etc. The kids did a great job this season with the whole new system put in place and 2017 should be much easier on these kids. I fully expect a bowl game and to be in more games than not from this team.

P5 has nothing to do with it. He is not talking wins and losses; he's talking understanding and executing. That learning curve is the same for all 18-22 Y.O. college footballers.

I get that, its about comprehension. I just don't subscribe to the game 6 switch thing. With ED back and key OL and recievers, it might click from game one in 2017 after another full camp together.

Oh ok, pipe down, i understand how we are playing, i get it. I have been on board since day 1. Some of you just enjoy all the bravado stuff more than i do. I love Dino's personality and energy but there are times when you slow it down to get it right and there's nothing wrong with that.
In some offenses, yes, there are times when they "slow it down to get it right." In Babers' offense, slowing it down to get it right is against the core elements that make up the offense. So I have no problem with him taking issue with that on a consistent basis.

Dino is spot on. Between ED being out the OL a mash unit we didn't come close to performing at the level we will.

Hate to burst bubbles, he also said this job might take longer than game 4-6 year 2.

I think he was surprised at where he was actually starting from.

Hate to burst bubbles, he also said this job might take longer than game 4-6 year 2.

When he got here he was adamant about that timeline. Then right before the season, he backtracked a little. Then at the end - right back to that timeline.

Who knows? It might take longer. But until that happens, I think we roll with the guy who's done it twice.

most of us have no ideas where the mistakes were that caused the offense to struggle in key areas of the game.. you need all the pieces working on most plays to have a productive outcome. there were so many plays that on review broke down because of one blocking mistake, but how many because the qb/wr werent on the same page or it took one of them too long recognize what they were seeing.

maybe the running schemes are harder to pick up than the passing schemes? almost all the oline will have had 12-18 months in the system by mid year. if that leads to running success then the tempo can go up more consistently and the D cant just T off on the pass plays.

this is something will be revisiting in Dec next year and hopefully in a positive way

He hasn't wavered from the kids clicking between games 4-6 of year 2. Kids could click really really well and still lose based on the teams and talent level we are playing against.

Because of that, he has changed his tune about how long it is going to take to win games and become a contender in our division and conference. Now that he has seen the level of competition.

Two different things.

He hasn't wavered from the kids clicking between games 4-6 of year 2. Kids could click really really well and still lose based on the teams and talent level we are playing against.

Because of that, he has changed his tune about how long it is going to take to win games and become a contender in our division and conference. Now that he has seen the level of competition.

Two different things.
Nuance and thoughtfulness has no place here.

Oh ok, pipe down, i understand how we are playing, i get it. I have been on board since day 1. Some of you just enjoy all the bravado stuff more than i do. I love Dino's personality and energy but there are times when you slow it down to get it right and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think you're the one who doesn't get it. Going faster means it's tougher on the defense. Making it tougher on the defense makes it easier to score. Scoring more makes it easier to win, which is our goal. For him, maybe it WAS like watching paint dry. When it gets to the point the players feel the same, we will be awesome. After seeing us click for several plays and then struggle to get the play in and get set, I also felt like I was watching paint dry. It's all about perspective...what you're used to seeing.

I think you're the one who doesn't get it. Going faster means it's tougher on the defense. Making it tougher on the defense makes it easier to score. Scoring more makes it easier to win, which is our goal. For him, maybe it WAS like watching paint dry. When it gets to the point the players feel the same, we will be awesome. After seeing us click for several plays and then struggle to get the play in and get set, I also felt like I was watching paint dry. It's all about perspective...what you're used to seeing.

I get the whole concept, the scheme, its impact on opposing defenses. Thing is plays per game we weren't that far off the mark, national top 10. So paint dry i took as a bit strong and bravado. Also, i love the speed, but every high octane offense slows it down for key/pivotal plays a few times a game and that throws the stats off a bit. Happy Holidays fellas.

I get the whole concept, the scheme, its impact on opposing defenses. Thing is plays per game we weren't that far off the mark, national top 10. So paint dry i took as a bit strong and bravado. Also, i love the speed, but every high octane offense slows it down for key/pivotal plays a few times a game and that throws the stats off a bit. Happy Holidays fellas.
Ish, I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot about being in the top ten. I would bet he wants to be #1 and with a large gap between us and #2. We are a long ways from that. He has a vision and I believe he was being honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom