Dino turned down coaching the final game. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino turned down coaching the final game.

I feel a lot of mixed emotions about him turning down the game. On one hand, he constantly preached about fans showing up and showing their respect to the seniors for their last game. Heck, he even made a tradition out of it. Feels weird and hypocritical not to live up to your own expectations. On the other hand, if I felt like I was never supported as a coach here, I get why you wouldn't want to coach the last game. This choice overall feels like a contradiction to his preached values.

"experience in the northeast"
"good communicator"
"relationships with high schools up here"
"most successful guys grew up here..."

I see where this is going...
Where? Please, do tell.

Chesney seems the most out of the box, high risk, high reward. If he fails we probably circle back to P5 coordinator or NFL position coach.
Which is fine because we will not have given hum a dino sized contract id assume

we're not getting some random guy from outside the northeast. This won't be a Dino or GERG type hire.

To me he wants a teacher, a communicator, a northeast guy, preferably someone with HC experience, P5 experience, etc.

I think the last part may have knocked out Cignetti/Chesney types and opened the door to the Bill O'Brien, Doug Marrone world. Guys calling him would make me think it's someone who didn't realize this would open so quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if SU football players reached out to coach after the Coach Prime experiment. Nothing surprises me at this point.
Absolutely agree.

I think we can still get a "win one for Dino" effort out of the guys.

Really think winning Saturday and getting that bowl is big. I know it's not clear how much impact the 15 extra practices actually have, but if they're with a new head coach... really feels like that would be helpful for evaluating players and selling them on where they'd fit.

I know some are jazzed for a total rebuild, but there is talent here and we need to keep some critical guys. We also want to take advantage of next year's creamy soft schedule to get the new big boss some momentum since 2025 looks like it'll be an uphill climb.

I feel a lot of mixed emotions about him turning down the game. On one hand, he constantly preached about fans showing up and showing their respect to the seniors for their last game. Heck, he even made a tradition out of it. Feels weird and hypocritical not to live up to your own expectations. On the other hand, if I felt like I was never supported as a coach here, I get why you wouldn't want to coach the last game. This choice overall feels like a contradiction to his preached values.
And despite what he claimed, he was very much supported here. He was supported more so than any other school or community would have given the results. Fans showed up when we were winning -- both in 2018/2019 and last year. The team (and mainly the coaches) never capitalized on it. And he went out of his way not to market the team. Closed things down. Then was negative this year -- the NIL comment was a defeatist approach.

I think we can still get a "win one for Dino" effort out of the guys.

Really think winning Saturday and getting that bowl is big. I know it's not clear how much impact the 15 extra practices actually have, but if they're with a new head coach... really feels like that would be helpful for evaluating players and selling them on where they'd fit.

I know some are jazzed for a total rebuild, but there is talent here and we need to keep some critical guys. We also want to take advantage of next year's creamy soft schedule to get the new big boss some momentum since 2025 looks like it'll be an uphill climb.
team will play hard, i have no doubt. they have a bowl game on the line. and they will have a new coach to impress (or the portal).

He wants to go out a loser ? how noble. Wake game is very winnable. well so much for "family".

Last edited:
Dino was the most financially supported Syracuse employee of all time if you think about it. No one else has been given the toys he's had. He has nothing to be angry about in terms of SU. If he has a "side to his story" we'll hear about it shortly but on paper it makes no sense why he wouldn't want to coach these guys one more time. I get no bowl but the game this week why not

I too feel mixed emotions - but when asked if you would like to coach one last game I’d like to think one would put ego and self aside, and support your “stepsons”.

As it turns out, with respect to transitioning to a new coach, it may be better that he not coach vs Wake, but that is another discussion.

100% There was a thread yesterday that touched/speculated on this, which, IMO I had no doubt to be true.

In my view, this really speaks volumes, actually for me, it simply solidifies how I've felt for a long time. Which is, without a doubt, a full tilt style over substance individual.

He's been paid millions and is walking away with millions yet to be paid.

These are all his players and if he doesn't want to bookend his time here with one more runout as a tribute them (if no one else) then so be it... Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out... whatevs.

Actually, if Campanile and any of the other assistants may be in the running for retention by the new HC for recruiting, etc., I actually think that's a good thing he'll have the keys for this one. If that is a real possibility, I could see Dino wanting to hand the keys over to Nunzio in that situation perhaps... alllow one of your key assistants to showcase himself.

On one hand, it would be nice if Dino agreed to coach the last game, and would seem in line with his values. On the other - I remember a Notre Dame team which completely threw in the towel in Faust’s last game against Miami.

I think in the end, I don’t really care if a coach agrees to coach his last game or not - there isn’t a clear “right” decision. And honestly if Dino coached and we lost to WF and miss a bowl, the board would be loaded with comments about how he should have stepped aside and not been a distraction to the team - we’re at the point where if we can kick him and blame stuff on him - we will. It’s not fair, but it happens everywhere and in every type of business.

Per Wildhack. That's suprrising.

I am surprised. Disappointed.

But it actually helps retain some of the student athletes I bet. Dino not being there to say "Don't worry about me and thank you, etc" would be emotional.

Gut says that for a man that has never been in the same city more than three years since 1984, eight years in Syracuse was more than enough.

Good luck to him...but this is a little owie on the way out.

I hear he needs to finish all the noodles left in the pantry. No time to coach

The focus should be on the Seniors playing their last game.

Not on a coach that most of the fanbase wanted gone years ago.

Are people really that upset they won't have the opportunity to BOO Dino one last time?
I wanted him gone. I got my wish. I would actually applaud Dino and thank him for the job he tried todo, but wasn’t up to. And I would be happy to see him finish what he started and not run off with his tail between his legs. To me this reeks. So much for the family thing.

I like Wildhack, he is measured and comes across as careful and methodical. He also shared how 7-5 was the needed number, and I think most in here would agree that was fair.
It was beyond fair. I would have found 7-5 to be disappointing given we achieved that last year and our schedule was notably easier this season.

JW gave Dino a pretty low bar and he still couldn’t clear it.

You’ve been in Hawaii for how long and you’re still capable of typing? #disappointed
My wonderful gf was not budging on staying in last night and, as a veteran of pissing her off, I am saving my trip to the doghouse for later in the trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom