Dino turned down coaching the final game. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dino turned down coaching the final game.

What a hypocrite. All this O’HaNA BS he’s been laying down for 8 years and he can’t coach his seniors in his last game? Shafer and Gerg did it. Take your money and run. Probably all ready has his house listed.

My best man has a very close/good bud that lives right next to Dino. We were joking yesterday how his house, in all probability, will be listed right after the Thanksgiving holiday. :)

It was beyond fair. I would have found 7-5 to be disappointing given we achieved that last year and our schedule was notably easier this season.

JW gave Dino a pretty low bar and he still couldn’t clear it.
Exactly. I think the logic was, we went 7-5 last year. Going the same this year with a markedly easier schedule is technically a step back but enough to stomach. 6-6 would have been a significant step backwards and too much to take for year 8.

If SU really wanted him to coach the last game, they would have waited until the last game was over to fire him.

Maybe Dino did not want to be a distraction for the players on senior day and with a bowl on the line. I get that Shafer and Gerg did it but come on, how awkward is that?

Dino is a great person who represented SU well even though it did not work out on the field. His legacy for that is not tainted by this decision. He was and still is a class act.

I’m glad he isn’t coaching but I think he preached Ohana and then didn’t practice it regarding his seniors. I’m really excited to see Coach Campanile try to lead Syracuse to Bowl Eligibility. Go Orange!!!!!

My wonderful gf was not budging on staying in last night and, as a veteran of pissing her off, I am saving my trip to the doghouse for later in the trip
I can’t believe you invited her.

I have absolutely no trouble with his not coaching the last game. Once the firing was announced, there's no point in his hanging around. Best for everybody to move ahead with the transition.

I think we can still get a "win one for Dino" effort out of the guys.

Really think winning Saturday and getting that bowl is big. I know it's not clear how much impact the 15 extra practices actually have, but if they're with a new head coach... really feels like that would be helpful for evaluating players and selling them on where they'd fit.

I know some are jazzed for a total rebuild, but there is talent here and we need to keep some critical guys. We also want to take advantage of next year's creamy soft schedule to get the new big boss some momentum since 2025 looks like it'll be an uphill climb.
I think the “win one for Dino” aspect ended the moment Dino refused to coach the last game. Now they play for their school and themselves. Which is still a lot.

Clearly in the minority but I commend him for stepping aside as a lame duck and letting another coach be able to get an audition(s, if we bowl) for their next job.

I think the “win one for Dino” aspect ended the moment Dino refused to coach the last game. Now they play for their school and themselves. Which is still a lot.
Maybe.

Guys are motivated by different things, though.

Shafer and Robinson elected to coach the team. Let that sink in.

I have a big problem with a coach taking his check and going home. Unless he's sick I think ti's BS. Even if it's a lose/lose find it slightly unprofessional
Exactly. There was some poster yesterday beating the drum on what a good standup guy Dino is. Actions speak louder than words. Good riddance

Did Dino even say goodbye? Maybe Dino jumping ship will help retain certain players who were pledged to that ship.

Dino didn’t “jump ship”. He got fired.

How many of you would show up to the office on Monday if your boss fired you on Sunday?

If he had coached against Wake, would you also allow him to coach the team in a bowl game if they win? Nonsense.

As far as “players being pissed” cause Dino declined the option of coaching against Wake, I’m hearing players are pissed. But not because Dino decided not to coach after being fired. Some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game. Older players don’t really care about 2024, 2025 or “what’s best for the program in the long run”, they care about NOW. They care about what will be their last game in the Dome and what could be the last game of their college career.

Dino was fired. He did not quit.

It is time to MOVE ON, not time to pile on.

As far as players “committed to that ship”. Some are already talking about hitting the portal.

Syracuse players are eligible to enter the portal NOW. When a head coach is fired during the season, players have a 30 day window to enter the portal. This would give every player at Syracuse a two week head start to explore their options just as Wildhack wanted to get a head start at finding the next head coach.

Moving on….

Last edited:
Makes Dinos search for his next job easier. I am disappointed that he chose not to coach the last game, that decision is not on brand for how he represents himself. I wondered if maybe there was a possibility we would have another head coach under contract by Saturday and that might complicate things?

Dino didn’t “jump ship”. He got fired.

How many of you would show up to the office on Monday if your boss fired you on Sunday?

If he had coached against Wake, would you also allow him to coach the team in a bowl game if they win? Nonsense.

As far as “players being pissed” cause Dino declined the option of coaching against Wake, I’m hearing players are pissed. But not because Dino decided not to coach after being fired. Some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game. Older players don’t really care about 2024, 2025 or “what’s best for the program in the long run”, they care about NOW. They care about what will be their last game in the Dome and what could be the last game of their college career.

Dino was fired. He did not quit.

It is time to MOVE ON, not time to pile on.

As far as players “committed to that ship”. Some are already talking about hitting the portal.

Syracuse players are eligible to enter the portal NOW. When a head coach is fired during the season, players have a 30 day window to enter the portal. This would give every player at Syracuse a two week head start to explore their options just as Wildhack wanted to get a head start at finding the next head coach.

Moving on….

I don't equate coaching college football to being a back office associate at fidelity.

Coaching is fun and teaching young men is aspirational thing. Being able to coach with zero expectations is probably a very liberating feeling. I think he's losing out on coaching these guys on the way out. It's senior day, he wouldn't be taking anything away from anyone.

Boeheim's exit took away from the seniors because of how bonkers it was.

Think Dino did the right thing by not coaching vs. Wake but as far as the players talking portal now, that’s an issue. The current team with eligibility should be concerned about playing their butts off and maybe going to a bowl for the new HC will see on film which players quit and they will probably not be on next yrs team. Remember in ‘09 when Marrone came in and cleaned house from Robinson’s mess. Will happen again so get ready for many new faces wearing orange in ‘24.

Not sure how “some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game” when Wildhack offered as much, yet Dino declined.

To some, Dino can do no wrong. As if he is perfect or something. It’s kind of odd.

I don't equate coaching college football to being a back office associate at fidelity.

Coaching is fun and teaching young men is aspirational thing. Being able to coach with zero expectations is probably a very liberating feeling. I think he's losing out on coaching these guys on the way out. It's senior day, he wouldn't be taking anything away from anyone.

Boeheim's exit took away from the seniors because of how bonkers it was.

You don't equate coaching college football to being a back-office associate at Fidelity, really? I don't recall making that comparison. But you're right, college coaching is very much in the public eye. Does Fidelity have fan forums where their back-office associates can be critiqued?

Coaching little league or youth league sports is FUN. Coaching on the Power 5 level is a job, a career and a lot of work. Being fired is never fun. And having your dismissal picked over like vultures pick over roadkill can't be any fun.

The consensus was people wanted Babers fired. They got it. He has been fired. Now people want to criticize him for not coaching a game after he has been fired. What a fickle bunch.

Who said anything about "being able to coach with zero expectations"?

Honestly, any conversation regarding what was said between Wildhack and Babers should have been confidential. IMO it was inappropriate to mention any specifics of that conversation in a press conference. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Wildhack had respected Dino's privacy; personnel matters and related internal conversations should be treated as confidential. It's chicken chit to mention this in a press conference when the coach no longer has a platform to explain his side.

Any comparisons to other coaches who have continued to coach the team after being fired are irrelevant. The circumstances surrounding college football today are vastly different than they were even five years ago. Previous administrations did not have a December 4th portal date hanging over their heads.

Moving on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom