Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU

I’m not sure how much transparency is needed. I rarely see from any school how much money a player got from a collective. It’s the end result that matters. And I know many athletes got NIL that kept them here or were able to bring them in from elsewhere. And I’m not sure why SU would be against Lally and his collective. I think the more the merrier.
Not about seeing what individuals get. It’s about knowing who is running the collective and that the Money is actually dispersed. SU needs to make sure the most money is raised across the collectives. If it’s hard to donate or you don’t know who is behind it, you won’t raise as much.

I don’t know if it was in the UNC Monday presser or the Perry’s Inside Scoop but I recall Babers saying last week prior to UNC that the coaches don’t do much motivation of players the week of the game. In the days after a game where a number of us doubted the readiness of our players that comment has really stood out.

Babers' comments really concern me - the timing, honesty, etc. For him to come out and say that ... I don't think that is a good sign for the rest of the season. It's like he can see storms on the horizon and wanted to get out in front of it.

Not about seeing what individuals get. It’s about knowing who is running the collective and that the Money is actually dispersed. SU needs to make sure the most money is raised across the collectives. If it’s hard to donate or you don’t know who is behind it, you won’t raise as much.

All the collectives have been transparent as to who’s running it, who the board of directors are etc.

I don’t know if it was in the UNC Monday presser or the Perry’s Inside Scoop but I recall Babers saying last week prior to UNC that the coaches don’t do much motivation of players the week of the game. In the days after a game where a number of us doubted the readiness of our players that comment has really stood out.
I think he said they didn’t have to, meaning the players were motivated themselves.

I think he said they didn’t have to, meaning the players were motivated themselves.
I'm sorry but to me it's Laziness on his part.

I know he wants to win and he trusts his players and team leaders to be ready, but the fact is they aren't... repeatedly.

His personality and demeanor can be a positive in a lot of ways but in regards to game prep and focus it seems to have the opposite effect.

Babers' comments really concern me - the timing, honesty, etc. For him to come out and say that ... I don't think that is a good sign for the rest of the season. It's like he can see storms on the horizon and wanted to get out in front of it.

He's under selling. If we don't expect much and they struggle he was right and if they do better he'll look like they over achieved and we'll say "wow, what a coaching job he did.". That's what salesmen do.

He's under selling. If we don't expect much and they struggle he was right and if they do better he'll look like they over achieved and we'll say "wow, what a coaching job he did.". That's what salesmen do.
Dino doesn't have that dog in him

Maybe, it's also possible he's just ramping up to the FSU beating SU's about to take and letting people know this is the reason why, weather valid or not, a built in excuse.

What does this even mean? I think Dino has proven that he's pretty well respected by the players. The fact that he's not a raving lunatic on the sidelines or isn't constantly giving win one for the gipper speeches? This isn't a Disney movie.

We can sit here and over analyze everything Dino says every day for the rest of the season and it doesn't mean much, 7 wins is the only thing that matters. Get there, he's good. You guys are insane with this stuff. He has had some great moments in 5-7 seasons, doesn't matter. Get 7 wins and keep going.

What does this even mean? I think Dino has proven that he's pretty well respected by the players. The fact that he's not a raving lunatic on the sidelines or isn't constantly giving win one for the gipper speeches? This isn't a Disney movie.

We can sit here and over analyze everything Dino says every day for the rest of the season and it doesn't mean much, 7 wins is the only thing that matters. Get there, he's good. You guys are insane with this stuff. He has had some great moments in 5-7 seasons, doesn't matter. Get 7 wins and keep going.
It means his style is different from some of the other high strung or high energy coaches.

He's not a Brent Snortables energy type of guy or a Prime Time showmanship style either.

He's reserved and stoic.

Kids can feed off their coaches personality. Colorado is nowhere near being the level they were hyped to be, but those kids bought into it, and they are way better than they were last year.

Oklahoma found their footing under Venables and they are having a great start.

Dinos reserved nature may have the same affect on this team

I've said it in other threads.

I'm pissed off we come out flat every week and don't show up on nationally televised games. These flat and uninspired performances just reinforce the perception of the program as a joke or not serious about playing high level football.

But we have five winnable games left after FSU against peer programs.

If Dino is truly the guy to keep the train moving, at worst he should go 3-2.

I expect 4-1, with GaTech or Pitt as the L.

Going 7-5 or 8-4, with possible bowl game win to push it to 8-5 / 9-4 should be the minimum expectation everyone has with this experienced team and this schedule.

Last edited:
All the collectives have been transparent as to who’s running it, who the board of directors are etc.
Just reporting what folks in the AD have said. Some donors didn’t want to contribute to those collectives.

It means his style is different from some of the other high strung or high energy coaches.

He's not a Brent Snortables energy type of guy or a Prime Time showmanship style either.

He's reserved and stoic.

Kids can feed off their coaches personality. Colorado is nowhere near being the level they were hyped to be, but those kids bought into it, and they are way better than they were last year.

Oklahoma found their footing under Venables and they are having a great start.

Dinos reserved nature may have the same affect on this team

I've said it in other threads.

I'm pissed off we come out flat every week and don't show up on nationally televised games. These flat and uninspired performances just reinforce the perception of the program as a joke or not serious about playing high level football.

But we have five winnable games left after FSU against peer programs.

If Dino is truly the guy to keep the train moving, at worst he should go 3-2.

I expect 4-1, with GaTech or Pitt as the L.

Going 7-5 or 8-4, with possible bowl game win to push it to 8-5 / 9-4 should be the minimum expectation everyone has with this experienced team and this schedule.
7-5 all that matters like I said. Comparing Dino to this coach, that coach etc is pointless. Makes no sense.

Were you singing Venables praises last year? I highly doubt it. Did he just become a raving lunatic this year and that's why he is winning. I think all the portal talent he brought in might have something to do with it. His roster was also decimated through transfers last year. Venables is a smarter version of Scott Shafer

Buying in? Internet banter for when teams win or lose. Lose not buying in? win buying in? Was ARMY not buying in when we beat them? Purdue?

Like I said, 7-5. The rest is just sensationalized internet hot take nonsense.

I mean we can debate how good UNC actually is, they probably wind up 10-2 at worst and a top 15 program with a top 3 draft pick at QB. I am sure Miami will play them much tougher this weekend. I mean is it that hard to comprehend that we just got manhandled by a team with better talent? It happens, has happened and will happen again but sure if you think that happens because "Dino doesn't have that dog in him" have at it. Mack Brown has recruited very very well and has a good group of athletes but you may prefer to say MACK BROWN HAS THAT DOG IN HIM!!! Have at it.

I think people are getting worked up over absolutely nothing re: “motivation”.

What is he supposed to do? Give hour-long, impassioned speeches every day?

Coaches set the schedule, set the expectations, and I have no doubt he gets on his team during practices.

I’m also sure he gives a “motivational” speech the night before the game. All coaches do.

There’s many things to be critical of when it comes to Dino. That’s not one one them.

Colorado is loaded with great athletes. And the reason why they’re doing better than people thought is because Prime’s kid is a farrrr better QB than anyone thought.

They’re better than last year because the team is literally entirely different than last year.

7-5 all that matters like I said. Comparing Dino to this coach, that coach etc is pointless. Makes no sense.

Were you singing Venables praises last year? I highly doubt it. Did he just become a raving lunatic this year and that's why he is winning. I think all the portal talent he brought in might have something to do with it. His roster was also decimated through transfers last year. Venables is a smarter version of Scott Shafer

Buying in? Internet banter for when teams win or lose. Lose not buying in? win buying in? Was ARMY not buying in when we beat them? Purdue?

Like I said, 7-5. The rest is just sensationalized internet hot take nonsense.

I mean we can debate how good UNC actually is, they probably wind up 10-2 at worst and a top 15 program with a top 3 draft pick at QB. I am sure Miami will play them much tougher this weekend. I mean is it that hard to comprehend that we just got manhandled by a team with better talent? It happens, has happened and will happen again but sure if you think that happens because "Dino doesn't have that dog in him" have at it. Mack Brown has recruited very very well and has a good group of athletes but you may prefer to say MACK BROWN HAS THAT DOG IN HIM!!! Have at it.
Good points but you have to admit it goes deeper than that. There are too many things to list that Dino can do better that have zero to do with talent or depth.

Good points but you have to admit it goes deeper than that. There are too many things to list that Dino can do better that have zero to do with talent or depth.
Sure he could. No disputing that. I think Dino is what he is at this point. I don't expect much of anything to change and that is why at the end of the day I keep going to back to the expectations that Wildhack laid out after the 2021 season, "bowl games" Now I think 6 wins is an awful gray area that everyone involved would prefer to stay out of but 7-5 he ain't going anywhere and everybody knows it. Expectations aren't met then we move on. Fans may think expectations should be higher and that can be debated but I am not the one in charge of hiring/ firing. I am sure Dino had some explaining to do after Saturday's debacle

I also feel like people here at the end of the 2021 season would have signed up for consecutive 7-5 seasons but yet continue to move the goal posts which happens I get it but lets not get carried away

And to me bowl games are nothing but exhibitions at this point because many of the kids opt out. They are like preseason for the following year, not sure most care anymore other than those competing for a title.

Last edited:

There are many styles of coaching. I never understood why people think good coaching is the guy that is animated, yells at ref's and fights for every call, shows all of his emotions and gets into kids faces when they make a mistake. It doesn't have anything to do with being a good coach.

Colorado is loaded with great athletes. And the reason why they’re doing better than people thought is because Prime’s kid is a farrrr better QB than anyone thought.

They’re better than last year because the team is literally entirely different than last year.Evenb

They’re better than last year because the team is literally entirely different than last year.
Even given that, Col on the field they are lucky to not be 1-5.

TCU is avg and schemed horribly, but it was game one of seeing what Col would do

Neb outplayed them the first half but Sims is a TO machine and stopped playing D after the offense just kept collapsing.

Col St gave them the game that they dominated
Ore killed them
USC they play the same game against everyone but let the game get close
ASU did everything but win

Prime has his kids believing for sure I give them that.

There are many styles of coaching. I never understood why people think good coaching is the guy that is animated, yells at ref's and fights for every call, shows all of his emotions and gets into kids faces when they make a mistake. It doesn't have anything to do with being a good coach.
Nope it certainly doesn't and many of the kids that elected to play at Syracuse probably did so because of Dino and what he represents, they probably prefer his style versus the style you described. It all factors in, not saying it's the only reason they came to Syracuse or factors in for every player.

All coaches have a style, kids may go to Michigan and love Harbaugh may leave like this guy is a lunatic. Parents too

Of course.

The one thing I really, really, really wish Dino did was work the refs. He doesn’t have to scream, but he’s gotta do *something*.

Of course.

The one thing I really, really, really wish Dino did was work the refs. He doesn’t have to scream, but he’s gotta do *something*.
it's not who he is. I went to the HC/BC game and Hafley was irritated to high heavens how much Chesney worked the refs. The guy is Rick Pitino energy level though.

I stand by my point that I think Dino is the right type of coach for SU because we can at least lean on the "mama and dad feel comfortable with this type of quality man" mentality when they are making a decision on where to send their kid to school. It will def limit the 5 star show me athlete but plenty of programs can win with the 2-3 stars.

It also dovetails my overall point that when the ACC collapses, we will be ultimately in a better spot competitively to where our football should be.

Going back to the NIL/SI article (mentioned earlier) and bowl game part that was mentioned by IB. Even if at some point we made the playoffs; the bigger schools would pick off a decent amount of our good players and we’d be playing a bowl game with spring scrimmage squad. And even though this isn’t directly tied to the thread, it’s just making it harder for me to be excited about CFB. A bowl game was always like a Super Bowl for me. Especially since my NFL team has sucked as much as SU. I’m slowly losing interest in CFB and it actually has nothing directly to do with SU’s lack of success in the last 20 years. I get excited for every game but bowl season was a really big deal. So for that to essentially disappear because it’s not even an important game anymore, really sucks.

it's not who he is. I went to the HC/BC game and Hafley was irritated to high heavens how much Chesney worked the refs. The guy is Rick Pitino energy level though.

I stand by my point that I think Dino is the right type of coach for SU because we can at least lean on the "mama and dad feel comfortable with this type of quality man" mentality when they are making a decision on where to send their kid to school. It will def limit the 5 star show me athlete but plenty of programs can win with the 2-3 stars.

It also dovetails my overall point that when the ACC collapses, we will be ultimately in a better spot competitively to where our football should be.
Sometimes one has to get out of their comfort zone.

I get that he’s not a screamer. But I’m convinced that his active avoidance of working the refs harms his team.

He doesn’t have to scream. There are other ways. He refuses to do it, apparently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom