Dino's Media Day Presser | 11 AM | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Media Day Presser | 11 AM

I was actually thinking the professionals teaching could lend a hand.

Definitely respect that this is your profession and I’m an outsider, but I disagree with you. Once it is streaming it now needs to be focused for the viewer. If this were behind closed doors, sure, then it can be for reporters to then report to the audience.

Let me try an analogy. The best culinary school in the country started to sell hamburgers on campus. The hamburgers stink, people hate them. People wonder why the best culinary school can’t produce a good hamburger.

There should be a higher standard set for a school that specializes in the deliverable.
Newhouse doesn't train production, aka the technical stuff. All technical needs in Newhouse are taken care of by professionals who used to work the technical side in the local news.

Students at Newhouse train for on-camera stuff and the roles that go with that (editing, writing, etc.) The professors are mostly former reporters who are only knowledgeable about the on-air stuff.

Your analogy doesn't work because what you're talking about is grill maintenance and propane installation, not ingredients and cooking times.

Slightly more complicated than that, but none of you actually care - you just like to complain.

For the record, I complained before I knew there was construction.

Dino doesn't like doing these anyway. Didn't even have an opening statement, they just started with questions, and he fit in is as many movie references as he could to make the time go faster.

For the record, I complained before I knew there was construction.

Dino doesn't like doing these anyway. Didn't even have an opening statement, they just started with questions, and he fit in is as many movie references as he could to make the time go faster.
765 people have watched his presser on YouTube in the last 24 hours. The diehards will watch regardless, and trying any harder nets SUAD... an extra $5 in ad revenue? I don't know how much SID and Marketing overlap, but I'm sure they both have bigger fish to fry. (I don't know who would handle the production elements in this case.)

So to your point, everyone is meeting minimum requirements and moving on.

They could get one of these in the toy section at Walmart. they're like a $100

51TbVLc925L._AC_.jpg

Newhouse doesn't train production, aka the technical stuff. All technical needs in Newhouse are taken care of by professionals who used to work the technical side in the local news.

Students at Newhouse train for on-camera stuff and the roles that go with that (editing, writing, etc.) The professors are mostly former reporters who are only knowledgeable about the on-air stuff.

Your analogy doesn't work because what you're talking about is grill maintenance and propane installation, not ingredients and cooking times.
Wait a second. None of these people could help with production because the school only teaches on-camera things?

My point is there are resources available to help Syracuse show their world class school. Cuse should be the leader in anything media related.

Perception is key to this. My analogy works still because we don’t expect a world class chef to work on subpar equipment when serving to the masses.

While I don’t have intimate knowledge like you do, I’d bet my perception is more in line with the majority, whether that is fair or not.

Wait a second. None of these people could help with production because the school only teaches on-camera things?

My point is there are resources available to help Syracuse show their world class school. Cuse should be the leader in anything media related.

Perception is key to this. My analogy works still because we don’t expect a world class chef to work on subpar equipment when serving to the masses.

While I don’t have intimate knowledge like you do, I’d bet my perception is more in line with the majority, whether that is fair or not.
A visual producer, a documentarian, a news broadcast producer (who I actually TA'ed for), and a traditional journalist? No, how things look and sound on live TV has never been in any of their job descriptions.

You've really come to the crux of the issue. People on this board obsess over things making Syracuse "look bad", and they're things that NO ONE CARES ABOUT except for the people worried about it. Syracuse will look good if they win a lot and don't have a big scandal. End of story. How a press conference is executed will move the needle for no one.

A visual producer, a documentarian, a news broadcast producer (who I actually TA'ed for), and a traditional journalist? No, how things look and sound on live TV has never been in any of their job descriptions.

You've really come to the crux of the issue. People on this board obsess over things making Syracuse "look bad", and they're things that NO ONE CARES ABOUT except for the people worried about it. Syracuse will look good if they win a lot and don't have a big scandal. End of story. How a press conference is executed will move the needle for no one.
At least be fair and read/list their resumes. I think a director and production technologist could help out with this.

At least be fair and read/list their resumes. I think a director and production technologist could help out with this.
I read the whole thing. A documentarian doesn't know anything about live broadcasting. The visual producer sounds like a UX/UI designer, which has absolutely nothing to do with broadcasting at all.

I read the whole thing. A documentarian doesn't know anything about live broadcasting. The visual producer sounds like a UX/UI designer, which has absolutely nothing to do with broadcasting at all.
Okay, understood, there is no one at Syracuse that can help with their production issues.

Okay, understood, there is no one at Syracuse that can help with their production issues.
You said Newhouse. Edit: Sue Edson would have fixed it by now if it was actually a big problem.

But I go back to my point about caring about perceptions. Because only this message board cares about press conference sound quality. It doesn't make Syracuse "look bad."

You said Newhouse. Edit: Sue Edson would have fixed it by now if it was actually a big problem.

But I go back to my point about caring about perceptions. Because only this message board cares about press conference sound quality. It doesn't make Syracuse "look bad."
You changed my mind, I will rephrase. It doesn’t matter if we can’t hear the questions and no one at Newhouse can fix the “issue” because it doesn’t matter if we can hear it or not, so it isn’t a real issue.

You changed my mind, I will rephrase. It doesn’t matter if we can’t hear the questions and no one at Newhouse can fix the “issue” because it doesn’t matter if we can hear it or not, so it isn’t a real issue.
No need to be bitter.

Any modern day conference room in America has drop mics in the ceiling for conference calls. No reason why SU can't get the press microphones. I'm almost wondering if it's intentional.

Clearly, only a lawsuit gets SU Administration moving.

One thing is for sure, the team has a chip on its shoulder this year.

Buckle up folks, this team has something to prove
Not being snarky, but does the team have a chip on its shoulder? I’m not one who can tell.

It doesn’t seem like it would come from the annual “no respect” from the outside. Is it not converting the 6-0 start better from last year?

biggest takeaway from a ho-hum press conference (Other than the microphone).

Babers feels transfer portal hurts depth. Totally agree.

Death, taxes and CuseFan threads complaining about audio quality, uniforms & attendance.

This is not a production issue. It’s a press conference issue. And there are ways to run press conferences that are effective, and others that are not. These are a fail. That’s not being nit-picky. It’s just being honest.

I was with you for a bit, but this is a defeatist attitude. I understand your point, but not doing a good/professional job should never be allowed. The little things matter. What you do in practice, you do in a game.

And before you say something like “we don’t practice this” let me say this IS the practice. If we practiced football without WR or a WR coach, would that make it OK that we can’t generate enough offense to win? We can’t get a quality QB recruit (or WR for that matter)?

Maybe that’s too extreme, but would it be OK if we didn’t wash our uniforms after a game? The dryer shrunk the jerseys and we look silly and can’t move. It’s OK. Nobody knows how to use the washing machine or dryer.

It’s about pride

biggest takeaway from a ho-hum press conference (Other than the microphone).

Babers feels transfer portal hurts depth. Totally agree.
Interesting, we lost some but gained a punter, tons of defenders, linemen, QB. Maybe horse trading causing parity. IMO it’s helping us overall.

Interesting, we lost some but gained a punter, tons of defenders, linemen, QB. Maybe horse trading causing parity. IMO it’s helping us overall.
i’m with Babers on the side it hurts depth until i’m proven wrong. Duce, Carter, Geer are tough losses for a “Developmental” program. Right now i don’t think any guy who transferred in has won their starting spot yet?9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom