Dion's learning curve | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

As is becoming the norm... Another good game for Dion.

He's going to get paid this offseason but hopefully he sticks with OKC because he is a great fit as sixth man and unlike his relationship with Lebron, Dion and KD are tight.

As is becoming the norm... Another good game for Dion.

He's going to get paid this offseason but hopefully he sticks with OKC because he is a great fit as sixth man and unlike his relationship with Lebron, Dion and KD are tight.
Man, I think most of that is true, but one thing that's stuck out to me is how him and KD seem to have a really awkward relationship. I've watched intently on their interactions, and between the KD FU 3x, and Waiters cashing that dunk last game, and running down the court and ducking KD's head slap very weirdly, I don't know. I'm hoping I'm making too much out of it, but all the court signs to me seem real weird at least. Again, he's in a good place and I hope he stays and grows..

Man, I think most of that is true, but one thing that's stuck out to me is how him and KD seem to have a really awkward relationship. I've watched intently on their interactions, and between the KD FU 3x, and Waiters cashing that dunk last game, and running down the court and ducking KD's head slap very weirdly, I don't know. I'm hoping I'm making too much out of it, but all the court signs to me seem real weird at least. Again, he's in a good place and I hope he stays and grows..
Everything I've read from people who follow OKC is that they are that tight that they do weird stuff, if that makes sense.

Everything I've read from people who follow OKC is that they are that tight that they do weird stuff, if that makes sense.
I hope for sure. It just doesn't seem that way. But huge props to them for even being in this scenario.

I hope for sure. It just doesn't seem that way. But huge props to them for even being in this scenario.
It goes both ways too. Before KD said , Waiters was cursing KD out while passing him the ball lol.

OKC fans basically said that they are always like that and off the court are really tight friends. So much so that when Dion wasn't "Playoff Dion" OKC fans pretty much figured Dion would be re-signed for big money anyway because it's known KD wants him here.

Optics alone, that hug at the end between Waiters and KD looked pretty genuine and not just a normal "hey bud, good game" hug.

I love how 2 months ago, people on this board were convinced Dion would be out of the NBA after this season. They wouldn't believe that Dion had made serious progress in the past year. Now they're seeing how far he's come. Obviously, he's playing great this playoffs, but his D has been on point nearly all year. Assuming he doesn't go full Lance Stephenson, he'll have a long and productive NBA career.

As a side note, how awesome would it be to see Dion personally sink the finals hopes of LeBron, the guy who pretty much kicked him out of Cleveland 2 years ago?

As a side note, how awesome would it be to see Dion personally sink the finals hopes of LeBron, the guy who pretty much kicked him out of Cleveland 2 years ago?
That would be cool but I could also live with him sinking the Raptors.

Yup another good game for Dion. 10 points 3 assists 3 rebounds for +24 off the bench. 2-4 from 3 as well. Played some nasty defense again and was diving all over the place with Westbrook tipping passes and getting the loose balls. He's now shooting 46% from 3 for the series.

He really is helping this team besides just the stats. He had an unbelievable backhanded pass to KD, I think it was. They showed a replay about 5 minutes later when they realized how good it was. He just runs the ball and the floor very well and is playing with total confidence right now. He just helps to make the other players perform well.
Nice that Scoop has been there for the last 2 games. He took a nice video of Dion coming back into locker room area and picking up who I assume is his daughter.

I love how 2 months ago, people on this board were convinced Dion would be out of the NBA after this season. They wouldn't believe that Dion had made serious progress in the past year. Now they're seeing how far he's come. Obviously, he's playing great this playoffs, but his D has been on point nearly all year. Assuming he doesn't go full Lance Stephenson, he'll have a long and productive NBA career.

Defense?! He can't play defense. He was in the Syracuse 2-3 zone for 2 years. He will never be able to play defense.
What's that you say? Anyone can play man to man defense, because its just about effort. It doesn't matter what you played in college.
Oh, that makes sense.

I think kd sees dion as his little bro. Also dion takes himself too seriously so hes easy to mess with.

He's always been good with the ball and has always been an undervalued passer. The difference is in the playoffs - thus far - he has made perimeter shots.I agree with earlier posts - his D has been solid all year and has clearly been amped up during the playoffs.
I also think as Draymond Mouth and Klay Thompson are finding out in this series - life in the NBA is a lot easier when nobody really game plans for you.

To be fair, Dion played like crap for the majority of the year. His defense was adequate and his offense was horrible. Any number you look at suggests he was a net-negative player this season. And then the playoffs started and he was suddenly great. It's been pretty amazing to watch.

Likewise, Andre Roberson's shooting in this series has been such an unexpected fluke.

It'll be interesting to see how much Dion gets in the offseason. This is like the NBA version of riding one good NCAA Tournament game to becoming a 1st round pick. 3 or 4 years of poor play, but he's having an unquestionably great postseason when it matters most.

He's always been good with the ball and has always been an undervalued passer. The difference is in the playoffs - thus far - he has made perimeter shots.I agree with earlier posts - his D has been solid all year and has clearly been amped up during the playoffs.
I also think as Draymond Mouth and Klay Thompson are finding out in this series - life in the NBA is a lot easier when nobody really game plans for you.

Come on man. Klay's averaging over 25 points per game on a 60% TS% in the playoffs this year. Draymond's been great up until the last two games too, averaging 16, 9, 6, 2, and 1.5 on 54% TS%. This is a ridiculous argument.

It'll be interesting to see how much Dion gets in the offseason. This is like the NBA version of riding one good NCAA Tournament game to becoming a 1st round pick. 3 or 4 years of poor play, but he's having an unquestionably great postseason when it matters most.

Considering the NBA as a whole has a tendency to overpay on contracts, I think Dion is in great shape right now. Some team will give him a boat load of cash.

Considering the NBA as a whole has a tendency to overpay on contracts, I think Dion is in great shape right now. Some team will give him a boat load of cash.

Agreed, especially with the fact that basically every team will have a lot of cap space this year.

Yeah, Durant and Westbrook have been better overall than Steph/Klay/Green, but to me the big difference is that OKC's secondary players (Dion, Adams, Kanter, Robertson, etc.) have been MUCH better than Golden State's secondary players (Barnes, Iguadala, etc.)

Westbrook and Waiters paired together are very exciting to watch. One misstep on either of them and next thing you know they're acrobatically finger rolling a basket or throwing down.

If you're going to overpay, do it on a player's 2nd contract. At least you'll overpay someone coming into their prime and that may still improve. Lot less risky than other options.

Come on man. Klay's averaging over 25 points per game on a 60% TS% in the playoffs this year. Draymond's been great up until the last two games too, averaging 16, 9, 6, 2, and 1.5 on 54% TS%. This is a ridiculous argument.
Numbers look good but Thompson had what 19 in a row in a six minute span in the 3rd when his team was not in the game. Green's numbers always look good because of his versatility. Ridiculous or not, numbers or not, they have not been as effective in this series. A stat is created on every play so numbers are going to be accumulated. Both have been good, but both have not been as good as they were when Curry was healthy. On either end of the court.

Numbers look good but Thompson had what 19 in a row in a six minute span in the 3rd when his team was not in the game. Green's numbers always look good because of his versatility. Ridiculous or not, numbers or not, they have not been as effective in this series. A stat is created on every play so numbers are going to be accumulated. Both have been good, but both have not been as good as they were when Curry was healthy. On either end of the court.

Okay, but you're acting as if nobody game plans in the first two rounds of the playoffs? In these playoffs, Thompson has played pretty much the best basketball of his entire life. If not for these last two games, Draymond is enjoying a great postseason too. I'm fairly certain that teams didn't wait until Game 3 of the WCF to begin gameplanning.

Defense?! He can't play defense. He was in the Syracuse 2-3 zone for 2 years. He will never be able to play defense.
What's that you say? Anyone can play man to man defense, because its just about effort. It doesn't matter what you played in college.
Oh, that makes sense.
Actually, I disagree. M2M defense is about a whole lot more than effort. If it was about effort alone, than Kenneth Faried would be a great defender. The nice thing, as I have mentioned before, is that modern NBA man-to-man incorporates so many zone principles that players leaving Syracuse aren't at that much of a disadvantage at all. In fact, I dare say that Syracuse's zone is closer to NBA D than Tony Bennett's pack-line, for example.