Disastrous 20 seconds cost game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disastrous 20 seconds cost game

Then they both collapsed. Because the shot was from Lydon's wing and he was slow closing because he collapsed down...
And if you watch the replay, you'll see Lydon with a "down" reaction after that play.

Would a M2M defense have that collapse in that situation. Thats a question we will never know because of this staff being wedded to a zone 100% of the time now.

2-3 zone is the exact wrong defense there...you can overload it and get a shot anytime you want (normally keep working the ball for a better one, but the zone is a bait to give a relatively wide open shot)

The only surprising thing on that play is we didn't let them roll the ball to half court to save time.

The defense should have pressured early then fallen back to prevent the 3.
Guard the arc and foul late before they can get a shot off.
That it didn't happen has to be a coaching decision (or non-decision).
Yep that is all on coaching. Makes you wonder if there is any end of game philosophy or team prep. Looks like they just play their normal defense. The guards and wings of the zone collapse back into the paint when the ball goes inside leaving the 3 pt line open. Teams always kick it back out for the open 3. So incredibly dumb. Why aren't they drilled in that situation to stay on the perimeter? Let them have the 2 if they want it. Most times they won't even take the 2 pt shot because they have to have a tying 3. doesn't that seem obvious?

If you listen to Mike's presser, the team was told to stop the 3 and foul after 8 seconds.
What went wrong? Why were instructions not followed? I would like to know what the players have to say.

According to Mike the team defaulted to going into the lane when the ball did and could not recover to get the shooter after he got a good pass.

Madbiker said:
Yep that is all on coaching. Makes you wonder if there is any end of game philosophy or team prep. Looks like they just play their normal defense. The guards and wings of the zone collapse back into the paint when the ball goes inside leaving the 3 pt line open. Teams always kick it back out for the open 3. So incredibly dumb. Why aren't they drilled in that situation to stay on the perimeter? Let them have the 2 if they want it. Most times they won't even take the 2 pt shot because they have to have a tying 3. doesn't that seem obvious?
I've really started to question in the last few years if we are really getting it done in practice. The missed shots and FTs, the bungled assignments, the lack of low post development, the inept offense in general. It's just inexplicable.

If you listen to Mike's presser, the team was told to stop the 3 and foul after 8 seconds.

Frankly these guys arent savvy enough to follow such nuanced instructions. Either foul or dont foul, but to tell them to wait till it gets below 8 to foul is a sure recipe for disaster, and it happened.

It was interesting on Axe's radio show (I know, I know) on the way home Chris Carlson and Axe were talking about it and compared the situation to a substitute teacher where you're there listening and kind of executing but you may not be as sharp or disciplined as if the real teacher is there.

Does that have any legs?

It was interesting on Axe's radio show (I know, I know) on the way home Chris Carlson and Axe were talking about it and compared the situation to a substitute teacher where you're there listening and kind of executing but you may not be as sharp or disciplined as if the real teacher is there.

Does that have any legs?
Only if your sub has been working with you ever day for 21 years

According to Mike the team defaulted to going into the lane when the ball did and could not recover to get the shooter after he got a good pass.

Bravo, team! SMH.

He should have made it clear - don't do the DEFAULT!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom