Division I Men's Lacrosse At UConn? Not That Simple | Syracusefan.com

Division I Men's Lacrosse At UConn? Not That Simple

"I'm a rich guy in Fairfield County. Do I want my kid to go to UConn or Duke? UConn or UVa? UConn or SU? UConn or Yale? Such tough questions."

Seriously, do the people who go to Avon Old Farms even know there's a college in Storrs?

UConn have bigger fish to fry in regards to sports. Ever since Randy Edsal left the football program they have been floundering. He built the program up and now he is back and has alot of work to do. Sure it's a great idea to try to get their men's lacrosse program going again and it makes sense but lacrosse is small potatoes compared to football.

UConn have bigger fish to fry in regards to sports. Ever since Randy Edsal left the football program they have been floundering. He built the program up and now he is back and has alot of work to do. Sure it's a great idea to try to get their men's lacrosse program going again and it makes sense but lacrosse is small potatoes compared to football.

Exactly, the last thing that School needs right now is another mouth to feed. They would be insane to try and start a Mens D1 program. Also that article is a bit generous in the ability of the school to compete seriously at the D1 level. Michigan came in 5 years ago with plenty of $$ and as much fan fare as anyone and they have struggled to get to .500 less seriously compete.

That donor thinks it would only take 3 years to win a championship haha yeah ok

If they were to go d1 wouldn't the NCAA move the championship games from the rent? Wasn't that the point of having them there, a neutral field at a smaller than NFL sized stadium?

That donor thinks it would only take 3 years to win a championship haha yeah ok

If they were to go d1 wouldn't the NCAA move the championship games from the rent? Wasn't that the point of having them there, a neutral field at a smaller than NFL sized stadium?
Fairfield is the host there. I was under the impression it was the UHartford Hawks.

I agree.

UConn has 22 varsity sports right now. They are losing around $10 million a year on athletics. Maybe more.

Syracuse only has 18. Pitt also has 18.

I think it is inevitable that they drop some varsity sports.

I agree.

UConn has 22 varsity sports right now. They are losing around $10 million a year on athletics. Maybe more.

Syracuse only has 18. Pitt also has 18.

I think it is inevitable that they drop some varsity sports.
It will be tough for them to drop sports. The only "big cost" sports they have are football and 2 ice hockey teams. I forget; what's the D-1 minimum?

It will be tough for them to drop sports. The only "big cost" sports they have are football and 2 ice hockey teams. I forget; what's the D-1 minimum?
It is never easy to drop sports. People in CNY are still angry about Syracuse dropping baseball circa 1970, or wrestling, men's gymnastics and men's and women's swimming around 2001.

It was fine to have 22 varsity sports when basketball and football were major revenue generators but that is no longer the case. The state of Connecticut has major financial problems, which makes a bad situation worse. Then there is the problem that a bunch of these sports play in the AAC and have huge travel costs because of this.

Something has to give. I think some of the minor sports will get axed, even though it isn't fair. I hope they are able to find some other funding to keep them alive.

Most importantly, you are not allowed to use BB Guns as lacrosse sticks so that pretty much puts the kibosh on this entire idea.

A friend's son plays club for Uconn. He just brought it up to me out of the blue that they are discussing it internally. The kids are all convinced it will happen, fwiw.

A friend's son plays club for Uconn. He just brought it up to me out of the blue that they are discussing it internally. The kids are all convinced it will happen, fwiw.

They can join the Big East right about the time Denver, Utah, and Air Force join the Pac-12.

"I'm a rich guy in Fairfield County. Do I want my kid to go to UConn or Duke? UConn or UVa? UConn or SU? UConn or Yale? Such tough questions."

Seriously, do the people who go to Avon Old Farms even know there's a college in Storrs?
Uconn is pretty popular right now. Have a few friends kids who did very well in HS and were forced to start college at a satellite campus. I haven't done the research but I have a theory that the admin might be more focused on out of state students and their higher tuition.

Uconn is pretty popular right now. Have a few friends kids who did very well in HS and were forced to start college at a satellite campus. I haven't done the research but I have a theory that the admin might be more focused on out of state students and their higher tuition.
Sounds like every other state school that has restrictions on raising tuition.

UCONN is considering lax because both the ACC and the B1G would give additional value to a school that has lax in the next expansion. And UMASS has lax.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom