DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DL Jatius Geer transferring to South Carolina

He’s the most NFL potential D lineman we currently have on the team. This is what NIL does. People see your potential and take them when they are in need. It forces you to make choices as a staff. Decide how much you are willing to pay to keep him.

I understand that the system doesn't enforce any penalties. But these nil collectives actively poaching players off of other teams is BS.

Cuse is a minor league team. Just have to accept it.
Yep as If and until there’s meaningful rules instituted and attached to this whole insane thing like three or four year contract for a scholarship, closing the portal window a bit, etc., if it until that all happens, it’s over boys and girls. Meaning, hoping for a top 10 type Championship type season.

As I said, in my other voluminous posts on the subject that were just as glass half empty, this is just the start. Fun, fun, fun what college sports has turned into.

Last edited:
I’ve said this numerous times for awhile. It’ll be interesting to see the long term impact of all of this on college FB and BB, especially. What I always loved about following SU was watching players grow and develop, in BB and FB. What happens to brand loyalty? We’ve all continued to support FB even though it’s been a struggle to watch at times (ok, a lot) going back to 20 some odd years. There were up and down years but you could get excited by a good season. You could get excited by the following season, after a bad season because there was hope a freshman might come in and light it up and the good players would get even better.

But it’s hard as fan to really care too much about any of these players, to be honest. That may sound terrible but all I mean by that is I don’t or won’t be pouring all my emotions into SU sports as I once did. Once I start to get excited about a player I know they might be gone. I’ll never buy any player merchandise. For what? My wife has completely lost interest already in FB, we used to be STH. She doesn’t even know who the players are and doesn’t care. How do I get my daughter excited for players when a player she loved watching is gone. What’s the point.

So I’m just spouting off at this point but from an economic point of view I’m really curious in 3-5 years what the numbers show for fan support around the country. The SEC and B10 will prob be themselves. But for the other conferences, I’m not sure. You can’t hold value in a brand and have continuous turnover. Theoretically anyway.

This move, perhaps more than any other that I’ve seen to date, suggests we can never truly compete again. And, I’ve been pretty pessimistic both on the football side and the basketball side. I’ve never felt that Cuse could compete in the world of NIL and the portal. Nothing has changed my mind unfortunately. I would like nothing more than to be wrong. I am a diehard. This is sad.

I appreciate optimism, I just wonder what we’re cheering for each year. A 6-6 season and a bowl game? Sure, I love to see it, but isn’t it also nice to foolishly believe that we could somehow attain more? I mean, I love the jersey and the school, but the idea of actually being able to win something meaningful has to be the thing that truly keeps us going, otherwise, it kind of gets boring, doesn’t it? I’m writing as a person who never misses a game and never turns it off regardless of score. But, this all just seems hopeless now. Yes, next man up, but if it’s only a matter of time before that man is stolen too, what’s the point? This does suck.

Cuse is a minor league team. Just have to accept it.
I am all for NIL and players getting theirs. At the same time, I am fine if SYR decides it cannot compete in this new environment and decides to get out and play at a level with other schools with the same resources. We find and develop talent only to see them transfer to a monied powerhouse. Chestnut, Carter and now Geer. I would not complain for a second if SYR says "We're out."

Last edited:
Losing a player sucks. But man, these takes are a little over the top. He was far from top d lineman. Maybe Rocky wants bigger guys. Not to mention, I think we actually have good depth.
I dont recall 1 person saying he was their best D lineman. In fact I heard several people say they like the D line unit still.

Sucks but it’s the new world order. Doesn’t phase me much anymore, just gotta hope we get a guy we don’t expect. Weird time in CFB indeed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom