Does Taurean Thompson change how we are recruiting? | Syracusefan.com

Does Taurean Thompson change how we are recruiting?

billsin01

All American
I was watching the game last night and I got caught up in trying to figure out how we seem to have fielded teams in back-to-back years that just really struggle to stay on the floor with Carolina. It's interesting because even last year's group that came together and played some outstanding basketball at times in the tourney lost twice to UNC in the regular season (played tough in Chapel Hill, but were fighting out of a hole most of the game) and then got waxed in the final four.

What's interesting about how they've beaten us (ugly turnovers aside in yesterday's game) is that I would say generally that we've been overwhelmed by their size and athleticism.

Yet, if you look at the NBA draft as some sort of referendum on how much talent their is on each team (an imperfect measure, I agree, but stay with me) Johnson didn't go until 25 (after Mali) and Paige didn't go until 55. If you look at this group Jackson is the only guy I've seen with a first round grade and it's mostly sneaking into the end of the first round. Meeks and Hicks will get a shot somewhere, presumably, and maybe the Bradley kid could go but he didn't even play yesterday.

So, anyway, all of this brings me back to the point of who are you recruiting? The question is this: Is there a way to recruit kids that are really good basketball players, have good athleticism, but don't necessarily blow the doors off the folks making decisions in the NBA draft? And, is there a method to keeping kids in your program even if they don't see huge minutes as frosh and/or sophs?

So it's possible to look at it and say that both outcomes are pure luck -- you do a good job of finding a great prospect in Michael Carter-Williams, but he blows up late in high school, you hang onto him with a death grip for two years and eventually conceded that while he still has improvement to make, he's about to go on and be NBA rookie of the year. You find Jeremi Grant and, for whatever reason, he decides he doesn't need a jumper to start an NBA career (not being a pr!ick, but that was quite literally the decision he made). You find BJ Johnson, there is some sort of miscommunication or something regarding a redshirt and, whatever happened, he's helping LaSalle instead of SU in his fourth season.

But the other way to look at those guys (outside of BJ) is like this -- whether MCW or Grant could hit a jumper or not, they had length and athleticism and unique athletic gifts that make NBA scouts drool regardless of their actual production or true basketball skill.

So here is my theory: I don't see SU going away from playing on a few of the big names from year-to-year, nor would I want them to abandon that. But do they try to put more emphasis on basketball skill over pure athleticism? In other words, instead of recruiting only Quade b/c he's the 'perfect PG', do they settle on someone with good skill and some solid upside to potentially become Quade by 2019 or 2020? Instead of finding the perfect 6'5" 2-guard prototype in Mali, do they find a player who has a good nose for the basket but plays the 2 at 6'2"? Do you go with Josh Pace instead of Jeremi Grant?

Which brings me to TT. I'm not trying to gloss over Thompson's weaknesses and the very real possibility that for all his offensive prowess there is a legitimate chance that he never becomes even a halfway decent defender or remotely adequate rebounder. But Thompson has put up more points in fewer minutes than McCullough did and, if he averages 6 ppg for the remainder of the season, will outpace Fab's sophomore season as a scorer (234 pts).

Now, again, his scoring doesn't make him a great player but I don't seem Thompson's name on draft boards anywhere. So if that stays true and they can somehow find a way to make him OK defensively between now and next November, they could easily have a guy who is a legit weapon offensively while playing OK D and standing 6'10". Plus, if he's not an NBA prototype, maybe you get year 3 from him. Who knows?

Anyway, bottom line is that both Carolina and Nova (along with some other programs) have clearly reaped the benefit of finding players who are really good but haven't left after a year or two while the Cuse has been ravaged by early departures (NBA and transfers who decided not to stick it out) or left with players who didn't have as much upside -- guys like Keita (who was great and valuable but exceedingly limited offensively), Cooney (loved how he played in the tourney but spent most of his time as a streaky outside shooter who played solid defense), and Brandon Triche (decent all-around player but awful shooter and not particularly great off the bounce -- limiting combination for a guard). Instead they need to find themselves more versions of the Jalen Brunsons and Isaiah Hicks types.

It's obviously not as simple as it sounds but I have to wonder if focusing a bit more on makeup and polish and a bit less on measurables and potential is a direction this staff goes. Otherwise you get stuck in the frustrating and often unfulfilling cycle of constantly trying to work 3 or 4 pieces into the rotation each year and often times getting caught short on functioning parts (this rotation as well as last year's is really short, even for JB).

It has been said on many a Duke and NC State forum that ole Roy "does the least with the most". That he "holds back" players development. Call it conspiratory, but it seems factual.

We kinda already did this, though maybe not on purpose with one of our best teams ever in 2010. Rautins, Triche, Scoop, AO, Rick Jackson, Kris Joseph...all 4 year players and good contributors for most of their careers. None of them were real early entry candidates. There were no athletic freaks or 6'10 forwards or 6'6 guards there. Even Johnson, though he left with 1 year of eligibility left, was in college for 4 years.

UNC keeps their players around a lot longer than we do recently. Meeks all 4 years, Brice Johnson all 4 years, Paige all 4 years. Justin Jackson who was a big time player in HS..3 years

That's why UNC has been striking out on the top tier recruits recently imo..no top 25 players this upcoming year..the brand name of UNC should be getting the top tier recruits year in, year out...but i think they are seeing that UNC isn't really getting people drafted like they used to. I'm actually surprised our 1st round picks run hasn't been a HUGE selling point to recruits.
Maybe Roy is changing it up and targeting the top 50 recruits who he knows are going to stay around..Coach K did that for awhile and had to switch it up

Anyway, bottom line is that both Carolina and Nova (along with some other programs) have clearly reaped the benefit of finding players who are really good but haven't left after a year or two while the Cuse has been ravaged by early departures (NBA and transfers who decided not to stick it out) or left with players who didn't have as much upside -- guys like Keita (who was great and valuable but exceedingly limited offensively), Cooney (loved how he played in the tourney but spent most of his time as a streaky outside shooter who played solid defense), and Brandon Triche (decent all-around player but awful shooter and not particularly great off the bounce -- limiting combination for a guard). Instead they need to find themselves more versions of the Jalen Brunsons and Isaiah Hicks types.

).
For all that saying that UNC is doing it the right way, you failed to mention that they have 6 McD AA on their team. 5 played last night. One of which is Hicks that you mentioned. How do you predict that a McD AA stays for 4 years and not leave after 1 or 2? Or any top 50 player? Which teams are winning more, the teams that have numerous 1-n-done (Duke & Kentucky) or a lot of 4 year players (Vil. & Wisc).

UNC keeps their players around a lot longer than we do recently. Meeks all 4 years, Brice Johnson all 4 years, Paige all 4 years. Justin Jackson who was a big time player in HS..3 years

That's why UNC has been striking out on the top tier recruits recently imo..no top 25 players this upcoming year..the brand name of UNC should be getting the top tier recruits year in, year out...but i think they are seeing that UNC isn't really getting people drafted like they used to. I'm actually surprised our 1st round picks run hasn't been a HUGE selling point to recruits.
Maybe Roy is changing it up and targeting the top 50 recruits who he knows are going to stay around..Coach K did that for awhile and had to switch it up

Yeah, I think your last sentence is my point. Don't know if that's the strategy but it's interesting to look at.

I know we aren't landing the top guys, but maybe someone who follows recruiting more, how was TT the 75th ranked prospect? Did he get hurt in Hs?, is this year Freshmans class that good?

It has been said on many a Duke and NC State forum that ole Roy "does the least with the most". That he "holds back" players development. Call it conspiratory, but it seems factual.

I bet that is mostly rivalry junk. Similar with certain posters'/fans take here with UConn or whatver. Ollie Sucks, Jim Calhoun sucks, etc. Williams is a terrific coach and JB agrees if you listen to the presser from last night. They were a Villanova buzzer beater away from another title for Roy and UNC.

For all that saying that UNC is doing it the right way, you failed to mention that they have 6 McD AA on their team. 5 played last night. One of which is Hicks that you mentioned. How do you predict that a McD AA stays for 4 years and not leave after 1 or 2? Or any top 50 player? Which teams are winning more, the teams that have numerous 1-n-done (Duke & Kentucky) or a lot of 4 year players (Vil. & Wisc).

And how do you predict that at the point that you would actually have to get involved in recruiting them if you want to hold any hope of actually landing them (maybe their sophomore year in HS or even earlier)? We can't even make accurate predictions of whether they are likely to leave early or not when they are here entering their freshman year (see Ennis, Tyler; Richardson, Malachi).

I think whether your top players stay or go has more to do with (i) luck - did you happen to get guys that make scouts drool or guys that are just great basketball players and (ii) whether the system you play tends to highlight things the NBA wants to see.

Yeah, it is interesting with them. They probably do a better job in player development all around. For awhile they were just stocking up on stud big guys and waiting for their guards to develop and/or turn into good shooters.

They have had some other good players. They had that stud PJ Hairston but he got dismissed from school. JP Tokoto was good and declared for the draft early. It's funny. He and PJ Hairston are playing on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the D-League currently. I took a look at their roster. They have those two, the other Onuaku, LeBryan Nash, Darius Morris, Chris Walker (the former UF Gator PF stud who never materialized), Markus Kennedy, Gary Payton II all playing major minutes. Those are good players! Just shows how difficult it is to stay in the NBA.

Seems like the original poster is claiming the opposite ...that we in fact are doing less with more

Interesting intro discussion, bills, but don't forget that numbers are having the greatest impact this year. JB plays the 6 he plays because he only has 8 to choose from. If he had the full deck, he could be recruiting late blooming prospects to red shirt (yes, I realize Moyer is held out this year) and still find the best 7 of 12 players while saving the rest for practice fodder and then reformulating personalities for next year's team.

Grad transfers were a necessary experiment this year that is not really panning out. Had Malachi not left, he'd either be playing the two with Battle at the point or White would be spelling him when we needed a hot-shooting spark off the bench. Events, alas, have left us trying to cover a house with a quart of paint.-VBOF

Grad transfers were a necessary experiment this year that is not really panning out. Had Malachi not left, he'd either be playing the two with Battle at the point or White would be spelling him when we needed a hot-shooting spark off the bench. Events, alas, have left us trying to cover a house with a quart of paint.-VBOF

Had Malachi not left, White would be playing for Miami.

Somebody said last year we should recruit shorter players so they won't go to the NBA early.

lollipop_guild.gif

Well, those accusations were on Duke and NC State boards. Roy is a good coach who now has 800 wins.

Somebody said last year we should recruit shorter players so they won't go to the NBA early.

lollipop_guild.gif

Problem is we hit a home runs with some and they leave, which isn't too big a deal, the big deal is we strike out with a large majority who dont go.

UNC gets players to stay... while not elite draft prospects they get players who become very good college players as a 3rd or 4th year player.

Yeah, it is interesting with them. They probably do a better job in player development all around. For awhile they were just stocking up on stud big guys and waiting for their guards to develop and/or turn into good shooters.

They have had some other good players. They had that stud PJ Hairston but he got dismissed from school. JP Tokoto was good and declared for the draft early. It's funny. He and PJ Hairston are playing on the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the D-League currently. I took a look at their roster. They have those two, the other Onuaku, LeBryan Nash, Darius Morris, Chris Walker (the former UF Gator PF stud who never materialized), Markus Kennedy, Gary Payton II all playing major minutes. Those are good players! Just shows how difficult it is to stay in the NBA.

This worked really well for Boeheim for almost 40 years.

Running off guards because they don't play well as underclassmen...well, the jury's out on that strategy.

interesting. It is maddening that our guys leave early on potential and not production. I'd like to see us find some Arinze type players. Big muscular wide bodies who aren't very athletic so you dont have to worry about them going pro, but they are darn good players. Arinze was money inside of 4 feet and you couldn't move him.

Id have to go back and watch him play D because I don't remember him being a liability in there. Maybe he had a better defensive supporting cast?

Well, those accusations were on Duke and NC State boards. Roy is a good coach who now has 800 wins.
Funny thing is that when JB reached 900, there were a lot of people who said it was more of a sign of longevity and scheduling cupcakes than good coaching. Too reach 800 and do it as fast as Roy has, he has to be doing somethings right. And one of those things is being lucky enough (good enough?) to be a head coach at two of the highest profile programs in the country. Institutional name and active alumni help keep the program rolling while he got his system going. Good coaching aside, that is a big help. As much as I am not a Coach K fan, you do have to give him kudos for raising the Duke program to where it is. And the same should be said for JB. Both have ~1000 wins at one school.

interesting. It is maddening that our guys leave early on potential and not production. I'd like to see us find some Arinze type players. Big muscular wide bodies who aren't very athletic so you dont have to worry about them going pro, but they are darn good players. Arinze was money inside of 4 feet and you couldn't move him.

Id have to go back and watch him play D because I don't remember him being a liability in there. Maybe he had a better defensive supporting cast?

His teammates were OK his freshman year, a total disastrous nightmare his middle two years, and excellent his senior year. Arinze wasn't a plus defender, but by the time he was an upperclassman he knew where he needed to be and he wasn't a liability.

Though I think Boeheim ideally would prefer a taller and rangier center if he had his pick.

Me, I like a guy like Arinze with basketball skills who can produce right off the bat.

His teammates were OK his freshman year, a total disastrous nightmare his middle two years, and excellent his senior year. Arinze wasn't a plus defender, but by the time he was an upperclassman he knew where he needed to be and he wasn't a liability.

Though I think Boeheim ideally would prefer a taller and rangier center if he had his pick.

Me, I like a guy like Arinze with basketball skills who can produce right off the bat.
But that is contrary to what started this thread because an Arinze type player who produces right away won't stay more that 2 years tops.
Just think what is being asked, 12 guys on a roster, ideally 3 in each class with 1 each developing so you have a balance of high end talent to start and long term decent players who turn into good players by year 4/5. Now try to write the formula for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom