Does Taurean Thompson change how we are recruiting? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does Taurean Thompson change how we are recruiting?

That's not true--Arinze was a backup his freshman year, and displayed advanced offensive skills for a frosh. He got injured the next year.

It's not like he suddenly developed later on--he had good skills offensively coming in.
One of my most vivid memories of AO was him making a shot his freshman year from the seat of his shorts! Figured he was going to be at least decent after that. On further thought, it may have been one of his longest shots he made in his career!

Ideally it needs to be a balance. You build a program with "program" guys who stay four years. You supplement with the superstars who can drive a team to the next level. (See Syracuse Orange 2003.) With the growing prevalence of the one and done culture it is essential to fill all 13 spots with potential contributors, particularly in a system like ours that is by no means plug and play. This is key and borne out by this year's struggles IMO.

Having capable pieces, even if they are stop gap solutions while a talented freshman learns the ropes makes transition periods easier to navigate when there are unexpected departures. As the NBA moves toward its stated goal of 30 for 30 with one D-League team for each NBA team this will become even more challenging. While as fans we see D-league as a step down from high major college ball, this is becoming more and more the prevalent route to the NBA and the relatively small salaries in the D-League seem irrelevant to many of us, it's more than a player makes at any college (with the possible exception of Kentucky), and a high paying job for many of these kids from low income households.
And that is why the sanctions hurt. SU is still not able to have a 13 man roster. JB seems to be most comfortable with 10. It would be nice if MH goes for 13 and does a little more developing. Will the fan base allow him to have the program regress some to build it? Will they allow a 17 win season, or worse?

I think you have to be able to predict where a player's ceiling is. I love seeing players stick around for four years and get better and eventually be incredible players.

Carolina's recruiting has changed a lot recently. They aren't getting top 20 kids anymore like they used to. They've had 2 top twenty kids since they signed Harrison Barnes. Justin Jackson and James McAdoo. Roberson was a higher ranked recruit than Meeks.

Edit: Next year they have a class of 4 guys. One of them is ranked in the top 100. I don't think they are killing it on the trail. This isn't a UK/Duke scenario. They are getting the exact same type of kids we should get.

This is false-about unc only signing two top 20 kids since Barnes.

Just off the top of my head-

Pj Hairston
Reggie bullock
Justin Jackson
Joel berry(depending on the service)
Theo pinson
Isaiah hicks
Marcus Paige-top 25
Tony Bradley

And I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Just thought I'd clarify

Pj Hairston
Reggie bullock
Justin Jackson
Theo pinson
Isaiah hicks
Marcus Paige-top 25
Tony Bradley

Just thought I'd clarify

247 goes by RSCI. Bradley was 27. Paige 31. Some of them in some services may have been ranked higher, but their RSCI wasn't above that. You can look them all up, but you get the picture.

Pj Hairston
Reggie bullock
Justin Jackson
Theo pinson
Isaiah hicks
Marcus Paige-top 25
Tony Bradley

Just thought I'd clarify

I'm not sure where they are ranked is what I was getting at -- not that this is necessarily a response to me. But my point was more that, wherever they are ranked, they are getting good players who aren't so good that they're gone quickly. It's certainly a delicate balance, and maybe basically impossible to predict but as frustrating as Paige might have been or whatever Jackson's or Hicks' limitations are, they are really solid players and would be huge to have on your roster for four years (of even three, for that matter).

Bottom line for me, we somehow need to find a way to get at least a season of high-end production out of our recruits. I'm fine with ennis, for example, who put up 12 and 5.5 while running the show well, grabbing a few boards, playing OK on d -- that's an excellent season. Richardson, on the other hand, is the type of guy you'd love to get year 2 out of. His season was OK -- similar basic numbers but much lower PER and just generally much more inconsistent. Some nights when he was lights out, some nights where he was invisible. I'm not upset with his leaving and I'm thrilled with a final four, but getting the justin jackson junior season is a huge difference -- so much more consistent and efficient -- and that's after a sophomore year that comped fairly well with Richardson, including a final four run (obviously one more game).

To put it simply -- we got to dream on the potential of richardson but only saw hints of it (3.3 win shares) while we saw a good deal of what Ennis was ever going to be (5.5 win shares). Can you predict that? I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure these coaches are capable of accurately judging how much polish a player has and that has to equate roughly to how quickly they can produce (even if it's at the expense of how much upside they have).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom