Doesn't hoops practice start today? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doesn't hoops practice start today?

I broke it in Italy .. on the 4th day of a 14-day vacation. But it was mis-diagnosed so I continued to walk on it for 11 says (over all those rough cobblestone streets). Once I got home, it was properly diagnosed and treated, and I've been hobbling along on a walking cast (on my right leg) for the past two weeks.
Ouch. Hope you have a speedy recovery

its hard to explain but I will try to explain. we cant count on coleman in any way, shape, or form. there are no expectations because the kid hasn't played and there cant be any. however, our season success is based on coleman becoming the 5-star recruit we thought we had. that's it.
This is easy to explain. I fully expect a "Rakeem" like rise in Dajuan's game this year. I count on him to not only staying healthy but able to log around 30 minutes of impact in every game he plays. That's it.

I broke it in Italy .. on the 4th day of a 14-day vacation. But it was mis-diagnosed so I continued to walk on it for 11 says (over all those rough cobblestone streets). Once I got home, it was properly diagnosed and treated, and I've been hobbling along on a walking cast (on my right leg) for the past two weeks.

Get well soon!

This bit from Waters' story made me pause:

There was one instance when Coleman stumbled on defense and took an awkward step to regain his balance. A grimace briefly flashed across his face.
Yeah, I shaked a few potatoes on this one too, but hopefully they are right, that he will gain confidence with every slip, etc.

This is easy to explain. I fully expect a "Rakeem" like rise in Dajuan's game this year. I count on him to not only staying healthy but able to log around 30 minutes of impact in every game he plays. That's it.
one guy was completely healthy for his whole career. played a lot for the first three years with modest results and then put it together for a senior year. the other guy was equally or maybe moreso highly regarded out of hs, and hasn't made it through a college season yet without injury. when we got dajuan, I though he was the next jared sullinger. at this point, I think 20 minutes a game is an expectation that is hopeful, and it probably won't happen. the guy hasn't played full speed basketball for like 3 years.

Oh yeah, only 3 quarters of the game. Just. I don't believe any ncaa centers crack 30 minutes a game. Let alone a guy who hasn't averaged more then 15 in any season he has played in college.

one guy was completely healthy for his whole career. played a lot for the first three years with modest results and then put it together for a senior year. the other guy was equally or maybe moreso highly regarded out of hs, and hasn't made it through a college season yet without injury. when we got dajuan, I though he was the next jared sullinger. at this point, I think 20 minutes a game is an expectation that is hopeful, and it probably won't happen. the guy hasn't played full speed basketball for like 3 years.

Dajuan Coleman's is going to outplay your expectations, that is all.

i hope so, but my expectations are pretty low so it probably won't take much to outplay them. I hope coleman realizes all of his potential. I just don't see it.

I hope he does...but having inflated expectations for a big man coming off oats surgey is just inviting disappointment.

I hope he does...but having inflated expectations for a big man coming off oats surgey is just inviting disappointment.

Normally I'd agree, but I'm optimistic here with DC this year. I know some people aren't, but hey that's everyone else's decision. No reason specifically why I'm optimistic, but the coaches seem to be as well, and so far the early reports out of practice seem promising.

Normally I'd agree, but I'm optimistic here with DC this year. I know some people aren't, but hey that's everyone else's decision. No reason specifically why I'm optimistic, but the coaches seem to be as well, and so far the early reports out of practice seem promising.

At some point one has to think that the chain of bad luck at the C position has to break... I mean last year we get some of the most productive play at the 5 since Arinze and other than ensure our boy Rak gets a nice paycheck it didn't count for much because of the stupid NCAA BS. Its been 12 years.. there are enough new untainted cuse fans who didn't make a deal with the devil in 03 that maybe the tide can turn!

"People are going to find out about us" Great quote to hear from our Freshman Phenom. I'm looking forward to seeing shots fall at a considerably higher percentage rate with Mali and Lydon draining shots at a frenetic pace in the coming seasons.

At some point one has to think that the chain of bad luck at the C position has to break... I mean last year we get some of the most productive play at the 5 since Arinze and ... it didn't count for much because...!
If not this season, our luck at C changes with Pashal Chukwu.
Last season, we had spotty play at PG, and lost our frosh phenom in mid-season. Not enough juice for a post-season run, regardless.
Inside play has to suffer without Rak, but maybe we are better in every other spot? Waiting for more practice reports.

"People are going to find out about us" Great quote to hear from our Freshman Phenom. I'm looking forward to seeing shots fall at a considerably higher percentage rate with Mali and Lydon draining shots at a frenetic pace in the coming seasons.

I think this is exactly where this squad can be different than the last few. We know Mike and Trevor can make 3's but if teams can key on them without worrying about others then we could struggle again BUT if TylerL and Malachi can make shots which I believe that they can it becomes very hard to defend us with 3 shooters on the floor which will be easy to maintain since G can play 3 positions, Malachi 2 positions and TylerL either forward spot. It will also create space for Coleman and TylerR to work low&mid post. When TylerR rests we may see all 4 shooters on the floor together.

Last edited:
Well, I was going to be at practice today (prior to going to Tomcat's wedding tomorrow), but then I broke my ankle ... and am not going to either (600-mile-drive with broken right ankle is not a good idea). Such are the breaks (pun intended).

I've heard it's actually better to break your ankle than to severely sprain it. If you break it it will eventually heal cleanly, whereas if you severely sprain it it will remain tender forever.

264lsts.jpg

This pic is laugh out loud funny... Coach sure does look thrilled to be back!
That face means: we've got a lot of work to do to survive in the ACC, every practice is important, and we're not even close to where we need to be.

I think this is exactly where this squad can be different than the last few. We know Mike and Trevor can make 3's but if teams can key on them without worrying about others then we could struggle again BUT if TylerL and Malachi can make shots which I believe that they can it becomes very hard to defend us with 3 shooters on the floor which will be easy to maintain since G can play 3 positions, Malachi 2 positions and TylerL either forward spot. It will also create space for Coleman and TylerR to work low&mid post. When TylerR rests we may see all 4 shooters on the floor together.
Of course, this is all guess work until we at least see the exhibitions. But whoever is at center will draw less attention that Rak last season. Every team knew he was our main weapon. The perimeter is basically Trevor & Mike (same shooters as last season, although Mike's role is different at the point) and one more (an improved KJ, Lydon or Malachi -- or some rotation of the three). JB will have to sort out combinations, and figure out whether he needs ball-handling, pure shooting, slashing, supplemental inside play, defense to cover 3 point shooters, of inside defense, or whatever.
Which combination of five would be more difficult to defend? SU against a man to man defense or zone? I guess I would wait to see KJ, Lydon and Malachi in action.

Of course, this is all guess work until we at least see the exhibitions. But whoever is at center will draw less attention that Rak last season. Every team knew he was our main weapon. The perimeter is basically Trevor & Mike (same shooters as last season, although Mike's role is different at the point) and one more (an improved KJ, Lydon or Malachi -- or some rotation of the three). JB will have to sort out combinations, and figure out whether he needs ball-handling, pure shooting, slashing, supplemental inside play, defense to cover 3 point shooters, of inside defense, or whatever.
Which combination of five would be more difficult to defend? SU against a man to man defense or zone? I guess I would wait to see KJ, Lydon and Malachi in action.

At this point I'll be surprised if Lydon doesn't log big(25 plus) minutes. I'm not saying he necessarily will start, but there isn't a day that goes by where there isn't a coach, player or member of the media speaking about him. I think his athleticism, ability to rebound, and ability to shoot will have him logging big minutes.

At this point I'll be surprised if Lydon doesn't log big(25 plus) minutes. I'm not saying he necessarily will start, but there isn't a day that goes by where there isn't a coach, player or member of the media speaking about him. I think his athleticism, ability to rebound, and ability to shoot will have him logging big minutes.
I hope he is that good -- his size and potential inside play would be pluses. And Lydon could get minutes spelling Roberson, as well as pairing with Roberson at the forward spots.
And some other factors: KJ might be a whole lot better this season, with 15lbs of added strength. We might need his ball-handling against tight defenses. G and Cooney might be Ok as principal ball-handlers, but I expect they will need the third perimeter player to be a supplemental ball handler.
Or as good as Lydon proves to be, Malachi could be a better option against some defenses. Who is more ready, on defense as well as offense?
Looking forward to November to get observations.

I've heard it's actually better to break your ankle than to severely sprain it. If you break it it will eventually heal cleanly, whereas if you severely sprain it it will remain tender forever.
As a person that has had some horrible ankle sprains - this makes sense to me.

He's also versatile enough to play the 4 on defense (3 on offense) ... and defense is a concern. Last year, our perimeter defense was sieve-like, creating havoc for our inside defenders and opportunities for the other team. The same perimeter guys will start again this year, although I expect some improvement. If we struggle with perimeter defense, opposing guards will again get in the lane and create problems inside. And once that happens, we're less athletic, thinner and less experienced than last year. This is one reason why having G up top is not ideal.

After the shot goes up, Roberson's a talented rebounder for his size. DC2's a beast on the boards, and he appears to be healthy and moving well. But interior defense, depth and athleticism are concerns .. and minutes (size and rebounding) from a talented kid like Lydon could help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom