Dome Renovation | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Buffalo already has a large basketball arena that hosts regionals at times and is in a city that is not really big on college sports. The dome's place is secure especially with some renovations.
its actually the hockey arena isnt it?

6a4258fd49dbfb181254112584a1b95a.jpg
I believe that is the next expansion phase for our friends in Piss-scat-away

its actually the hockey arena isnt it?
Like Madison Square Garden is a hockey arena. They play many sports in First Niagara Center including indoor lacrosse and basketball. It will next play host to some 2017 first and second round tournament games.

It's too big. Too many people raking leaves. Not enough local fans to fill the place. No room for tailgating. Access to/from the highways is limited. I'm sure the preferred seating is very nice, though.
Think of the boating/riverside cocktail possibilities!! Maybe have DB and the team come in by boat and be showered by rose pedals as royal horses draw them into the stadium/grand ball room for a pre-game prayer ... you know, like the Southern schools.

Last edited:
As much as I appreciate having an on campus facility, with the University's expansion plans, the development opportunities in the CNY region and the premium on real estate it's starting to seem that the more logical approach is to build off campus. Complete 180 from where I stood 6 months ago and financing will be a challenge but it really seems like the most logical move.

As much as I appreciate having an on campus facility, with the University's expansion plans, the development opportunities in the CNY region and the premium on real estate it's starting to seem that the more logical approach is to build off campus. Complete 180 from where I stood 6 months ago and financing will be a challenge but it really seems like the most logical move.
If you have that train of thought...then the open land near Destiny would be a no brainer.

IMHO the holdup on the dome is the debate over "is it worth trashing a FB and BB season to do a full renovation"...or do we "save those seasons and either drag out construction longer, or think smaller."

I'm hearing the process is moving slooooooow.

Just let me know when it's time for me to buy Syracuse seasons for football at Giants Stadium and hoop at MSG.

Thanks.

IMHO the holdup on the dome is the debate over "is it worth trashing a FB and BB season to do a full renovation"...or do we "save those seasons and either drag out construction longer, or think smaller."

ONCE you drop the roof and replace it with a hard top you are fully committed to lose a few seasons worth of sports. Nothing has been decided at all. There is no dragging out to a snail pace under that option.

I'm feeling so much better about my snarkyness early on in this thread.

:)

Anything less than a full Reno at this point would be a colossal, once-in-a-generation disappointment.

If you trash a football season now, you will lose the local fans for the next 20 years. Better to make it a lengthy construction,and keep the fans you have. If Dino works out, as we hope you can build the fan base during that time.

If you trash a football season now, you will lose the local fans for the next 20 years. Better to make it a lengthy construction,and keep the fans you have. If Dino works out, as we hope you can build the fan base during that time.

You can't kick Dino out when he's just getting started...

You can't kick Boeheim out when he's just getting finished...

You can't kick Hop out when he's just getting started...

It may be a decade before work begins. ;)

A big renovation will be messy and could take more than a year -- and it's exactly what we need to bring the Dome into the 21'st century.

The recruits will understand. The fans know what DB's about and will rally around him. I also believe they will support a new facility (done the right way) in droves. The right plan (a full re-do) will also draw us closer to our conference competition and, ultimately, take recruiting to a new level (or maybe back to the late 80's).

As far as timing, I think the CMP can be phased; but not the Dome. There's too much at stake and interruptions are too difficult to deal with. For these reasons, the last thing we should consider is compromising the design or piddling out the process over multiple years. Take the hit while the team's in rebuilding mode anyway the next 2 years (thats according to the coach, btw).

Last edited:
Isn't starting something in the next year or two highly unlikely? SU hasn't even decided what they want to do yet. They'll need to land on a plan, bid out the various parts of the job, get all of the regulation hurdles cleared, devise how to limit impact to the campus and academic buildings next door, potentially secure other places to play or practice, etc.

That alone would seem to take a couple years before the first bit of actual work even begins, right?

Isn't starting something in the next year or two highly unlikely? SU hasn't even decided what they want to do yet. They'll need to land on a plan, bid out the various parts of the job, get all of the regulation hurdles cleared, devise how to limit impact to the campus and academic buildings next door, potentially secure other places to play or practice, etc.

That alone would seem to take a couple years before the first bit of actual work even begins, right?
th

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom