Dome Renovation | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

The biggest issue IMHO is the disruption of a redo of the Dome to the campus and the sports teams. Basketball is the biggest disruption...lacrosse the least. The issue of using huge cranes means at least one year of sports is disrupted.

Realistically, the school should probably wait until the I-81 decision is made. A lot of options for the stadium and future growth of the campus evolves around that decision.
That does makes a lot of sense Mark. Any rumblings of what way that decision is heading? I've heard there are forces on both sides.

The biggest issue IMHO is the disruption of a redo of the Dome to the campus and the sports teams. Basketball is the biggest disruption...lacrosse the least. The issue of using huge cranes means at least one year of sports is disrupted.

Realistically, the school should probably wait until the I-81 decision is made. A lot of options for the stadium and future growth of the campus evolves around that decision.
Good point. No doubt a big re-do will be disruptive, especially for FB/BB. In this regard, it seems like there are 2 options: 1) take the hit now while FB's rebuilding ... we probably won't be playing to our potential for 2 years anyway; or 2) wait 2 years and then cause even more disruption when the FB team's on track and playing better with 2 classes of Baber recruits. Seems like option 1 is more desirable.

However, like any big project, there are about 100 different things going on that I didn't mention. Highway ingress/egress (I-81), parking, the rest of the campus master plan, designing, permitting, contracting, SEQR, etc... So those complications may push us out. But just in terms of team disruption, I'd take the hit sooner rather than later. By sooner I'm thinking the Spring of 2017 after BB is done.

Last edited:
Ingersoll Rand who owns Trane has their corporate HQ in Ireland (low corporate taxes) and JCI who owns York has announced they are doing the same after a recent merger with Tyco.
It's the new 'murika... run the company from fancy US offices, build the products in low-wage locations and keep the profits elsewhere. We're not going to change that here. I'd support buying items that were manufactured, or at least assembled, in the U.S..

I know that Trane had an manufacturing location in East Texas. I'm not sure if it's still there.

TexanMark said:
Parking is problematic there...but I think there could be some solutions. I thought the spot had potential but hasn't that ship sailed?

Yeah. I agree some parking issues but less than current and a pretty big swath of undeveloped land around water and Erie. But yeah I think it may have sailed.

reedny said:
I don't see this. The Dome's 35+ years old. It's still a great facility, but it's looking tired. The concourses are crowded and the place has a concrete feel. Food options are limited, boxes and seating in general need updating, etc, etc.. I can't imagine them just re-roofing the facility when they've engaged a slew of internationally respected consultants and designers to do a campus master plan and all the rest. The trajectory seems (to me) to be towards a full re-do, which is what we (and the FB program) need.

Ive got a low cost solution for the crowded concourses if we need small steps just pick up the phone and call.

TexanMark said:

I think youre right theyre also waiting the 81 decision, Only good thing with frontrunning the 81 project is then DOT would need to account for the stadium if it were in a new location not the other way around.

Heard of some potentially very good news for the Fitzpatrick Nuclear plant tonight. Heard the R's and D'S from the state assembly is going to work together on this.

Heard of some potentially very good news for the Fitzpatrick Nuclear plant tonight. Heard the R's and D'S from the state assembly is going to work together on this.
81 construction? or state money for a new stadium?

81 construction? or state money for a new stadium?
Nothing as I forgot to ask those questions,but they did say lots of money to be spent on the hill. Really no one knows what the hell they are going to do up there. Things are just in a design phase to look at options.

From some of the things they do keep bringing on what they want to do,they are better off just building a whole new stadium. I have worked on projects out of state much bigger than a stadium and I think they are nuts if they think they can get all the want done in a very short time window. Someone is blowing smoke up their asses up there.

I think youre right theyre also waiting the 81 decision, Only good thing with frontrunning the 81 project is then DOT would need to account for the stadium if it were in a new location not the other way around.
Bartender Driscoll already said they're not considering dome event traffic in the 81 plans, so don't hold your breath either way. But don't worry, the state has their best and brightest assigned to this project.

TexanMark said:
The biggest issue IMHO is the disruption of a redo of the Dome to the campus and the sports teams. Basketball is the biggest disruption...lacrosse the least. The issue of using huge cranes means at least one year of sports is disrupted. Realistically, the school should probably wait until the I-81 decision is made. A lot of options for the stadium and future growth of the campus evolves around that decision.
mark, I was told that no sports will be fully impacted. The plan is to have the major renovation done by football season.

reedny said:
Agree. And honestly, (other than parking) I don't understand the desire to build something near a local Mall. I know there are some HUGE SU fans that want this, and that's understandable if you live locally. But I can't imagine giving up the biggest asset that SU has ... an on-campus Dome'd facility impervious to weather ... so the team can get bussed out to a mall to play at some multi-purpose field house financed by New York State. Not only would we have to give up massive amounts of control (sharing the facility with semi-pro sports, all kinds of City/regional events), we'd be giving up the most iconic symbol of our sports identity that (once redone) is just waiting to explode for higher level recruits. I don't see it.

Don't have a dog in the fight but high level recruits won't care if it's on campus or not.

If it's got a roof it will still be the only college program playing football inside.

And the Mall is a bigger draw than people think.

Also: "let's go to the game or I'll go and you can go see a movie or let the kids do go-carts, etc..."

I am still holding out hope for a brand new dome, regardless of location. If it is a great facility, we will get over it not being on campus.

Agree. And honestly, (other than parking) I don't understand the desire to build something near a local Mall. I know there are some HUGE SU fans that want this, and that's understandable if you live locally. But I can't imagine giving up the biggest asset that SU has ... an on-campus Dome'd facility impervious to weather ... so the team can get bussed out to a mall to play at some multi-purpose field house financed by New York State. Not only would we have to give up massive amounts of control (sharing the facility with semi-pro sports, all kinds of City/regional events), we'd be giving up the most iconic symbol of our sports identity that (once redone) is just waiting to explode for higher level recruits.

I don't see it.

With the IPF and Melo the teams that use the dome don't need it as a practice facility any more. If the school wants to do a limited renovation on the dome that fine. But to drop hundreds of millions of dollars on a facility up on a hill tucked inside a campus with limited access and parking is crazy. You will never generate the revenue necessary to support that investment. To hold the number and scale of events to support that investment will either entail constant disruption to student residents and/or smaller than needed attendance.

If it was up to me and I'm looking at spending that kind of money, I'm building from scratch, in a spot that has enough parking already in place, is in already in a hub that has multiple points of exit in every direction that feed into 81 and 690 in both directions.

You can't discount ease of access, robust parking, flat terrain for an aging local population, if you want to increase the attendance of marginally interested fans.

Also allows for constant use to generate the cash flows needed in a non disruptive way. A configurable facility that can host full field (FB, Lax, Soccer), hoops, and hockey, along with concerts and other events is the way to go if you are spending that much money in a community this size. You need almost 365 days of use.

Last edited:
I think it will be a substantial renovation (they know what they have in an on campus facility) and I think it will take years (and is years away, as it will take at least 18 months to two years to get the design and then construction documents together once a direction is decided upon, and that isn't really taking politics and decision making onto the mix). There is no design on the table, just ideas.

NJCuse97 said:
I have liked this idea for a while. Access directly from 481

I'm not saying it with any direct knowledge. Just repeating what I've said for years.

I'm not saying it with any direct knowledge. Just repeating what I've said for years.
I agree if building new. Cost will be higher but overall it's the best spot. Close to campus/"on" campus. Easy access. Lots of room unless the proposed "cargo distribution facility " eats it up (though that will likely need a 481 on/off ramp the stadium could leverage). Might have to go where Drumlins is.

I'll personally take a bulldozer to Drumlins West.
giphy.gif

I agree if building new. Cost will be higher but overall it's the best spot. Close to campus/"on" campus. Easy access. Lots of room unless the proposed "cargo distribution facility " eats it up (though that will likely need a 481 on/off ramp the stadium could leverage). Might have to go where Drumlins is.
The last time the university looked at this, the targeted location was Drumlins West.

The last time the university looked at this, the targeted location was Drumlins West.
Makes sense but will generate a lot of NIMBY noise (as any new site will). The big benefit of the current site is that it's already there and no need for site approvals and all that it entails (fights and possible delays). It will probably come down to cost and funding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom