Dome Renovation | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

FrancoPizza said:
I don't get the cute fawning over 44k. Y'all sound like a bunch of teenage girls with the hots for Beebs. I understand that it makes business sense, but at the end of the day it's still downsizing. If you're a program trying to go big-time, it's not exactly the kind of thing to be gushing over. Bury the capacity reduction in the footnotes, it's not something to celebrate. The other renovation stuff all sounds promising, and that should be the focus.

The Dome was built too big. Football has never been able to support 50K consistently (or even inconsistently). Somewhere in the 42-44K vicinity is the right size.

I imagine an issue might be how hoops is affected with a capacity reduction. But I'm guessing smart people can figure out how to configure the place for the occasional 30K+ crowd. As long as it can be configured for a typical hoops capacity of 26K all should be fine.

the money is there they just need to approve what will actually be done. I heard the plans and most of it is thought to be set in stone. Some things them at they want to do could change. For instance they want to bring the basketball seats closer to the court and eliminate the aisle around it. But I was told that could still change. The new attendance is going to be 44k though, I thought that was cool.

This is not at all what I have heard. Nothing is set at all and the money is not there. The endowment is not meant for capital spending like this. The school is not cash heavy. There is still a lot of churn and house cleaning going on. Syverud is doing his own Babers job still, as is Coyle. These two cannot be as quick or big with their blades. They need to be measured in their approach. So many more interests affected. The only projects approved to move forward at this point are the Veterans' Center, which is getting seed money from the recent $500 million state infusion, and a landscaping beautification project on University Place. The Veterans Center is in the midst of an invited design competition, and the landscaping was awarded to Sasaki, the firm that did the masterplan. That is it. Any vote approving a capital planning effort will have to include a vote on how best to raise that money. If they come out approving $500 million for Dome improvements, it only means that when they get that money, that's what it will go to... for now... until they vote differently later... Chancellor still wants his med school afterall. New Provost hire might change some priorities.

NJCuse97 said:
This is not at all what I have heard. Nothing is set at all and the money is not there. The endowment is not meant for capital spending like this. The school is not cash heavy. There is still a lot of churn and house cleaning going on. Syverud is doing his own Babers job still, as is Coyle. These two cannot be as quick or big with their blades. They need to be measured in their approach. So many more interests affected. The only projects approved to move forward at this point are the Veterans' Center, which is getting seed money from the recent $500 million state infusion, and a landscaping beautification project on University Place. The Veterans Center is in the midst of an invited design competition, and the landscaping was awarded to Sasaki, the firm that did the masterplan. That is it. Any vote approving a capital planning effort will have to include a vote on how best to raise that money. If they come out approving $500 million for Dome improvements, it only means that when they get that money, that's what it will go to... for now... until they vote differently later... Chancellor still wants his med school afterall. New Provost hire might change some priorities.

There's at least one other major project that's been given the go ahead. Should be announced on campus this week.

I don't get the cute fawning over 44k. Y'all sound like a bunch of teenage girls with the hots for Beebs. I understand that it makes business sense, but at the end of the day it's still downsizing. If you're a program trying to go big-time, it's not exactly the kind of thing to be gushing over. Bury the capacity reduction in the footnotes, it's not something to celebrate.

The other renovation stuff all sounds promising, and that should be the focus.

Less silver bleachers, more cushions and nice things.

There's at least one other major project that's been given the go ahead. Should be announced on campus this week.
Would certainly be helpful for recruiting if a new drawing of a shiny new Dome should appear this week. ;)

Last edited:
NJCuse97 said:
I guess we will see.

xc84 said:
They won't reduce unless it is to improve seating. If they do, it's sort of cutesy to have 44K but I could not care less.
the first level will be theatre seating

I don't get the cute fawning over 44k. Y'all sound like a bunch of teenage girls with the hots for Beebs. I understand that it makes business sense, but at the end of the day it's still downsizing. If you're a program trying to go big-time, it's not exactly the kind of thing to be gushing over. Bury the capacity reduction in the footnotes, it's not something to celebrate.

The other renovation stuff all sounds promising, and that should be the focus.

I don't really care what the number is, but if a slight reduction in capacity allows for more room then I'm all for it. I'm over the whole stand up, lean back and turn my feet as far sideways as possible to let people out, while they're almost falling on me and still stepping on my feet anyways. I'm also over making physical contact with the people next to me while I sit and watch the game. We're literally touching shoulders and hips. Reality is there's a lot of heavy people in America (and CNY has more than it's share)...there's just not much room in that Dome when everyone in your row shows up.

reedny said:
Would certainly be helpful for recruiting if a shiny new drawing of the renovated Dome should appear. ;)

I'm not talking about athletics at all.

I don't really care what the number is, but if a slight reduction in capacity allows for more room then I'm all for it. I'm over the whole stand up, lean back and turn my feet as far sideways as possible to let people out, while they're almost falling on me and still stepping on my feet anyways. I'm also over making physical contact with the people next to me while I sit and watch the game. We're literally touching shoulders and hips. Reality is there's a lot of heavy people in America (and CNY has more than it's share)...there's just not much room in that Dome when everyone in your row shows up.
Amen!

Might even make the Dome look relatively filled when on national TV. All for it!

come down to cornell at watch a hockey game and you will appreciate the room the dome has

They are further along than this. That much I can guarantee. It's going to happen, just a question of when and how, what, why and where. When the last 4 are known then when will be known, which all comes down to money.

come down to cornell at watch a hockey game and you will appreciate the room the dome has
Totally not your point, but what if a dome renovation could yield itself to a hockey team being able to play in there... I know the Crunch played there once, but something that would make a transition much quicker perhaps. Man I want a SU men's hockey team!

I was told a couple of years ago that if they put individual seats in the Dome, each row loses two seats. I think it brings the total capacity to 44-45,000.

I was told a couple of years ago that if they put individual seats in the Dome, each row loses two seats. I think it brings the total capacity to 44-45,000.

Let's assume that all the lower level basketball seats are sold out. If they eliminate 2 seats per row, that's almost 400 people who will homeless.

I wonder who gets to deliver the bad news.

if you figure out a way to add another level of seats to the pull out side problem solved. and thats easily doable by 2-3X that amount.

I would put money on this statement being wrong.
In the ideal world it would move to the other end of the Dome, possibly sunken 8-10 feet... allowing for more, and closer, court side seating. I could even see one of the sunken sideline areas being a student standing section... the new Zoo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom