Dome Renovation | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

FrancoPizza said:
"What to do with the dome"... I dunno, that screams to me like they are a bit scared to go all in. I would have preferred an uplifting one-liner like, "we have ambitious plans for modernizing SU athletics, but we are still in the process of finalizing the path we want to take."

Does the cloud over your head follow you everywhere?

sutomcat said:
Yes, basketball was an after thought that was designed in at the last minut;, hence the problems we are discussing. I think designing egress/ingress from the top for the movable bleacher section(s) is one of the things that has to be done. Maybe they can add a couple aisles underneath the stands that people sitting down low can use to avoid climbing up and coming down. There should be space for the ramps/stairs under the stands...they will just lose some storage space underneath that they once used for rolled up sections of turf in the days before they permanently installed field turf. There should be a lot more room for storage in the expanded Dome, so this should not be a big issue. I am excited for all the possibilities...

Am I crazy or did they have top row exit ramps for NCAA tourney games once upon a time?

Am I crazy or did they have top row exit ramps for NCAA tourney games once upon a time?

You are not crazy. Since nobody is allowed on the floor during NCAA games, they build ramps to connect the bleachers to Aisles 101 and 116.

However, they're not very portable. Takes some time to set up and take down.

You couldn't have the ramps in place for a Saturday night game, and convert to LAX for Sunday.

OrangeXtreme said:
You are not crazy. Since nobody is allowed on the floor during NCAA games, they build ramps to connect the bleachers to Aisles 101 and 116. However, they're not very portable. Takes some time to set up and take down. You couldn't have the ramps in place for a Saturday night game, and convert to LAX for Sunday.

Ahhhh. Phew!

OrangeXtreme said:
You are not crazy. Since nobody is allowed on the floor during NCAA games, they build ramps to connect the bleachers to Aisles 101 and 116. However, they're not very portable. Takes some time to set up and take down. You couldn't have the ramps in place for a Saturday night game, and convert to LAX for Sunday.
Are they not always there? I personally used them at a midnight madness.

Never mind I'm thinking of the stairs down from the top of the bleacher section.

Are they not always there?

I personally used them at a midnight madness.

There are usually steps from the top of the bleacher section that lead down the back of the bleachers to the Dome floor.

Scooch is talking about wooden ramps/bridges that are constructed for NCAA Tournaments only.

Scooch is talking about wooden ramps/bridges that are constructed for NCAA Tournaments only.
The ones that I envisioned for my rollout bleachers expansion would be shorter (due to a wider side court bleacher setup) and easier to setup & take down.

I'm curious to see what the new configuration will be. Hopefully some will be bold and forward thinking...

http://news.syr.edu/chancellor-syverud-provides-update-on-key-university-initiatives-61178/

Campus Framework

Regarding the campus framework, the most common question I get about the campus framework, is when are we going to see the whole thing?

It’s been evolving to include some new developments, including what I’ll mention last, which is the National Veterans Resources Complex that came out of the Upstate Revitalization Initiative, which is a major construction project.

It includes a promenade at University Place, which includes converting University Place from in front of Newhouse all the way to the Goldstein Center, as a primarily pedestrian, not vehicle traffic and opening it up in various ways.

It also includes concepts for what we’ll do about connecting up through various accesses the various parts of campus, including the access running all the way from the Life Sciences Complex to the West Campus.

And finally it includes, what’s the reason for some delay, which is figuring out what to do about the Dome.

I’ve received lots of questions about it, and there’s lots of great work that has been done by the committee, by Sasaki working with the committee, and by various offices on campus. We are continuing to talk with the Board of Trustees about what to roll out and when, including a planned meeting next week.

I do expect—that with Board approval—we’ll start rolling out much more detailed communication about the Campus Framework this semester and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later in the semester.

OttoMets said:
This is true. But I'm also under the impression that a centered court is an option.
I was told that it's 100% not happening. It was one of my first questions.

Cheriehoop said:
Wonder how many season tickets are sold in the lower level? Hopefully it wouldn't affect the students negatively. Perhaps move the press to the 2nd tier and stop adding more rows of courtside seating pushing the students and fans even further back. Oh and keep Bees seats the same;)
press box could go to third level

card00387_fr.jpg

I spend many hours in that tank, looks a little different now.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    265.7 KB · Views: 125
At this point I think most every top 20 school does maybe more. I've seen Dartmouth and BU's.

From the dome's operating budget???

Well, according to the 2015 budget, operational costs for the athletic department was approximately 60 million, not including the approx. operating costs of 9 mil for the Dome. Based on same, that would be quite the cut relative/exclusively to the Dome. :eek:;)

I wonder if the exterior appearance could be improved by growing ivy on the walls like Wrigley Field. Cheap solution if it can be done.

Paint gotta be cheaper and easier.

image.jpeg

I wonder if the exterior appearance could be improved by growing ivy on the walls like Wrigley Field. Cheap solution if it can be done.
They could just go across the street and chop some off of Illick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom