Dome | Syracusefan.com

Dome

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
FWIW- Was told this week by an SU professor (not that one Bees) that there are clear and definite plans to retro-fit the Dome with a solid roof as well as to update it. Will lose some seats for structure reasons with the new weight.

Also, he has heard the same rumors about Gross being on his way out.

He really likes the new Chancellor, especially in light of the last administration.

FWIW- Was told this week by an SU professor (not that one Bees) that there are clear and definite plans to retro-fit the Dome with a solid roof as well as to update it. Will lose some seats for structure reasons with the new weight.

He really likes the new Chancellor, especially in light of the last administration.

Solid, retractable roof?

Unlikely. Cost would negate any minimal positives to a retractable roof. They could, however, fit some AC's on a fixed roof structure.
retractable roof in cny is ridiculous as well.

give the Dome a new fancy hat, and yes...find a way to keep it cool the few times a year you need to.

graduation.
and 2, maybe 3 football games.

give the Dome a new fancy hat, and yes...find a way to keep it cool the few times a year you need to.

graduation.

Exactly... save money on the roof and put it into infrastructure and amenities. makes no sense to have a retractable roof in CNY.

Like everything about this, except for the Gross rumor. Hope he sticks around. He thinks big! I like that!

clearroof.jpg
Like this, just a little bit bigger.

You better fit AC's if you're fitting a translucent roof. Go to a game in a dome and come home sun burnt. That'd be a trip.

Use orange-tinted translucent panels. Fixed!

graduation.
That usage figure is based on a screaming hot dome. Make it comfortable and it can be used more in the summer for events.

Unlikely. Cost would negate any minimal positives to a retractable roof. They could, however, fit some AC's on a fixed roof structure.
Just going by the articles I have read. Creating structure for fixed roof = $250-300M. Making that roof retractable add $20M (someone here posted that) to $80M.

That usage figure is based on a screaming hot dome. Make it comfortable and it can be used more in the summer for events.

despite my emphatic stance above, I'd be interested to hear what additional events a retractable roof would be able to bring to the Dome. I read somewhere that there are over 315 events a year held at the facility. Now granted some of those are during the same day. Mens and womens hoops, lax, etc. But would additional concerts really come to the dome simply because we could open the roof?

The heat adds character, #hardnose, but I'd certainly shut the H$%^ up if they somehow made it more temperate! :)

Just going by the articles I have read. Creating structure for fixed roof = $250-300M. Making that roof retractable add $20M (someone here posted that) to $80M.

If seen multiple number thrown out but I would imagine the cost descrepency to be higher. I have no engineering or construction acumen but a retractable roof would potentially need more support for added weight as well the added parts/motors required to opporate said roof.

I'm thinking Coupe vs Convterible. Convertable adds weight and loses chassis rigidity do to having to top chopped off. My application for a roof with that would be all the weight supported by the dome supports having to hold outward as well as upward vs a fixed roof that would supprt itself in the middle similar to a keystone on a door frame.

Could be way off but that's my thought process. Movable parts generally cost more and are not as structurally sound.

despite my emphatic stance above, I'd be interested to hear what additional events a retractable roof would be able to bring to the Dome. I read somewhere that there are over 315 events a year held at the facility. Now granted some of those are during the same day. Mens and womens hoops, lax, etc. But would additional concerts really come to the dome simply because we could open the roof?

The heat adds character, #hardnose, but I'd certainly shut the H$%^ up if they somehow made it more temperate! :)
While there may be 315 events. most must be really small. I wasn't just referring to a retractable roof. I just said make it comfortable (A/C is another option) in the summer and it could be used for more events. I have not seen/noticed any large events in the hot summer months.

While there may be 315 events. most must be really small. I wasn't just referring to a retractable roof. I just said make it comfortable (A/C is another option) in the summer and it could be used for more events. I have not seen/noticed any large events in the hot summer months.
college was mid 90s for me but i remember working some of those events being piddly lunches for handfuls of people (work study)

If seen multiple number thrown out but I would imagine the cost descrepency to be higher. I have no engineering or construction acumen but a retractable roof would potentially need more support for added weight as well the added parts/motors required to opporate said roof.

For Minnesota's roof:
"Adding a retractable roof has been estimated to cost an additional $25 million to $40 million. The cost of a retractable feature alone, like a door or window, is more like $5 million to $10 million."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_23235098/vikings-verge-unveiling-final-stadium-design

"Nothing has been finalized, but my sense is that the cost of a fully retractable roof -- between $25 million and $50 million depending on technology, plus annual operation and maintenance costs -- will be deemed too high for a part-time feature. A relatively tight $975 million budget and ongoing revenue struggles qualify as secondary reasons why the Vikings might be headed toward shelving the idea."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/55203/vikings-stadium-doubting-a-retractable-roof

the trollish side of me hopesSU put a retractables roof on whatever stadium, then sets some kind of record for never opening the roof, gets laughed at for it, then says "oh it" and opens it in the middle of a miserable rainy november day just to end the streak

retractable roof nfl teams keep roofs closed 2/3 of the time. our weather is probably worse

But wouldn't their be issues retrofitting an existing structure vs building new?
My thought is no. The main cost of retro-fitting the dome is adding the supports needed for a non-air-supported roof. That will be in the hundreds of millions. In the case of Minnesota, they are building a structure that can hold such a roof. For our dome, they would have to add support for a non-air-supported roof too...whether it is retractable or not. So, I think the part about the additional costs of making a roof retractable v. not are applicable to our discussion of the Carrier Dome. I don't see why there would be extra support needed for a retractable roof v. non-retractable and I think the Minnesota dome bears that out. They say could make it retractable for $25M to $40M more. I don't think that requires extra support above and beyond what is needed for a fixed roof... but if it does, then the assessment is still the same... it's an extra $25M to $40M (using this article as a reference) to go from non-retractable design to retractable.

the trollish side of me hopesSU put a retractables roof on whatever stadium, then sets some kind of record for never opening the roof, gets laughed at for it, then says "oh it" and opens it in the middle of a miserable rainy november day just to end the streak
Do you have another side? Ok, I could not help myself.

retractable roof nfl teams keep roofs closed 2/3 of the time. our weather is probably worse
seriously, what do they make the stands and seats out of in retractable roof stadiums??

all these Stadiums in the north/northeast wherever, sit right out there and take punch after punch in the face from mother nature and its not really an issue.

but as soon as you throw a roof on it, it cant handle moisture. 'we got a 2% chance of rain today, better keep the roof closed.'

are the people who go to retractable roof stadiums also a different species?? can they not handle a slight sprinkle for a couple of minutes till it passes?? do they all of a sudden not know how to dress for the weather??

add a nice hard roof to it, and build out around it to help.

go for the full monte too. if we are going to sell beer in there, just put a sportsbar right in the base of the new structure to capture the weather weak tailgaters in there. it would also do boffo biz for hoop. espn saturday game of the week at 9, get to the bar at 3. if gameday or whatever they call it when digger and that crew show up...get there at 8am.

seriously, what do they make the stands and seats out of in retractable roof stadiums??

all these Stadiums in the north/northeast wherever, sit right out there and take punch after punch in the face from mother nature and its not really an issue.

but as soon as you throw a roof on it, it cant handle moisture. 'we got a 2% chance of rain today, better keep the roof closed.'

are the people who go to retractable roof stadiums also a different species?? can they not handle a slight sprinkle for a couple of minutes till it passes?? do they all of a sudden not know how to dress for the weather??

add a nice hard roof to it, and build out around it to help.

go for the full monte too. if we are going to sell beer in there, just put a sportsbar right in the base of the new structure to capture the weather weak tailgaters in there. it would also do boffo biz for hoop. espn saturday game of the week at 9, get to the bar at 3. if gameday or whatever they call it when digger and that crew show up...get there at 8am.
I think the problem with moisture is related to the mechanisms that open and close the domes. In the case of a fabric roof, there is a bigger issue... there are folds in the roof when open that could collect water. The added weight of that water could be dangerous. Another issue is if you have an indoor stadium, you don't create field water collection systems so rain will cause field issues.

This gives an interesting take on baseball... so maybe they are open more than expected.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blo...mong-retractable-roof-stadiums-162997536.html

"
If I were to ask you -- how many times per year do you think Safeco Field's roof was closed for rain over the course of an 81-game home season, what would you guess?

Keep in mind, you are balancing Seattle's rainy reputation with the fact that much of the baseball season is played in the summer dry season.

5 games a year? 10? 20? 40? It turns out, on average, the answer is just under 19 times a season -- or 23 percent of the home games, according to Rebecca Hale, the Seattle Mariners Director of Public Information. The record was 25 in 2010, while fewest closures was 10 in 2006. Last year it was 21 games."

Here is a football one:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/nfl-teams-tend-keep-retractable-roofs-closed/nWcNT/

The four NFL teams with retractable-roof stadiums have chosen to play almost twice as many games with the roofs closed than with them open.
The cost of a retractable roof is tens of millions of dollars more than a fixed roof.

Yet, the NFL teams with retractable roofs — the Houston Texans, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts and Dallas Cowboys — have played 66 percent of their games in their current stadiums with the roofs closed, according to figures obtained from the teams by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Out of 225 regular-season and playoff games in the four stadiums, 149 have been played with the roof closed and 76 with it open.

The Texans have played 31 games with the roof open and 59 with it closed; the Cardinals 19 with it open and 40 with it closed; the Colts 13 open and 30 closed; and the Cowboys 13 open and 20 closed. The stadiums range in age from 11 years (the Texans’) to four years (the Cowboys’).