Dome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dome

build it and they will come.jpg
JUST FRIGGIN' BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME... or I'll kick their friggin' azz!

Is it me, or are people missing the real story here? You don't replace the roof with a permanent structure unless you have to. Which makes me think the dome is going to expand out...and lose its ability to operate the ventilation systems that support the roof. Sounds like that rumored west side expansion project.

This would also mean no new stadium on or off campus.

Is it me, or are people missing the real story here? You don't replace the roof with a permanent structure unless you have to. Which makes me think the dome is going to expand out...and lose its ability to operate the ventilation systems that support the roof. Sounds like that rumored west side expansion project.

This would also mean no new stadium on or off campus.
West-Side-Story-west-side-story-27587835-915-900.jpg

Is this a 3-4 month project, or will we be playing football on J-D's new turf field for a season? :oops:

Football will play games all over the country to support the new marketing campaign "University of Syracuse- America's College Team".

Hoops home games will move to the Fairgrounds with the overflow crowd under huge tents in Chevy Court watching on big screens. Pitino becomes the 1st D1 coach to drink wine slushies during a game.

Just a novice's guess: I would think first order would be to build the support structures and any additions to the Dome on the west side while maintaining air pressure. I would imagine the Dome would build the roof starting in late Feb/early March to early/mid September late in the project. Lacrosse games would have to play at an alternate location. A backup plan would have Football games in Ithaca/MetLife if their were delays with the roof into the Fall. I could see this project going on for 18-24 months. The train would have to come back and be part of the parking plan.

Is this a 3-4 month project, or will we be playing football on J-D's new turf field for a season? :oops:

Home games at the IPF, unless of course the new roof gets built before the IPF does.

Just a novice's guess: I would think first order would be to build the support structures and any additions to the Dome on the west side while maintaining air pressure. I would imagine the Dome would build the roof starting in late Feb/early March to early/mid September late in the project. Lacrosse games would have to play at an alternate location. A backup plan would have Football games in Ithaca/MetLife if their were delays with the roof into the Fall. I could see this project going on for 18-24 months. The train would have to come back and be part of the parking plan.
if Syracuse plays at schoelkopf, then yes...zak was right, they should just drop to 1aa.

i know they played one there in 79, but that was different. to do so now would be a disaster.

Giants Stadium, Rich Stadium or even Yankee Stadium should be the only choices.

looks like theres some good smoke around a new Dome Bonnet.

this should make everyone happy.

if Syracuse plays at schoelkopf, then yes...zak was right, they should just drop to 1aa.

i know they played one there in 79, but that was different. to do so now would be a disaster.

Giants Stadium, Rich Stadium or even Yankee Stadium should be the only choices.

looks like theres some good smoke around a new Dome Bonnet.

this should make everyone happy.

As long as schoelkopf doesn't exceed the season ticket totals...we could survive playing our 1AA OOC game there and maybe another one like a Tulane. I agree the other games will have to go to larger facilities.

My thought is no. The main cost of retro-fitting the dome is adding the supports needed for a non-air-supported roof. That will be in the hundreds of millions. In the case of Minnesota, they are building a structure that can hold such a roof. For our dome, they would have to add support for a non-air-supported roof too...whether it is retractable or not. So, I think the part about the additional costs of making a roof retractable v. not are applicable to our discussion of the Carrier Dome. I don't see why there would be extra support needed for a
retractable roof v. non-retractable and I think the Minnesota dome bears that out. They say could make it retractable for $25M to $40M more. I don't think that requires extra support above and beyond what is needed for a fixed roof... but if it does, then the assessment is still the same... it's an extra $25M to $40M (using this article as a reference) to go from non-retractable design to retractable.
That extra $25-40M could be put to better use.

As long as schoelkopf doesn't exceed the season ticket totals...we could survive playing our 1AA OOC game there and maybe another one like a Tulane. I agree the other games will have to go to larger facilities.
yeah, the 1aa i suppose could sneak in there.

lets look at this years sched:

nova: @schoelkopf
maryland: @Giants Stadium *close for alumni for both
nd: @Giants Stadium *added for the hell of it
lville: @Giants Stadium *could put at rich, closer i suppose
fla st: @Giants Stadium *seriously? no brainer
nc st: @Rich Stadium *not big enough
duke: @Rich Stadium *not big enough, make em travel and welcome to the weather

Use orange-tinted translucent panels. Fixed!

I'm with you if we can get a few 44's in Blue. No sense wasting a great tradition when we can throw it in opponents faces and advertise our history to recruits.

A backup plan would have Football games in Ithaca/MetLife if their were delays with the roof into the Fall. I could see this project going on for 18-24 months. The train would have to come back and be part of the parking plan.[/quote]

Just my opinion but this would be a very risky move. Program is just starting to regain some buzz among the casual fan base and only the hard core would support a full slate of games 2 - 4 hours away. Risk is losing the newbies by not offering a product for a full year. I'm also of the opinion that we should sit tight for at least a couple of years on any stadium moves - new or retrofit - until we see where the perceived positive momentum carries the program. If HCSS gets us to a position where we are winning 9 - 10 games a year a plan that reduces seating capacity may be a terrible move. If we can truly become NY's college team for football, even Upstate NY's college team isn't there a chance we can appeal to a potential attendance base of 50 - 60k instead of 35?

A backup plan would have Football games in Ithaca/MetLife if their were delays with the roof into the Fall. I could see this project going on for 18-24 months. The train would have to come back and be part of the parking plan.

Just my opinion but this would be a very risky move. Program is just starting to regain some buzz among the casual fan base and only the hard core would support a full slate of games 2 - 4 hours away. Risk is losing the newbies by not offering a product for a full year. I'm also of the opinion that we should sit tight for at least a couple of years on any stadium moves - new or retrofit - until we see where the perceived positive momentum carries the program. If HCSS gets us to a position where we are winning 9 - 10 games a year a plan that reduces seating capacity may be a terrible move. If we can truly become NY's college team for football, even Upstate NY's college team isn't there a chance we can appeal to a potential attendance base of 50 - 60k instead of 35?

Agree with all that you said except the last sentence or two. I'd rather lose a couple/several hundred seats to renovation/expansion and have the Dome full and rocking. Very little chance of actually adding seating, IMHO.

People, anyone worth their salt in planning stadium renovations can figure out how to simultaneously use a facility while doing said renovations.

MSG was open nearly constantly for a couple years while improvements were made. Fenway Park was in a constant state of renovation for a decade and they never had to play a ball game at BC.

Please, just stop with that stuff.

People, anyone worth their salt in planning stadium renovations can figure out how to simultaneously use a facility while doing said renovations.

MSG was open nearly constantly for a couple years while improvements were made. Fenway Park was in a constant state of renovation for a decade and they never had to play a ball game at BC.

The Silverdome played its first game with the roof half-finished and not even inflated.

4.jpg

actually, the Garden was shut from at least June-Oct during all 3 phases. your soon to be EC Champions opened with a nifty 10 game road trip this year. fenway is open air and stayed open air, the renovations were basically done on the outside coming in.

putting a hard top on what is now the Dome (can we finally drop that name and get new sponsorship $$$ in on this) has got to be more difficult.

there was never a scaffolding on pitchers mound, there will be one on the 50. (im dying to sit on the green monster btw)

Last edited: