Dome | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dome

actually, the Garden was shut from at least June-Oct during all 3 phases. your soon to be EC Champions opened with a nifty 10 game road trip this year. fenway is open air and stayed open air, the renovations were basically done on the outside coming in.

putting a hard top on what is now the Dome (can we finally drop that name and get new sponsorship $$$ in on this) has got to be more difficult.

there was never a scaffolding on pitchers mound, there will be one on the 50. (im dying to sit on the green monster btw)

Oh, I get all that. My point though is that it's hard to imagine that they can't build the external scaffolding they'd need and then do the roof work over a 6 month span.

I mean, we're not talking about building the Pyramids here, it's a steel roof.

According to Wikipedia the entire Dome took 17 months to build, and that was 35 years ago. Thinking we could merely re-roof the thing in 6.

The Silverdome played its first game with the roof half-finished and not even inflated.

4.jpg

Good find - I was looking for that photo the other day after reading about the recent deterioration.

Oh, I get all that. My point though is that it's hard to imagine that they can't build the external scaffolding they'd need and then do the roof work over a 6 month span.

I mean, we're not talking about building the Pyramids here, it's a steel roof.

According to Wikipedia the entire Dome took 17 months to build, and that was 35 years ago. Thinking we could merely re-roof the thing in 6.

It is going to be more than a 6 month project. The actual roofing sure...but a whole lot of engineered work in close vicinity to other buildings increases the complexity tenfold.

It is going to be more than a 6 month project. The actual roofing sure...but a whole lot of engineered work in close vicinity to other buildings increases the complexity tenfold.

Got it. Just talking about time the Dome would need to be completely out of use.

actually, the Garden was shut from at least June-Oct during all 3 phases. your soon to be EC Champions opened with a nifty 10 game road trip this year. fenway is open air and stayed open air, the renovations were basically done on the outside coming in.

putting a hard top on what is now the Dome (can we finally drop that name and get new sponsorship $$$ in on this) has got to be more difficult.

there was never a scaffolding on pitchers mound, there will be one on the 50. (im dying to sit on the green monster btw)
Why would they be able to drop the name? It is still the same building

SU2NASA said:
The Silverdome played its first game with the roof half-finished and not even inflated.
thats pretty damn nuts!

Why would they be able to drop the name? It is still the same building
i dont know.

thats one for the lawyers.

if its contingent on being the 'Carrier Dome', but its no longer a Dome, we may have something.

if one modifys their car to have 2 big wheels, its no longer a car...its a motorcycle.

with no Dome, carrier may be out.

dont know if this falls under maxfishers trademark expertise, but lets get somebody on this. it could be worth millions a year.

yeah, the 1aa i suppose could sneak in there.

lets look at this years sched:

nova: @schoelkopf
maryland: @Giants Stadium *close for alumni for both
nd: @Giants Stadium *added for the hell of it
lville: @Giants Stadium *could put at rich, closer i suppose
fla st: @Giants Stadium *seriously? no brainer
nc st: @Rich Stadium *not big enough
duke: @Rich Stadium *not big enough, make em travel and welcome to the weather

Giants stadium no longer exists. Kindly refer to it as "Jetlife" stadium.

Thanks in advance

Can't wait to see renditions when (an if) they come available. Probably have to wait for Corps of Engineers approval--can't have the Fine Lot turn into the base of a waterfall, now can we?

i dont know.

thats one for the lawyers.

if its contingent on being the 'Carrier Dome', but its no longer a Dome, we may have something.

if one modifys their car to have 2 big wheels, its no longer a car...its a motorcycle.

with no Dome, carrier may be out.

dont know if this falls under maxfishers trademark expertise, but lets get somebody on this. it could be worth millions a year.
Was it an exclusive naming rights contract? In perpetuity?

What are the penalties for breach at this point? 34 years later, I wonder if some form of elective default might turn out to be a net positive.

OrangeXtreme said:
Sell naming rights to the new roof. Ernie Davis Field at the Carrier Dome under the Tops Big Top.

I may have mentioned this before, but is there any reason why we couldn't sell naming rights to another company as well and cleverly use the name Carrier in the new name?
If nothing else, it will give us a fun time on this thread.

I'll go first

United States Navy Aircraft Carrier Dome

Was it an exclusive naming rights contract? In perpetuity?

What are the penalties for breach at this point? 34 years later, I wonder if some form of elective default might turn out to be a net positive.
It was not really "naming rights". A gift was made to the university in exchange for the building being named the Carrier Dome. It is like other campus buildings named in honor of the donor as part of the agreement of the donation. So yes, in perpetuity.

http://dailyorange.com/2006/12/name...the-dome-as-others-find-more-lucrative-deals/

I may have mentioned this before, but is there any reason why we couldn't sell naming rights to another company as well and cleverly use the name Carrier in the new name?

I'll go first

It depends on whether the original contract was an exclusive rights deal, which it probably was.

EDIT: or it may not have been a naming rights contract at all!

I'll go first

United States Army Personnel Carrier Dome

personnelcarrier.jpg

The Cycle Country Motorcycle Wedge-Lok Trailer Hitch Carrier Dome

Attachments

• image-2892379611.jpg
    image-2892379611.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 69
Could someone please offer to die in the sweltering heat in the dome with hopes they would be so ashamed that the dome, named after their A/C company, was a sweat box that killed someone that they would give up the name? Or at the least, they may be shamed into installing A/C for free.

Last edited:
Could someone please offer to die in the sweltering heat in the dome with hopes they would be so ashamed that the dome, named after their A/C company, was a sweat box that killed someone? Or at the least, they may be shamed into installing A/C for free.
if anything, we now have a reason to invite grobbycakes back to the Dome.

lets do it in july, ill go pick him up....

Bump
So I just read in the DO that Populous has been retained to do studies and make recommendations for the Dome roof/new venue issue. Chancellor KS said he hopes to have direction by the end of the academic year. Populous is the old HOK Sport division that split off to be an independent firm. Their lack of creativity concerns me, but they are a major player in this field and to now have only been retained as a consult, not designers. They have ties to just about 90% of the stadiums and arenas built nationally in the last 40 years. They did the Cheifs baseball stadium as HOK. They did new Yankee stadium. They did Nationals ballpark. They were a consultant on MetLife. They did (stole) Camden Yards (long SU related story). They touch everything.