Donor Fatigue | Syracusefan.com

Donor Fatigue

SWC75

Bored Historian
Well then … don’t give? Who am I supposed to feel bad for exactly?

I don't think it is sustainable for a number of schools currently playing big time sports. It will be interesting to see where SU ends up, and how rabid the fan base will be to see football match-ups against Duke, Vandy, Wake, Northwestern, and Rutgers.

Anybody else think it's unfair to expect fans to pay for tickets, 'preferred seating', parking, concessions, building funds, scholarships, etc. AND pay the players through NIL while the schools won't pay the players directly?
Yes. The whole idea that NIL is asked of the fans is just stupid, and I don't think any fan should agree to empty their wallet for it. The figures that some of these athletes are commanding are already astronomical and will only continue to create entitled demi-adults.

Schools paying players will only make matters worse, so I'm glad they are not paying. Just don't put it on fans to pony up NIL either. NIL is, and should remain, a business investment only. That was the spirit of NIL, but quickly devolved into something monstrous

NIL, the way it is working right now, is absolutely broken and has crossed the line so much that the line is not even visible anymore

I don't think it is sustainable for a number of schools currently playing big time sports. It will be interesting to see where SU ends up, and how rabid the fan base will be to see football match-ups against Duke, Vandy, Wake, Northwestern, and Rutgers.

If SU were to end up in a national conference of private schools, I would be okay with that.

I'd love to be a conference and division we can actually win. We'd be roadkill in a two conference set up with all the national powers in it.

the interesting unknown is if the NIL real money donation now is more than the hidden money was before?

How long before the NIL donor pool reverts back to just the big money and the casual fans like us get out?

the interesting unknown is if the NIL real money donation now is more than the hidden money was before?

How long before the NIL donor pool reverts back to just the big money and the casual fans like us get out?
Totally agree. As a low level donor I get excited to help the players, but understand my donations mean very little by themselves. I am curious how long the bigger whales will want to engage in this game, especially as the trends within college athletics move in more divisive ways.

Last edited:
Some schools might want to revert NIL to other sports.

Say SU said screw FB.. lets take all the money and use it for soccer. it would probably take far less money/smaller roster and you get a NC?

or take MBB money and put it into WBB. Far less teams to beat in that pool?

I'd love to be a conference and division we can actually win. We'd be roadkill in a two conference set up with all the national powers in it.
Here’s what I’d like to see after the BIG/SEC take the best ACC brands to each get to 20 teams. It’s a blend of ACC leftovers and the Big 12.

NATIONS EAST
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Virginia Tech (VA)
NC State (NC)
Duke (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
UCF (FL)

NATIONS WEST
Kansas (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Houston (TX)
Arizona (AZ)
Arizona St (AZ)
California (CA)
Colorado (CO)
Utah (UT)

BC, Wake, Stanford, SMU
Iowa St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, BYU

True. But this is the path they have chosen. No going back now.
They haven't chosen the employee path quite yet. As gross as the NIL world has already become, I still maintain it's better than the student-athlete as employee world.

Here’s what I’d like to see after the BIG/SEC take the best ACC brands to each get to 20 teams. It’s a blend of ACC leftovers and the Big 12.

NATIONS EAST
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Virginia Tech (VA)
NC State (NC)
Duke (NC)
Georgia Tech (GA)
UCF (FL)

NATIONS WEST
Kansas (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Houston (TX)
Arizona (AZ)
Arizona St (AZ)
California (CA)
Colorado (CO)
Utah (UT)

BC, Wake, Stanford, SMU
Iowa St, Kansas St, Texas Tech, BYU

After the Big10-SEC breaks away, take the next 72 best FB programs and put them in 8 nine team conferences, geographically organized and have the 8 champions play for the national title in the new NCAA division 1.

student employees making $15 an hr for the 20 hrs a week they are working, doesn't add up to much when they have to pay the 75K bill to go to college.

student employees making $15 an hr for the 20 hrs a week they are working, doesn't add up to much when they have to pay the 75K bill to go to college.
that's just beer money

Some schools might want to revert NIL to other sports.

Say SU said screw FB.. lets take all the money and use it for soccer. it would probably take far less money/smaller roster and you get a NC?

or take MBB money and put it into WBB. Far less teams to beat in that pool?

Well sure, but winning the National championship in Soccer doesn’t even come close to paying the money that it does in Football or Basketball

In fact, I bet it cost the SUAD money to win the natty in soccer a year ago.

Well sure, but winning the National championship in Soccer doesn’t even come close to paying the money that it does in Football or Basketball

In fact, I bet it cost the SUAD money to win the natty in soccer a year ago.
Kids didn’t work any less than many other sports though to earn that honor.

Kids didn’t work any less than many other sports though to earn that honor.

That’s not the point I’m making.

He’s saying some schools may change where they put their money and might spend it on soccer to win a national championship.

I’m saying that’s not going to happen because it’s not as big of advantage for the school.

Trust me, I support and attend soccer games as much as possible. I give $$$ to the program. I completely understand how hard they work

They haven't chosen the employee path quite yet. As gross as the NIL world has already become, I still maintain it's better than the student-athlete as employee world.
My opinion is that boulder has cleared the top of the hill. It’s all about momentum now. Employee status; Union; salary caps; corporate underwriting; relaxed (or abandoned) academic standards; and yes, strikes. Most of all, perhaps, the loss of the college identity, which will exist only in name.