Donor Fatigue | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Donor Fatigue

Have you seen one report on a player? From a school?
So you believe if a Syracuse football player discloses their NIL contract to Syracuse University that the University should post this contract for public consumption? On what legal basis would you have to do this?

So you believe if a Syracuse football player discloses their NIL contract to Syracuse University that the University should post this contract for public consumption? On what legal basis would you have to do this?
Let’s go one item at a time. Have you seen even one?

Let’s go one item at a time. Have you seen even one?
Why would I?

Have you or I seen Jim Boeheim's (or Adrian Autry, I guess now) Nike contract?

And since I didn't, you want me to assume it doesn't exist?

Agree. The law says the athlete has to disclose them to the school, not that the school has to make them public.

If SU were to end up in a national conference of private schools, I would be okay with that.
Yes. Or an northeast coast football conference. It’s where cuse belongs.

I have said it a million times, but I’ll repeat myself.

I want to know PRECISELY what a kid is doing (services, appearances, commercials, photo ops, autographs, whatever) to earn NIL monies. I think they should have to report it to their schools and the NCAA.

With the amount of money on the the line that these schools are competing for, I want to know what the going rate is for an autograph session, etc. Right now there is zero accountability. None.
Why is it anyone’s business? It’s not. The only people who are entitled to know is the IRS.

Yeah make softball field hockey W lax club sports no one will notice and cut them in on the TV money. NCAA can’t investigate NIL.

The only way to make a fair system is to have rules.

The NCAA made rules.

Schools chose to abide by them (mostly)

people wanted more and revolted.
Television wanted more

Why would I?

Have you or I seen Jim Boeheim's (or Adrian Autry, I guess now) Nike contract?

And since I didn't, you want me to assume it doesn't exist?
I’m not talking about SU specifically. I’m talking about anyone, at any university, under any NIL arrangement.

Why is it anyone’s business? It’s not. The only people who are entitled to know is the IRS.
Corruption. Pay to play. I’m not alone in making that accusation. I don’t think I’m wrong.

I’m not talking about SU specifically. I’m talking about anyone, at any university, under any NIL arrangement.
No I’ve never seen a specific shoe deal from any coach either. i don’t know why I should have access anymore than I would your salary.

No I’ve never seen a specific shoe deal from any coach either. i don’t know why I should have access anymore than I would your salary.
And it sounds like you don’t want to know.
What I’m saying…. Which seems to be getting lost… is that I do want to know. Otherwise college sports cease to exist. If any amount of money can be thrown at a player in a pay for play setup, it’s gone. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say, kids can get money from NIL collectives without accountability, but at the same time say they can’t get paid to play. I want to know which it is.

77833A28-2866-4782-A051-5BB598515F08.gif

And it sounds like you don’t want to know.
What I’m saying…. Which seems to be getting lost… is that I do want to know. Otherwise college sports cease to exist. If any amount of money can be thrown at a player in a pay for play setup, it’s gone. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say, kids can get money from NIL collectives without accountability, but at the same time say they can’t get paid to play. I want to know which it is.

View attachment 238684
Whether I want to know or not is irrelevant.

There’s lots of things I WANT but can’t have, I’m surprised you don’t understand basic rule of law.

If you are a member of a collective, there is an argument that you should know what the deals that the collective has with each player. Because that is the distribution of your money. But the general public has zero business knowing what student athletes make in NIL, otherwise.

Obviously, the logic changes once the players are made employees and paid by the schools/leagues. Especially at public institutions.

Last edited:
Whether I want to know or not is irrelevant.

There’s lots of things I WANT but can’t have, I’m surprised you don’t understand basic rule of law.
There are many things I don’t understand. The older I get, the more I understand there are more things I don’t understand.

I want to know PRECISELY what a kid is doing (services, appearances, commercials, photo ops, autographs, whatever) to earn NIL monies. I think they should have to report it to their schools and the NCAA.

With the amount of money on the the line that these schools are competing for, I want to know what the going rate is for an autograph session, etc. Right now there is zero accountability. None.
I think what the kid is doing is playing the sport we asked him to come play. For me the phoniness of having the athlete do something to "earn" the NIL is comedy. They are getting paid to play their sport of choice.

Well sure, but winning the National championship in Soccer doesn’t even come close to paying the money that it does in Football or Basketball

In fact, I bet it cost the SUAD money to win the natty in soccer a year ago.
Very safe bet. And it’s funded mostly by football money

I can answer for SyraCRUZ as part of Fine Mess NIL, but you’re probably looking for bigger fish.

Exactly. Wasn't NIL created to "share" the TV revenue? Passing the problem on to donors can't long term move, there has to be donor fatigue at some point, especially in programs that don't perform up to expectations.
No, it wasn’t. It was created to give the student athletes the ability to capitalize on their name, image and likeness, just like anyone else. Public appearances, signings, advertising. It’s been bastardized as pay for play and the rationale has been that the schools and coaches are making all this money so we shouldn’t begrudge the players. I’m

No, it wasn’t. It was created to give the student athletes the ability to capitalize on their name, image and likeness, just like anyone else. Public appearances, signings, advertising. It’s been bastardized as pay for play and the rationale has been that the schools and coaches are making all this money so we shouldn’t begrudge the players. I’m

Theoretical vs. actual. And, the reality is, many folks knew exactly how this would play out. NIL is a facade behind the actual; pay for play. Calling it NIL is comical, not to mention somewhat insulting.

I mean, how does a 17 year old high school kid getting hundreds of thousands, reportedly even more in some instances, that has never even yet stepped on campus, therefore, yet to produce in any fashion, etc. have legit NIL?

Take Carmelo Anthony for example, other than us diehards here, or those who intently followed recruiting, most of SU's faithful hadn't a clue/heard of Carmelo (except for a candy bar) prior to getting on campus, other than perhaps, hey, heard we got this highly rated frosh this year...or along those lines. It wasn't until after he got to campus, played in games, produced, and TRULY MADE A NAME FOR HIMSELF, before he established legit NIL. He is just one of numerous that fall into this category, whether hoops or on the gridiron.

Therefore, just call NIL for what it is; pay for play.

Last edited:
I pay 20 bucks a month for Netflix or whatever so if the value of the entertainment supplied by Syracuse sports is equal to what I'm willing to pay for NIL. I have no prob with it. Win or Lose.

Much like certain TV shows or sports (UFC for example for me), if it becomes not fun to follow, I don't stomp my feet and complain, I just stop watching.
I agree with your point about value.

Whats so bizarre about NIL is that, to further your example about Netflix, this system is like asking viewers to fund the salary of name actors so that Netflix’s original movie is of higher quality.

That’d be so incredibly weird, right? Why wouldn’t Netflix pay actors directly using their own revenue?

And yet, here we are with NIL, and fans are paying athletes to play for their favorite school.

Whats so bizarre about NIL is that, to further your example about Netflix, this system is like asking viewers to fund the salary of name actors so that Netflix’s original movie is of higher quality.

That’d be so incredibly weird, right? Why wouldn’t Netflix pay actors directly using their own revenue?

And yet, here we are with NIL, and fans are paying athletes to play for their favorite school.

Yeah. I have said this in another NIL related thread; imagine running/owning a multi-million dollar business where you, rather incredulously, get your customers to 'buy in' to paying for your employee's raises, promotions, cost of doing business, etc. And, just as miraculous, keep all of the financial proceeds to you, yourself and I.

Now, that's truly a wonderful world to live in.

Good point!

I will say there have been kickstarters for musicians for example where you could pay for them to produce a new CD. I think the last super troopers was like that. So it’s not unprecedented but yeah, it’s weird

Edit: yeah super troopers 2 used indiegogo

Last edited:
Yup, I was wrong on the why. I don't begrudge the players one dime. They should get paid, probably more than they do. The schools want full benefit with as little risk as possible. I don't blame them either, but they created this system and the problem and until NIL happened they were content.

How these kids are not considered employees or at least 1099s is beyond me. I don't buy scholarships as remunerative, D1athletes have full time jobs regardless of the sport and should be compensated by the school as w2 or 1099 income. Create a revenue share on TV dollars, stop the hypocrisy, and stop bilking donors.

Yup, I was wrong on the why. I don't begrudge the players one dime. They should get paid, probably more than they do. The schools want full benefit with as little risk as possible. I don't blame them either, but they created this system and the problem and until NIL happened they were content.

How these kids are not considered employees or at least 1099s is beyond me. I don't buy scholarships as remunerative, D1athletes have full time jobs regardless of the sport and should be compensated by the school as w2 or 1099 income. Create a revenue share on TV dollars, stop the hypocrisy, and stop bilking donors.
Again, if the schools pay the athletes, revenue will need to increase or costs elsewhere will need to be cut. Right, wrong or indifferent additional cost of compensation for athletes have to be offset somewhere in the budget.