Donor Fatigue | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Donor Fatigue

Again, if the schools pay the athletes, revenue will need to increase or costs elsewhere will need to be cut. Right, wrong or indifferent additional cost of compensation for athletes have to be offset somewhere in the budget.
And if it weren't for the athletes, there would be no TV money and schools would have to cut spending from current levels.

Schools don't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem.

And if it weren't for the athletes, there would be no TV money and schools would have to cut spending from current levels.

Yep, They had one in the "facility war" days where the begged for donors as well as mentioned in the article

“The old adage in fundraising is to say: ‘Coach what do you need, how can I help you?’ It used to be, ‘I need a new locker room’ or something like that. Now, 90 percent, if not 100 percent, of coaches are going to say, ‘I need NIL money
.’”

Pay money and see a nice shiny building = good
Pay money and see some athlete with a shiny new car = bad

Well, of course. If they want more sports than football and, in a few cases, men’s basketball.

SU AD is not sitting on piles of money, nor do they spend extravagantly. What would be a reasonable salary pool for over 600 student athletes? And if that money doesn’t come from corporate, small company and individual donors, what expenses should be cut or what charges to season ticket holders should be raised?

So we ignore the fact that 95% of the athletes generate none of the money? Do they get paid as well?

Do we pay the 50% of the fball team that doesnt play or bball team of lax team?

Also scholies existed long before TV money did..

Good point!

I will say there have been kickstarters for musicians for example where you could pay for them to produce a new CD. I think the last super troopers was like that. So it’s not unprecedented but yeah, it’s weird

Edit: yeah super troopers 2 used indiegogo

For sure. Of course those are circumstances where an artist can’t get funding through the traditional system and needs to turn to their fans to do it.

NIL is so utterly screwed up though. The idea that *I’m* supposed to pay the players, not the school that is receiving $40+ million a year in media rights money, is so utterly f—-ed up.

The best comparison is to pro sports fans who also pay for tickets, parking, concessions, etc. and watch or stream the telecasts and wind up buying the products advertised but are not expected to directly pay the player's salaries. But college fans are.

Well, of course. If they want more sports than football and, in a few cases, men’s basketball.

SU AD is not sitting on piles of money, nor do they spend extravagantly. What would be a reasonable salary pool for over 600 student athletes? And if that money doesn’t come from corporate, small company and individual donors, what expenses should be cut or what charges to season ticket holders should be raised?
I have no idea where they should cut or how a rev share should be configured. If I had a business and 1% of my employees were generating 95% of my revenue, I'd pay them first.

If they can't make payroll in general administrative, they can either cut expenses or generate more revenue. Building a business that relies on your rich uncle to fund it can only last so long.

Pandora's box has been opened and there's no closing it.

I agree with your point about value.

Whats so bizarre about NIL is that, to further your example about Netflix, this system is like asking viewers to fund the salary of name actors so that Netflix’s original movie is of higher quality.

That’d be so incredibly weird, right? Why wouldn’t Netflix pay actors directly using their own revenue?

And yet, here we are with NIL, and fans are paying athletes to play for their favorite school.
Wonderful analogy.

For me, i'll never (and i rarely say never) give to a collective, NIL, etc. It's foolish fans are underwriting a billion dollar business. It's beyond ridiculous actually. I want the end to come as soon as possible so that the players can unionize, collectively bargain w these schools, figure out a way to divide the tv money btw universities and players and go from there. To ask alum to donate to the school AND kids to be free safeties? preposterous. I donate to the university and the programs within it.

This is all going to fall apart. Saban said many of the quiet parts out loud. whether you think he's disengenous or not, if Alabama is losing their coach because of it, changes are coming.

SU AD is not sitting on piles of money, nor do they spend extravagantly.
I'm sure there's no visible Scrooge McDuck vault of gold coins. College AD's and parent universities model their accounting practices just like pro sports and the film industry does and how the music industry did (less so now in a digital marketplace):
Well, after we pay for the coaches, administrators, directors, VPs, staff, pay the school the "market" cost of tuition, room and board, and meals, marketing, facilities construction and maintenance, gameday staff and support, and ... well, we're just plum broke.
Can we see the books?​
No.
If they weren't making money, they wouldn't be doing it.

I don't like NIL, and the pressure for me to make up the need. I suppose the university can use my money any way it sees fit, and can raise prices to what the market will bear. I still believe the scholarship equals renumeration. However, I have always wished the scholarship was a lifetime offering. Play now, learn when you are ready, fully comped.

This dummy is a living example of the catastrophic impact of CTE.

Shut up, Rob. Seriously.
He found a way to build a wealth management business on the back of some hook up by the state of florida investment fund. Someone explained it to me and was actually surprised how he was able to leverage it.

But yeah he's tapped at this point.

Why should fans foot the bill for NIL? These schools don't make enough money already from tv deals? It's not like you're getting any return for your bucks when your team always sucks. You're basically paying for disappointment year after year. When your team doesn't win, well, it's your fault for not giving enough. You're a mark, nothing more. The rich and entitled have ruined college football and convinced you to pay for it.

The best comparison is to pro sports fans who also pay for tickets, parking, concessions, etc. and watch or stream the telecasts and wind up buying the products advertised but are not expected to directly pay the player's salaries. But college fans are.
I agree, the people who collect the revenue should be paying players, not the fans.

Frankly the most likely outcome is that the schools pay the players and non revenue sports become club only. Not sure that’s a bad thing. I’m sure some will object but not sure what a competitive field hockey team brings to the overall college experience other than to field hockey players.

Frankly the most likely outcome is that the schools pay the players and non revenue sports become club only. Not sure that’s a bad thing. I’m sure some will object but not sure what a competitive field hockey team brings to the overall college experience other than to field hockey players.
I think that's what is going to happen. They'll have to navigate title IX of course but after that good night to everything else. ESPN will be televising fraternity basketball games and club sports.

Student recruitment, things like that.

Being in this conference doesn't hurt when SU wants kids from high growth and wealth areas like Virginia, NC, etc. The parents actually watch some of those sports on ACCN.

While fb and bb drive the bus.. The bus with much less to show doesnt bring in TV money either.

You remove all the baseball/lax/gymanstics etc and ESPN has a ton of time to fill. They wont be paying big bucks to conferences for dead air?

Not popular but if it was necessary to save football and basketball I'd cut all non-revenue sports. There are hundreds of other schooling options out there for soccer athletes looking for a scholarship. The AD needs to run this thing like a business not the rescue mission. I don't care one iota that we won a national title in soccer. Others don't care, either, or else where's the soccer forum? Where's the women's volleyball forum?

Last edited:
Not popular but if it was necessary to save football and basketball I'd cut all non-revenue sports. There are hundreds of other schooling options out there for soccer athletes looking for a scholarship. The AD needs to run this thing like a business not the rescue mission. I don't care one iota that we won a national title in soccer. And frankly, not many others care either compared to the revenue sports.

You must participate in a minimum number of men's and women's sports to maintain your ACC membership.

Or any conference membership for that matter.

You must participate in a minimum number of men's and women's sports to maintain your ACC membership.

Or any conference membership for that matter.
Does this require scholarships or can these athletes walk on? I presume it's the former.