Don't Care Who Transfers, or How Many Recruits We Lose | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Don't Care Who Transfers, or How Many Recruits We Lose

Harsin is a Boise alum. He played football for Boise. Harsin was Petersen’s offensive coordinator for five of his eight seasons as head coach (2006-10). He inherited a winning program from Petersen. Maybe it was his dream job. ;)
Yeah probably wasn't an incredibly hard sell. Arkansas state < Boise

Yeah probably wasn't an incredibly hard sell. Arkansas state < Boise
Hard sell... he probably jumped at the opportunity. And not a very hard choice for Boise/Coyle either. If your program is already winning for years and your recruiting is already at a high level a new coach is probably not going to have a lot of difficulty succeeding. He inherited an established program.

Hard sell... he probably jumped at the opportunity. And not a very hard choice for Boise/Coyle either. If your program is already winning for years and your recruiting is already at a high level a new coach is probably not going to have a lot of difficulty succeeding. He inherited an established program.
Exactly. Need a program refresher here, not a plug and play guy.

Ok but none of those coaches were big names in their sports before they came to su. They were young unknowns. He had a feel for those hires that he did not have in football. Granted they are on a smaller scale, but each have taken their teams to the top. In the case of x country and soccer for the first time ever in school history.

Some of them, (Luke Jensen and Gary Gait) were very well known. Offering above market salaries for positions usually helps unearth talented people who are on the rise but might not be at the pinnacle of their profession.

Edit - my point is that I don't think TGD had a feel for anything - he simply threw cash at his objectives to achieve his bonus.

Some of them, (Luke Jensen and Gary Gait) were very well known. Offering above market salaries for positions usually helps unearth talented people who are on the rise but might not be at the pinnacle of their profession.

Edit - my point is that I don't think TGD had a feel for anything - he simply threw cash at his objectives to achieve his bonus.
I forgot about Gary Gait. Yes he def threw money at him and Luke Jensen too which was a terrible hire. Gary's been good but needs to win a championship.

I'm kinda with ya on this. Nonetheless I'm ok to not have TGD in charge anymore

Bayside44 said:
Our hoops coach I am sure could...

Nah

jr4750 said:
I forgot about Gary Gait. Yes he def threw money at him and Luke Jensen too which was a terrible hire. Gary's been good but needs to win a championship.

I'm kinda with ya on this. Nonetheless I'm ok to not have TGD in charge anymore

Ange Bradley has been pretty great. Hopefully she takes home our 6th ACC championship this afternoon and goes into the NCAA undefeated.

Nah
Our hoops coach would turn down a 5 star recruit, under the same situation, where he hasn't been able to get a 5 star recruit, because of what transpired with Clark? No way. The Pitt coach was able to see fit to take him.

dasher said:
Our hoops coach would turn down a 5 star recruit, under the same situation, where he hasn't been able to get a 5 star recruit, because of what transpired with Clark? No way. The Pitt coach was able to see fit to take him.

Yes. You must not know the demands. And if Pitt is taking him he and family must have realized the errors of their ways after having our offer pulled.

Yes. You must not know the demands. And if Pitt is taking him he and family must have realized the errors of their ways after having our offer pulled.
I know 100% of the demands. And I know how you respond to them. If he wants to flip after you turn him down, I have no problem with that. But to pull just pull the offer. I disagree completely with that. And if they realized the errors of their way after we pulled our offer, it just says to me, if we handled it better, they would have seen it while still being committed to us.

dasher said:
I know 100% of the demands. And I know how you respond to them. If he wants to flip after you turn him down, I have no problem with that. But to pull just pull the offer. I disagree completely with that. And if they realized the errors of their way after we pulled our offer, it just says to me, if we handled it better, they would have seen it while still being committed to us.

Doubtful.

Doubtful.
You might be right. But I come from a back ground of sales. And you don't walk away from a big sale. You make the other guy walk away. You stay firm but make your case. It seems that SS is willing to walk away rather quickly. And we can't afford that at this time.

dasher said:
You might be right. But I come from a back ground of sales. And you don't walk away from a big sale. You make the other guy walk away. You stay firm but make your case. It seems that SS is willing to walk away rather quickly. And we can't afford that at this time.

Well it took a lot of sales and not walking away to get to the point of offering and accepting his commitment. Then after the fact a lot, a whole lot, changed. With it being almost 2 years before he even plays in a game...nah the headache wasn't worth it. It's easy to just say no to demands. But then what's next? What's the impact on the team? We made the right decision. Now he's someone else's headache if he even sticks with that.

Well it took a lot of sales and not walking away to get to the point of offering and accepting his commitment. Then after the fact a lot, a whole lot, changed. With it being almost 2 years before he even plays in a game...nah the headache wasn't worth it. It's easy to just say no to demands. But then what's next? What's the impact on the team? We made the right decision. Now he's someone else's headache if he even sticks with that.
I understand your point of view. But talent is often more trouble. It just is. The question I ask is , do we want to win? Now, if it was legal trouble, different story. I walk. But ridiculous demands. the answer is no. Can't do that. And he has to be on his best behavior once he is here because his next stop is his last stop.

Im sorry
this^^^^^ im not sure why people don't understand. Is he an upgrade in talent? Yes, But is it worth creating a negative culture, and crossing moral and ethical boundaries. It is not. I'm for winning the right way.

We're likely getting a coordinator from a P5 program.

That's who we get.

This year's hotshot coaches are going to bigger programs.
No thanks on the coordinator, we have had 2 of those already and they haven't worked out.

College HC at the D1 level, period.

If they aren't going to go that route, don't fire Shafer. No more learning on the job.

CuseOnly said:
No thanks on the coordinator, we have had 2 of those already and they haven't worked out. College HC at the D1 level, period. If they aren't going to go that route, don't fire Shafer. No more learning on the job.

Check with Millhouse and others. They seem to be okay with the coordinator route.

No thanks on the coordinator, we have had 2 of those already and they haven't worked out.

College HC at the D1 level, period.

If they aren't going to go that route, don't fire Shafer. No more learning on the job.
I insist on letting the perfect be the enemy of the good which works out great for the luckiest coaching staff on earth

Millhouse said:
I insist on letting the perfect be the enemy of the good which works out great for the luckiest coaching staff on earth

Goodness, man. Fights over! Stop punching.