Doug Marrone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Were the people who called him a jerk at Manley angry that he had the fieldhouse turned into a football practice facility ? I mean , it was their private fiefdom and then he comes along and changes everything . That sounds about right to me .
You seem like nice enough person but the battles that you choose to initiate are bizarre. In this case, defending the indefensible.

Like death and taxes, it's a given that former HCDM is a paranoid, narcissistic jackass that left the program in a very unprofessional manner. He did a decent job while he was here but, IMO, the way he left will ultimately become his legacy.

That is what kind of guy gets things done in those situations .
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's a management style, that can be effective, but usually only in the short term, because it grows old very fast with subordinates and drives away good people. Don't confuse being a hard-a55 with being a firm but fair leader with high expectations.

I think this thread about sums up who you are actually a fan of.
I am without excuse a fan of Syracuse alumni and many times more so of any guy that has played for the Orange . There still would not be a IPF if Doug had't thrown a fit about it . And a coach of the Quality of Baber's would never have considered this job if he had to practice in Manley .

I don't care if DM is Satan himself, the dude won games and saved this program. If we hired another Gerg instead of DM, we might not be where we are today. We might not even be in the ACC, who knows.
Dino is a better coach for us, but I'm a fan of DM, not matter what others think of him.

Besides, who says your coach has to be likeable. Aren't we in this for the wins? So far, he has won more games and been more successful than anybody since PP and that includes Dino since he has only coached 8 games.
You think Michigan fans care that JH is a giant (fill in the blank)?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's a management style, that can be effective, but usually only in the short term, because it grows old very fast with subordinates and drives away good people. Don't confuse being a . . . . . hard-a55 with being a firm but fair leader with high expectations.
Being a college football coach is a public job . The only bottom line Joe public cares about is wins and loses . The Greg dumpster fire needed harsh action to change the culture in order to start winning .

FWIW - First and foremost I was as big of a Doug Marrone fan as we had. Still will never question his football coaching ability... But... I've heard nothing but negative things since he left about the way that he treated people. People in the media, people at the University, people on his staff. DM may be a great coach, but, he does not leave anywhere with a large group of friends.

If Harbaugh's coaching career was effected by his inability to get along with people and as a result he has left and/or quit coaching jobs - including leaving Michigan before tasting the Top 25 - then yes they would.
I think this is a very important note. DM left Syracuse when his value was at its' highest. He left the Bills bc his ego told him he would do better elsewhere. He's not had another opportunity since.

His career has ultimately been effected negatively by his attitude/ego.

FWIW - First and foremost I was as big of a Doug Marrone fan as we had. Still will never question his football coaching ability... But... I've heard nothing but negative things since he left about the way that he treated people. People in the media, people at the University, people on his staff. DM may be a great coach, but, he does not leave anywhere with a large group of friends.
Doug played on the o-line and you usually aren't a good o-linemen unless your a mean SOB. Plus he grew up in the Bronx . Yeah , he should be handing out flowers to people in his spare time .:p

I don't care if DM is Satan himself, the dude won games and saved this program. If we hired another Gerg instead of DM, we might not be where we are today. We might not even be in the ACC, who knows.
Dino is a better coach for us, but I'm a fan of DM, not matter what others think of him.

Besides, who says your coach has to be likeable. Aren't we in this for the wins? So far, he has won more games and been more successful than anybody since PP and that includes Dino since he has only coached 8 games.
You think Michigan fans care that JH is a giant (fill in the blank)?

Yeah - but in this case we have something to compare against. Babers is a better HC and from what we can tell, better with people.

So given the choice? I'd take the guy without the grumpiness/arsehole issues.

I am without excuse a fan of Syracuse alumni and many times more so of any guy that has played for the Orange . There still would not be a IPF if Doug had't thrown a fit about it . And a coach of the Quality of Baber's would never have considered this job if he had to practice in Manley .

You don't think it would have happened at all?

Doug played on the o-line and you usually aren't a good o-linemen unless your a mean SOB. Plus he grew up in the Bronx . Yeah , he should be handing out flowers to people in his spare time .:p
I get it, there's a place for it. Just because you come from the Bronx and play OL doesn't give you a pass to be an @ $ $.

You don't think it would have happened at all?
He begged and pleaded with people , but somehow they couldn't get it done until after he left . It was something that was needed 20 years ago .

so Shad is going to fire someone to hire a quitter??

yeah right.

what is jax's biggest problem...offense.

so lets hire a guy from the offense to fix...the offense.

a guy on offense whos not calling the plays, not coordinating the effort and whose unit cant block for either the run or pass game.

who again...QUIT, as a HC.

yeah, that's the ticket...

Being a college football coach is a public job . The only bottom line Joe public cares about is wins and loses . The Greg dumpster fire needed harsh action to change the culture in order to start winning .
And guess what, it was short term. I have seen messes in the business world and military be turned around by firm but fair managers who didn't feel the need to alienate good people. But, if you say it has to be a special type of douche to turn things around in college football, who am I to argue?

so Shad is going to fire someone to hire a quitter??

yeah right.

what is jax's biggest problem...offense.

so lets hire a guy from the offense to fix...the offense.

a guy on offense whos not calling the plays, not coordinating the effort and whose unit cant block for either the run or pass game.

who again...QUIT, as a HC.

yeah, that's the ticket...

Cue Mrs. Marrone in 3... 2...

He begged and pleaded with people , but somehow they couldn't get it done until after he left . It was something that was needed 20 years ago .

Exactly. He didn't make it happen. It would have gotten done eventually anyways. I'd look more closely at what changed that very same year (ACC $$$).

He added some urgency, maybe. But it was a known need long before he got here.

People are most mad at him because he left .

I don't buy that--most people don't begrudge him for leaving for an NFL job.

What they're upset about is that he decimated the existing staff on the way out the door, which put his alma mater in a bad position to sustain the success he'd had.

What they're upset about is that he decimated the existing staff on the way out the door, which put his alma mater in a bad position to sustain the success he'd had.
Maybe I'm mistaken about this but I had heard that he asked for raises for his staff and was told no . So he then took this staff to Buffalo and gave them raises anyways . SS and Bullough stayed and moved up and got a raise as well .:noidea:

Don't forget all the crowing about doing the impossible and getting Syracuse back on the map (which is hugely debatable given the state of our recruiting, the weird losses in his final year with what should have been a top 25 team).

He did good work here and did do a lot to get us out of the Gerg nightmare - but cmon

Maybe I'm mistaken about this but I had heard that he asked for raises for his staff and was told no . So he then took this staff to Buffalo and gave them raises anyways . SS and Bullough stayed and moved up and got a raise as well .:noidea:

Bullough was brought in by Shafer.

The reasons why he left were many - but ultimately it was on of 32 NFL HC jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom