Doug Marrone | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

I am without excuse a fan of Syracuse alumni and many times more so of any guy that has played for the Orange . There still would not be a IPF if Doug had't thrown a fit about it . And a coach of the Quality of Baber's would never have considered this job if he had to practice in Manley .
Wrong.

Wasn't mad at him for leaving Syracuse to go to one of the best 30 jobs in football coaching profession.

Was mad at him as a Bills fan for taking the money and running as fast as he could.

And ultimately, I think his ceiling as a head coach at the collegiate level was going to be lower than what Babers' is - so we win out in this scenario, IMO. But I don't harbor any ill will toward the guy.

Just don't really understand what his motives were in making the move from the Bills. Ego, maybe? His agent telling him he was going to get a job if he left and thought he was more marketable than what he actually was? Who knows.

You really think that the Bills job is better than 2 other NFL jobs? ;)

People are most mad at him because "OF HOW" he left. People could have been sad otherwise. Spilled milk regardless, over and done with, onward and upward etc
put me in the camp who doesn't care that marrone left.

it was a NFL job...you take that.

what sucks is that the good doctor was caught completely flat-footed and dumbfounded.

an AD should ALWAYS have a list of potential candidates ready, he didn't.

his list was Hackett or SS.

in other words, he thought there was 2 more BCS ready HCs on staff during a season which got us all the way to the Pinstripe.

nuts.

F4 teams aren't feeding 2 per year.

waste of 3 years...

what sucks is that the good doctor was caught completely flat-footed and dumbfounded.

in other words, he thought there was 2 more BCS ready HCs on staff during a season which got us all the way to the Pinstripe.

nuts.

waste of 3 years...
This is it. Marrone leaving should not have surprised Dr.Gross. Many people on here said he was upfront he was going to pursue NFL jobs.

Dr. Gross cheaped out at the most important transition in Syracuse football when we were going from a Mid-Major Conference schedule to an entire P5 level conference schedule and went with the cheap DC.

We got what we paid for though. He was the lowest paid ACC HC and we probably had the lowest budget staff as well and looked what happened.

Wow cannot believe any discussion on this Board elicits such a debate of how much people hate or like D Marrone (kinda like our Presidential election) and there seems to be no middle ground.

First, I was a big fan of FHCDM - these arguments have be vetted so many times but I'll say, no repeat this many times, DM was not DGs first choice but the committee overruled him because DG could not afford to make another mistake again in hiring the wrong FB coach. The entire demise of the football program by the way rests on DGs shoulders. DG & DM, after about 1 month, the relationship went south and never was good.

Doug was promised a lot of things and even in year one he proposed the IPF as it was used against us in recruiting but got no help in fundraising (I saw the plans of the current IPF after year one in Dougs office). Admins argued back and forth with me that fundraising was the job of a HC and I argued it was the job of the AD & SU to provide the resources for the coaching staff - SU & Gross had it a$$ backwards. Admins probably wanted me off the forum at that time.

Now what DM is - is a very "stubborn man" that didn't know how to work the system. Most people (and those still up at SUAD who were around then) didn't like him because he roused lots of angst with SUAD & the BoT over resources to at least get us on the same level as others in this football wasteland at SU at the time. Most SUAD staff sided with DG because they have "no skin in the game to win games" so I take comments about how people feel about him at SUAD with a grain of salt because they mostly have cushy office jobs.

After 4 years of banging his head against the wall on the IPF and recognizing that SUAD & BoT were not going to lift a finger, he left for the Bills where football resource support is a 24x7 job #1. He was loud and clear on this when he left.

Amazing wasn't it that the very next thing that SU did under Sevyrud was what? Build an IPF. Surprised the Admins when I leaked that first way back when and even Shafer was surprised too. We can thank Doug's ticking off everyone for this - he was an SOB when it came to getting resources allocated to the FB program. Moving to the ACC, and by the way Gross was surprised he got the call as he was trying to get us in the BiG, Jim B and previous expansion not Gross had more to do with it anyway.

So fast forward to today where we have very competitive football facilities along with a Dome renovation soon to be announced. We have a new FB coach that loves the college scene (Doug disliked/hated recruiting) and is a proven winner and media darling. Let's let the Doug Marrone era end and let's enjoy the new era under DFB! Go Orange!

Last edited:

nuts.

waste of 3 years...

Were there many options? Marrone left very late. Look at who got hired the year after Shafer. Wasn't a good class of HCs. Maybe TGD could have taken a chance on Clawson. I think had ND not made it to the NCG, Diaco would have had a chance as well. I am sure TGD wanted to move fast because of the recruiting class. Waiting for a few weeks would have left SU without any recruits.

Who else? Maybe guys like Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell but they were reaches at the time. I think the timing of Marrone leaving and the lack of a quality pool of coaches got us stuck with Shafer. Although at the time I thought Hackett was a better choice. Shafer wasn't going anywhere. Hackett as an OC likely leaves first chance, even if not taken by Marrone.

Were there many options? Marrone left very late. Look at who got hired the year after Shafer. Wasn't a good class of HCs. Maybe TGD could have taken a chance on Clawson. I think had ND not made it to the NCG, Diaco would have had a chance as well. I am sure TGD wanted to move fast because of the recruiting class. Waiting for a few weeks would have left SU without any recruits.

Who else? Maybe guys like Lincoln Riley or Matt Campbell but they were reaches at the time. I think the timing of Marrone leaving and the lack of a quality pool of coaches got us stuck with Shafer. Although at the time I thought Hackett was a better choice. Shafer wasn't going anywhere. Hackett as an OC likely leaves first chance, even if not taken by Marrone.
I brought up the names Tom Herman and Chad Morris at that time. He was still Ohio State's OC and Clemson's oc. We should have gone offense. We could have gotten Herman or Morris if we went thru an actual search instead of just giving it to Shafer.

Wow cannot believe any discussion on this Board elicits such a debate of how much people hate or like D Marrone (kinda like our Presidential election) and there seems to be no middle ground.

First, I was a big fan of FHCDM - these arguments have be vetted so many times but I'll say, no repeat this many times, DM was not DGs first choice but the committee overruled him because DG could not afford to make another mistake again in hiring the wrong FB coach. The entire demise of the football program by the way rests on DGs shoulders. DG & DM, after about 1 month, the relationship went south and never was good.

Doug was promised a lot of things and even in year one he proposed the IPF as it was used against us in recruiting but got no help in fundraising (I saw the plans of the current IPF after year one in Dougs office). Admins argued back and forth with me that fundraising was the job of a HC and I argued it was the job of the AD & SU to provide the resources for the coaching staff - SU & Gross had it a$$ backwards. Admins probably wanted me off the forum at that time.

Now what DM is - is a very "stubborn man" that didn't know how to work the system. Most people (and those still up at SUAD who were around then) didn't like him because he roused lots of angst with SUAD & the BoT over resources to at least get us on the same level as others in this football wasteland at SU at the time. Most SUAD staff sided with DG because they have "no skin in the game to win games" so I take comments about how people feel about him at SUAD with a grain of salt because they mostly have cushy office jobs.

After 4 years of banging his head against the wall on the IPF and recognizing that SUAD & BoT were not going to lift a finger, he left for the Bills where football resource support is a 24x7 job #1. He was loud and clear on this when he left.

Amazing wasn't it that the very next thing that SU did under Sevyrud was what? Build an IPF. Surprised the Admins when I leaked that first way back when and even Shafer was surprised too. We can thank Doug's ticking off everyone for this - he was an SOB when it came to getting resources allocated to the FB program. Moving to the ACC, and by the way Gross was surprised he got the call as he was trying to get us in the BiG, Jim B and previous expansion not Gross had more to do with it anyway.

So fast forward to today where we have very competitive football facilities along with a Dome renovation soon to be announced. We have a new FB coach that loves the college scene (Doug disliked/hated recruiting) and is a proven winner and media darling. Let's let the Doug Marrone era end and let's enjoy the new era under DFB! Go Orange!

It is CFB the job of a HC isn't limited to just Xs and Os. They are the face of the program and need to be involved in EVERYTHING.

I brought up the names Tom Herman and Chad Morris at that time. He was still Ohio State's OC and Clemson's oc. We should have gone offense. We could have gotten Herman or Morris if we went thru an actual search instead of just giving it to Shafer.

The way Herman has gone about his career, I think he turns down SU. I think Morris would have been an option. But up until last week I think he was doing poorly at SMU. He is still TBD as a HC.

The way Herman has gone about his career, I think he turns down SU. I think Morris would have been an option. But up until last week I think he was doing poorly at SMU. He is still TBD as a HC.
We could gotten Herman in 2013. He doesn't stay though. We wouldn't pay him what the Houston boosters did after he got the job and did what he did year 1.

Morris would have been an interesting hire. He fixes the offense for sure and since our D isn't any special it just means a lot of shootouts in the Dome.

My point was that we had options after Marrone left and Dr. Gross only considered Shafer and Hackett as the replacement was hired a week after Marrone left. Mind you I had no problem Marrone left he left for a freaking NFL job. He got a huge promotion. He didn't take another college job.

Exactly. He didn't make it happen. It would have gotten done eventually anyways. I'd look more closely at what changed that very same year (ACC $$$).

He added some urgency, maybe. But it was a known need long before he got here.

I was always under the impression that Marrone was promised better facilities when he was hired. The university dragged their feet and that was a big part of why he left.

Marrone leaving wasn't all on Marrone necessarily. There were reasons other than he is an A-HOLE.

I was always under the impression that Marrone was promised better facilities when he was hired. The university dragged their feet and that was a big part of why he left.

Marrone leaving wasn't all on Marrone necessarily. There were reasons other than he is an A-HOLE.

Yep. There were a lot of reasons for a divorce on both sides, I think.

But that really doesn't absolve him of being an a-hole.

Yep. There were a lot of reasons for a divorce on both sides, I think.

But that really doesn't absolve him of being an a-hole.
I personally dot give 2 flying crops if he was an a-hole if he wins games.

I hear Saban, Harbaugh and Meyer are a joy to work with.

Message to Doug from Jaguars if the spot opens up: "You were the team's "dream" coach, but we will hire someone else."

Could have hired Phil Montgomery

Well done.

Exactly. He didn't make it happen. It would have gotten done eventually anyways. I'd look more closely at what changed that very same year (ACC $$$).

He added some urgency, maybe. But it was a known need long before he got here.

Not true. Doug's sudden leaving changed the mindset and it was a wake up call that things were seriously wrong at SUAD. First, SU never did "unfunded" projects before Sevyrud. We do have Mr Ensley & Thompson to thank dearly for most of the funding of the IPF but it was SU itself that guaranteed the remaining funds needed to build the IPF (I don't know if SUAD is paying that back or not). Sevyrud has changed the way of thinking with the BoT versus the way in which SU did things in the past.

We wouldn't be doing a new Dome renovation without the current Chancellor either. Also getting Tirico on the BoT along with Wildhack as our AD we are sitting in a great position to support DFB's success.

What is the matter with this board, a Marrone thread with 5 pages in two hours four years after he left.

Don't you people have jobs?
upload_2016-10-28_16-30-11.png

Not true. Doug's sudden leaving changed the mindset and it was a wake up call that things were seriously wrong at SUAD. First, SU never did "unfunded" projects before Sevyrud. We do have Mr Ensley & Thompson to thank dearly for most of the funding of the IPF but it was SU itself that guaranteed the remaining funds needed to build the IPF (I don't know if SUAD is paying that back or not). Sevyrud has changed the way of thinking with the BoT versus the way in which SU did things in the past.

We wouldn't be doing a new Dome renovation without the current Chancellor either. Also getting Tirico on the BoT along with Wildhack as our AD we are sitting in a great position to support DFB's success.

If it took Marrone to point to out that we needed an IPF and a Dome reno - then I have less faith than I did in the powers that be. It had been a problem since before Gross/Cantor.

I'm very, very high on the current leadership however. Sevyrud/Wildhack/Babers is a group that can build it correctly.

Oh look... surprise... another"great taste" vs "less filling" conversation about Doug Marrone...Mods can you create the Doug Marrone dumpster fire talk thread so those that would like to beat this horse 200 more times can do so within 1 thread? Oh my god people...learn to let things go...oh and Go Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom