Class of 2014 - DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered

I was wondering what the Syracuse connection is with this kid. Family in the area? Also, maybe I'm just being crazy here but he looks to me like the kind of kid that would be a walk on at Alabama (and I mean that in a good way).

Last edited:
Harvey or Kayton have to work out for us. I have faith in the staff and believe they know talent and how to recruit. I am kind of frustrated we can't find and get vetbals from higher profile recruits on the offensive line and at DT.

I too, find this puzzling... Am I the only one impressed with the job Tim Daoust has done?

[
I too, find this puzzling... Am I the only one impressed with the job Tim Daoust has done?

I think he's done a hell of a job. The problem is that, plug and play type DT's and OL's are a limited quantity, and the big boys are all over them. It's extremely difficult for a kid not to get caught up in the hype when USC, OSU, FSU, Bama, etc are beating down your door.

I think Doust is a fantastic coach. Bring in the 6'1", 300lb fireplugs, and Doust will teach them how to suffocate the line of scrimmage while our linebackers and safety's fly up, attack, and kill the ball!

Cuse seem to like quicker Nose Tackles. So I see him as a 3 tech. I think we are going to see a combination of Crume and Coleman at Nose.
Where do you see Sloan, or Williams, for that matter.

Sloan needs to get in shape. doesnt have alot of muscle. Doesnt look like he can get alot of snaps. Im sure the staff will be pushing him hard this spring. I saw some good things when he got in but he needs to get better. Williams is gonna be relied on big time. i just dont know what to expect from him. he hasnt played in 2 years. Its really comes down to his work ethic and how fast he learns the scheme and technique. I know that Daoust really like him and believe he can turn him into a beast. We dont know if Raymon will be back. I am a little nervous about the lack of experience there. I think the staff may slide zeek or thompson inside.

The problem is that, plug and play type DT's and OL's are a limited quantity, and the big boys are all over them. It's extremely difficult for a kid not to get caught up in the hype when USC, OSU, FSU, Bama, etc are beating down your door.

Tell me the irony isn't palpable. I agree with what you're saying, nature isn't exactly pumping out big humans who can move well. But I see these guys flocking to the big time programs as the quintessential What? They're in the best position to play early but go to the programs where it is most unlikely they will move up the depth chart in their first few years.

Sloan needs to get in shape. doesnt have alot of muscle. Doesnt look like he can get alot of snaps. Im sure the staff will be pushing him hard this spring. I saw some good things when he got in but he needs to get better. Williams is gonna be relied on big time. i just dont know what to expect from him. he hasnt played in 2 years. Its really comes down to his work ethic and how fast he learns the scheme and technique. I know that Daoust really like him and believe he can turn him into a beast. We dont know if Raymon will be back. I am a little nervous about the lack of experience there. I think the staff may slide zeek or thompson inside.

As always I think you got this dead on. I feel the same way about Sloan and Williams being question marks. Conditioning will be a major issue for both, as well as Williams getting the schemes down. There is a lot of talent in both, but a lot of work to get done. It's almost a given that Thompson, or someone else (I like Zeke at DE), slides over. DT should be our major ? mark heading into the 2014 season.

Tell me the irony isn't palpable. I agree with what you're saying, nature isn't exactly pumping out big humans who can move well. But I see these guys flocking to the big time programs as the quintessential What? They're in the best position to play early but go to the programs where it is most unlikely they will move up the depth chart in their first few years.

Yes, but they also get more exposure to scouts and NFL talent evaluators at those schools on a regular basis, and get to play in marquee games and "theoretically" play against better competition in practice and during the season. So, by the time they are Juniors and Seniors it's their turn to start and then they will be at the top of the draft boards if they turn out to be as talented as the hype when they get their chance to play.

Going to the "lesser" schools, it can still be done (Aaron Donald, for example this year), but those schools are called "football factories" for a reason... they pump out NFL caliber talent year after year because they start off with the a higher percentage of the best players from high school year after year to work with and develop.

Clay-Chalk Football ‏@CCHSfootbal 19h
Syracuse U at CCHS today.

I'm sure that's something they don't see every day in Bama.

I'm surprised it did say:

Some Yankee learnin' school at CCHS today.
;)

As always I think you got this dead on. I feel the same way about Sloan and Williams being question marks. Conditioning will be a major issue for both, as well as Williams getting the schemes down. There is a lot of talent in both, but a lot of work to get done. It's almost a given that Thompson, or someone else (I like Zeke at DE), slides over. DT should be our major ? mark heading into the 2014 season.

I really feel like Sloan could be a monster DT if we could get him in shape. He and Williams need to spend the next 5 months together lifting with Shamarko or at least emulating his work out routine. Everyday the kid (ST) uploads video onto FB of what he is doing the gym. I really want him when his playings days are over to come back as our S&C coach! He's a machine!

Vince Wilfork looks like he could use some conditioning as well but it looks like he inhales triple Quarter Pounders by the dozen.

He'll be in that sea of Orange on Saturday

Daoust is on this

Looking good

If we get Harvey I will be fairly happy. Everyone assumes Holley is better or will be better because he is a 4 star and he went to these elite showcases. Well Im telling you right now that Harvey's senior film is more impressive and he did it against way better competition. He does a better job of defeating down blocks and pullers. He is better at shooting his hands and disengaging. Holley is rated high because he was a basketball kid so that makes him agile and quick on his feet, he's only played 2 years of football so he's raw and we assume he has upside. I don't buy it. In my opinion the most impressive thing on Holley's film is that he has a motor and doesn't give up on plays. He seems like a great kid and hard worker so I want the best for him. But we cant assume that he is gonna have a better career. I see great things in Harvey's film. What do you guys think?

If we get Harvey I will be fairly happy. Everyone assumes Holley is better or will be better because he is a 4 star and he went to these elite showcases. Well Im telling you right now that Harvey's senior film is more impressive and he did it against way better competition. He does a better job of defeating down blocks and pullers. He is better at shooting his hands and disengaging. Holley is rated high because he was a basketball kid so that makes him agile and quick on his feet, he's only played 2 years of football so he's raw and we assume he has upside. I don't buy it. In my opinion the most impressive thing on Holley's film is that he has a motor and doesn't give up on plays. He seems like a great kid and hard worker so I want the best for him. But we cant assume that he is gonna have a better career. I see great things in Harvey's film. What do you guys think?
I think I like your post!

Yeah Money 100% I'm with you. His head won't be filled with nonsense thinking about how he's already made it with the 4 stars.

You make a keen observation in noticing the competition. Realizing these guys are both pretty close in size, the biggest disparity is in listed height but they are more or less the same, how much smaller Holley's opposition is really stands out. Holley seems faster to me, faster firing out of his stance and getting the first step...but not by much. Harvey looks much stronger, especially in his base. Harvey plays with a much lower pad level, Holley seems to either stand up his blocker or get pushed up often, Harvey does a really good job of gaining leverage low...seems like he does it almost naturally. Have to like what you see. I especially like truth in advertising...