Class of 2014 - DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 DT Jalen Harvey (AL)Offered

You make a keen observation in noticing the competition. Realizing these guys are both pretty close in size, the biggest disparity is in listed height but they are more or less the same, how much smaller Holley's opposition is really stands out. Holley seems faster to me, faster firing out of his stance and getting the first step...but not by much. Harvey looks much stronger, especially in his base. Harvey plays with a much lower pad level, Holley seems to either stand up his blocker or get pushed up often, Harvey does a really good job of gaining leverage low...seems like he does it almost naturally. Have to like what you see. I especially like truth in advertising...
I agree. All good points. Doaust will have him ready

Last edited:
If we get Harvey I will be fairly happy. Everyone assumes Holley is better or will be better because he is a 4 star and he went to these elite showcases. Well Im telling you right now that Harvey's senior film is more impressive and he did it against way better competition. He does a better job of defeating down blocks and pullers. He is better at shooting his hands and disengaging. Holley is rated high because he was a basketball kid so that makes him agile and quick on his feet, he's only played 2 years of football so he's raw and we assume he has upside. I don't buy it. In my opinion the most impressive thing on Holley's film is that he has a motor and doesn't give up on plays. He seems like a great kid and hard worker so I want the best for him. But we cant assume that he is gonna have a better career. I see great things in Harvey's film. What do you guys think?

I know everyone liked this post and Money's opinion is his own and is subjective, but one of these recruits has committed to PSU and Florida, and one has committed to South Alabama and Western Kentucky. I'm not sure the folks that get paid a lot of money to evaluate and recruit talent would agree with your assessment.

At the same time, neither player is a finished product. As you suggest, who knows who will be better over the long run?

He's got the offer. I hope he commits, works his butt off, develops, and becomes a star!

I know everyone liked this post and Money's opinion is his own and is subjective, but one of these recruits has committed to PSU and Florida, and one has committed to South Alabama and Western Kentucky. I'm not sure the folks that get paid a lot of money to evaluate and recruit talent would agree with your assessment.

At the same time, neither player is a finished product. As you suggest, who knows who will be better over the long run?

He's got the offer. I hope he commits, works his butt off, develops, and becomes a star!

All the best players don't always get recruited to the top national teams. Players fall through the cracks all the time. It is not an exact science.

phil77 said:
All the best players don't always get recruited to the top national teams. Players fall through the cracks all the time. It is not an exact science.

See: Jay Bromley

I see your point, but I disagree with the evaluators getting paid a lot of money to evaluate. Just sheer number of athletes out there, there are not enough evaluators and I question their motives sometimes. I'm disrespecting them, just question if they have all the information. What I do trust is our coaches and who they want to bring into their programs to improve their programs. End of the day, coaches are the experts.

Art Jones, and his brother Chandler didn't get recruited by the big boys, these NYC kids seem to be over rated just because they are from the city. Bromley from the island never got a look, but turned out to be a good one. The Jones boys and Bromley, I'll take those kids over these NYC hot shots any day. The Kids we have gotten from the city fit the mold of our program, hard workers with no illusions.

The evaluators see the upside of holley and I get it. Their rating him based on his potential. I was told that by a site writer who attended a camp he went to. What if he cant reach his potential? What if he gets to Florida and freeze up? He will be competing against others that were highly recruited too. Will he work harder and respond after getting punched in the mouth or will he give in? Only he can determine that. I do remember Dominique Easley was gonna quit and transfer but he was talked into staying. If you watch the film it is clear that the level of competition is tougher where Harvey's at. At this point of their career, Harvey's looks better. IMO

These are the type of kids that we will always recruit and rely on. Developing under the radar kids and hauling in the best kids we can versus our true competitors
Harvey and Sapp (great name for a DL) are now at the top of my want list. Their film just standout. Samuels is right there too, and this Cajon kid, Thibodeuax, is quite similar to Rodney and would make a very nice 3 technique. Tough to compare these kids to a Holley type, but I agree our best approach at this particular position are the sleeper recruits, such as these four. Probably not plug 'n play types, but enough potential there for contributions as next season progresses, or of need be, in a yr or two. Just wish we had the luxury to take 3 or 4 of these kids this yr.

Not disagreeing with you, but you also have to consider Holley was a "camp" kid and had all the exposure in the world. I want to say Harvey only attended a regional one, if that. These camps circuits, The Opening, Rivalz 5 star challenge, etc, pretty much cemented Holley's status.
As for Harvey he just played in a Alabama vs Miss All Star game and was said to have been the best lineman in the game, and that was against an all SEC caliber kids.

As for Harvey he just played in a Alabama vs Miss All Star game and was said to have been the best lineman in the game, and that was against an all SEC caliber kids.

He really is Jay Bromley part 2. Hopefully his time here takes him in the same direction. I remember when Bromley played in that All Star game and dominated people, a guy no one had ever heard of.

Maybe we should just start calling him Jay Harvey lol.

So it sounds like he's a B lister from an A location?

Don't really know. If he was a kid the staff was following all year and they had him down the list, then yeah, definitely a B lister.

But he might be one of those guys that just popped up towards the end of the cycle - happens every single year.

Probably because he is bringing his family with him. I don't think they pay for everyone to fly besides the recruit.

This is an official right? Why aren't they flying?
maybe one of his parents is afraid of flying or maybe we don't pay for the whole family

That is dedication! Will be great to see him join the Cuse family!

Yeah but I just got this flashback to when my husband, I and the dog drove for two days in the car to come home to CNY for a visit from Arkansas. That dog would go under the bed and show his teeth every time he saw the suitcases come out after those four days in the car.

Probably because he is bringing his family with him. I don't think they pay for everyone to fly besides the recruit.
Just looked it up. i always figured they paid for a family member or 2.

Friends or relatives may not receive cost-free transportation unless they accompany the prospect at the time the prospect travels in an automobile to make an official visit.

Yeah but I just got this flashback to when my husband, I and the dog drove for two days in the car to come home to CNY for a visit from Arkansas. That dog would go under the bed and show his teeth every time he saw the suitcases come out after those four days in the car.
Funny I had a flashback too, it was when my family drove from Chicago to Wally World in The family truckster. The dog peed on our sandwiches, got dragged behind the car, our aunt Edna died and to top it off Wally World was closed. That was truly am awful trip.

Funny I had a flashback too, it was when my family drove from Chicago to Wally World in The family truckster. The dog peed on our sandwiches, got dragged behind the car, our aunt Edna died and to top it off Wally World was closed. That was truly am awful trip.

Oh yeah and the smell from the back seat...