Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

Sometimes I wonder how many 12 year olds have found this site. Judging by some of the emotional depth on full display, I'd have to imagine it's more than a few.

Its kinda creepy, if you really think about it, how fans take a kid's personal decision, and a big one at that, so personally that he/she has to publicly cuss out the kid. This kid doesn't owe anyone anything other then to himself, his family and his friends. We all do the same thing in our decisions - we make the best one for ourselves.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at how civil this thread has been given what's transpired the last week or so. Is this board growing up? :) :)

MadNY3 said:
Disagree. If he commits to FL tonight, in just a couple days, he/his parents go from "We are committed to Syracuse" and "I really want to play defense" to the opposite. IN 72 hours. Not good. More time massages that. I don't wish the kid anything but success. But when, I suspect, he decommits and goes to Florida, chalk it up as another reason why parents/family should not post on school message boards, no matter how sweet, well-intentioned and Christian they may be. Good luck, Clark family. And fellow Internet posters, reconsider the meaningless pitches and incessant "likes" upon every family post.

This makes no sense. Why shouldn't they post? bcub got to know us and we got to know him. That's it. The end.

As I said in another thread - I think it helps. I have way more empathy for Steven and his family than I would otherwise. And I will root for him no matter what (although it will be 1000x easier in a Syracuse UNI).

If you can't handle the ups and downs of recruiting, don't follow it.

Cuse has put their best foot forward. In doing so, they've been involved with, and contending for more high profile recruits than in recent memory.

At the end of the day, showcase your best assets, and, if it's a fit that's tremendous. If not, best of luck in all you do.

Steven's earned this opportunity, as have thousands of others in the past and will in the future. He's 100% entitled to whatever he needs to make this decision. Wether it be time, visits or a simple conversation with anyone he trusts. It's his privilege, he's earned it. Respect it.

Wasn't responding to you Bam - I'm replying to the ppl saying they don't like this argument as to why kids should not choose perennial powerhouse programs over Cuse.
Ah gotcha sorry

TheCusian said:
This makes no sense. Why shouldn't they post? bcub got to know us and we got to know him. That's it. The end.

As I said in another thread - I think it helps. I have way more empathy for Steven and his family than I would otherwise. And I will root for him no matter what (although it will be 1000x easier in a Syracuse UNI).

I agree with this. I have really enjoyed the threads this year where the parents have kept us in the loop about what is going on in the recruiting process (until this weekend, that is, when a bunch of folks on here decided to get personal about somebody else's kid's college choice).

I don't begrudge anyone for changing their mind about where they want to go to college. It's likely the biggest decision of any of their young lives. Nobody on here should take it personally or feel the need to take potshots at the families or even the coaches competing against us. It is very possible that he likes both SU and UF equally and the choice is very difficult.

Let's just try to act civilly while they make their choice here and wish him well if he chooses elsewhere. And if you're petty enough that you don't wish him well, don't be a d1ck about it.

Cuse has put their best foot forward. In doing so, they've been involved with, and contending for higher profile recruits than in recent memory.

At the end of the day, showcase your best assets, and, if it's a fit that's tremendous. If not, best of luck in all you do.

Steven's earned this opportunity, as have thousands of others in the past and will in the future. He's 100% entitled to whatever he needs to make this decision. Wether it be time, visits or a simple conversation with anyone he trusts. It's his earned privilege. Respect it.
Many have complained we aren't competing with the big schools, and now when we are in the final week, and competing this is a bad thing. You can't win the battles if you're not in the fight. At the least even if Steven, and Jake go elsewhere this staff has shown they are willing to enter the battle. To me that's where I want our staff to be, in the battle.

I don't know it's a tough spot for the parents. I kind of agree with what Bees said last night. For fans like us it's great, but for the parents it can turn out really bad. You need an example go check out the "This is our ceiling 2014-15" thread, and the spat BJ's Dad, and some idiot poster got into.

I agree with you that it's unfortunate it went from we told Florida to take a hike, to yes we're visiting UF, and now we are re-considering. Why I said it was good for us that he isn't deciding tonight is because if he did tonight it was almost surely going to be for Florida. You have to think the longer away from the OV visit it goes the more he comes down from the high of the trip.

A valid perspective.

To think we know when the Clark Family doesn't is a complete odyssey in guessing.

First-world problems.

I don't know it's a tough spot for the parents. I kind of agree with what Bees said last night. For fans like us it's great, but for the parents it can turn out really bad. You need an example go check out the "This is our ceiling 2014-15" thread, and the spat BJ's Dad, and some idiot poster got into.
Yeah I saw that. Sad really.

I've been around these boards forever...parents should not post. I wouldn't advise them to even read.

Fans are going to rip players, bitch about recruiting etc. it's what fans do.

It's like sticking your hand in a pot of boiling water and then bitching when you get burned.

I think it's a smart idea of Steven to push back his announcement of where he wants to go. It was blatantly obvious he was feeling rushed into a decision. He has to think about whether he wants to play for a big SEC program (albeit in a down period) that he just recently began talking to or the average sized ACC program that has been recruiting him for a while. It all depends on his preferences and where he thinks he will fit in. It's an understandable conundrum and amplified to the max when it involves a kid. I imagine Florida has imposed a bit of a time constraint on his decision too, adding to the stress. Then you add in another program making a last ditch, desperation effort to wow him over and it's understandable to see how this a hard decision.

The only frustrating part, in my opinion, is that he still is 'technically' verballed here so we can't really assess and build relationships with new recruits until he decides. I almost wish he opened everything up so if we did indeed find a player of equal or better value to commit, they would be able to accept it. From his perspective it makes sense not to, obviously, because he wants that safety of having a spot so his decision isn't made for him by losing the spot. It's similar to Wisconsin's position with Pickard really, except I think we have a better chance with Clark than Wiscy does with Pickard.

I think it's a smart idea of Steven to push back his announcement of where he wants to go. It was blatantly obvious he was feeling rushed into a decision. He has to think about whether he wants to play for a big SEC program (albeit in a down period) that he just recently began talking to or the average sized ACC program that has been recruiting him for a while. It all depends on his preferences and where he thinks he will fit in. It's an understandable conundrum and amplified to the max when it involves a kid. I imagine Florida has imposed a bit of a time constraint on his decision too, adding to the stress. Then you add in another program making a last ditch, desperation effort to wow him over and it's understandable to see how this a hard decision.

The only frustrating part, in my opinion, is that he still is 'technically' verballed here so we can't really assess and build relationships with new recruits until he decides. I almost wish he opened everything up so if we did indeed find a player of equal or better value to commit, they would be able to accept it. From his perspective it makes sense not to, obviously, because he wants that safety of having a spot so his decision isn't made for him by losing the spot. It's similar to Wisconsin's position with Pickard really, except I think we have a better chance with Clark than Wiscy does with Pickard.
Not true. If getting someone at DT is truly important for this class, then we need to start planning now (or yesterday). There is one weekend left for visits - I would be lining up a visit or two from our backup prospects ASAP.

You're kind of a jerk...hate to be in a foxhole with you. You give up before you lose. Are you French?

Don't worry him, some people have a hard time remembering they're not the only one that matters in life.

I wanted Florida to offer. I wanted him to tell Florida no thanks. I want SU to be great again and these are the battles that we need to win in order to accomplish that. But when it comes down to it, if Clark chooses FL or anyone else, so be it. My life won't change based on his decision, his will, and how dare anyone begrudge him for making a decision he decides is best for him and his future. Sure, the competitor and sports fan in me gets emotionally invested in this crap, but we can't get so invested that we spew crap at these kids for making a decision that is best for them. I understand that it puts us (or more realistically, our Orange) in a tough spot losing a high quality commit so close to NLI but this isn't about any of us, it's about Clark and the rest of his life. This is college football and these things happen every year unfortunately for us fans.

anomander said:

Yeah - I see both sides. I just see it as more of our problem then theirs.

Disagree.

If he commits to FL tonight, in just a couple days, he/his parents go from "We are committed to Syracuse" and "I really want to play defense" to the opposite. IN 72 hours.

Not good.

More time massages that.

I don't wish the kid anything but success. But when, I suspect, he decommits and goes to Florida, chalk it up as another reason why parents/family should not post on school message boards, no matter how sweet, well-intentioned and Christian they may be.

Good luck, Clark family. And fellow Internet posters, reconsider the meaningless pitches and incessant "likes" upon every family post.
It's the internet. People post about recipes, healthcare, dead pigs with air and where their kids are considering playing football. Can't stop it.

Don't worry him, some people have a hard time remembering they're not the only one that matters in life.

I wanted Florida to offer. I wanted him to tell Florida no thanks. I want SU to be great again and these are the battles that we need to win in order to accomplish that. But when it comes down to it, if Clark chooses FL or anyone else, so be it. My life won't change based on his decision, his will, and how dare anyone begrudge him for making a decision he decides is best for him and his future. Sure, the competitor and sports fan in me gets emotionally invested in this crap, but we can't get so invested that we spew crap at these kids for making a decision that is best for them. I understand that it puts us (or more realistically, our Orange) in a tough spot losing a high quality commit so close to NLI but this isn't about any of us, it's about Clark and the rest of his life. This is college football and these things happen every year unfortunately for us fans.

Right, people need to try to put themselves in his shoes. He's a kid that grew up in Alabama (I assume) and in the span of a couple months has gone from committed to South Alabama to flipping to Syracuse, and now getting interest from Florida and Ole Miss. He's in the heart of SEC country and is now getting a chance to decide whether to play for an SEC team closer to home or take off to live in the Northeast to play in the ACC.

I sincerely hope he stays with Syracuse, but I completely understand from his perspective why it would be very tempting to go with an SEC team. I don't know if Ole Miss offered him yet, but if I was in his shoes I would be planning to take an official visit there this week-end if I was offered to at least check it out.

In my view this is the last time any of these kids really have the power in their football related choices (at least for a good long time)... once committed, he will be locked into a school and once on campus he would have to sit out a year to go elsewhere if he doesn't like it. Even further down the road if he developed into a NFL draft level talent, then even at that point he doesn't have a choice about where he goes next... it's up to who drafts him. So, in 8-10 years when he becomes an NFL Free Agent after his rookie contract is finished, he can decide where to go next! :)

Its kinda creepy, if you really think about it, how fans take a kid's personal decision, and a big one at that, so personally that he/she has to publicly cuss out the kid. This kid doesn't owe anyone anything other then to himself, his family and his friends. We all do the same thing in our decisions - we make the best one for ourselves.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at how civil this thread has been given what's transpired the last week or so. Is this board growing up? :) :)

I'd like to think is because Kelly and I are on here and adding some class to this forum. ;)

And don't worry about parents being on here..and least not two of them. Bam and Kelly are probably two of the most level headed posters on here and are very aware about how bad it can get on here.

Not true. If getting someone at DT is truly important for this class, then we need to start planning now (or yesterday). There is one weekend left for visits - I would be lining up a visit or two from our backup prospects ASAP.

There is always a backup plan in any type of recruiting.