Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duce Chestnut transferring back to the 'Cuse

Is there anyone still here that had issues with him?
Maybe if he burned some NIL folks here?
Otherwise, his old teammates still liking him is a good sign.

Duce’s play as a true freshman was impressive. I expected the usual sophomore leap in terms of the game slowing down even more for him, but it didn’t materialize the way I expected his Sophomore year. He has talent, but needs to put it all together.

Believe he only played in 4 games this year for LSU, so unless he gets stung with having to sit out a year, he can use his redshirt for the 2023 season and would have 2 years left on his clock.

I’d like him back as long as we’re confident he’s good enough to stay on the field. Wouldn’t make sense for any party to bring him back purely for depth. Fran is the best person possible to be making that call.

Duce’s play as a true freshman was impressive. I expected the usual sophomore leap in terms of the game slowing down even more for him, but it didn’t materialize the way I expected his Sophomore year. He has talent, but needs to put it all together.

Believe he only played in 4 games this year for LSU, so unless he gets stung with having to sit out a year, he can use his redshirt for the 2023 season and would have 2 years left on his clock.
I’m pretty sure he has 2 years left. He never redshirted here.

My opinion is that Duce is an average ACC CB. Which is a lot better than we had in 2023 with Johnson and Bellamy.

Duce is above average defending the run and screens.

He is okay defending most passes. He is going to get beat long because he isn’t fast enough to cover 4.4 guys. Tends to get beat up and that affects his level of play over the course of a season.

But you need a bunch of CBS to get through a season. They get banged up and it is best to play a few of them to help keep the injuries and wear and tear with our CBS low.

Might be a good fit at that nickel safety position as well.

But if I had my druthers, I would have a couple of 4.4 or 4.5 guys at CB and stop getting beat deep so much.

DC is good in tight spaces. I like him as a corner when the opponent is on our 25 or closer. Basically he's a good red zone player. Why, because he doesn't have to worry about getting beat deep, and he's good against the run and is a good tackling player. DC weakness is his lack of speed and a short field helps him.

what stood out to me was his open field tackling ability. By no means am I a football X and O's guy, but his ability to tackle guys to end plays was something we had been missing (for quite some time). at least that's what I saw.

Last edited:
My opinion is that Duce is an average ACC CB. Which is a lot better than we had in 2023 with Johnson and Bellamy.

He is okay defending most passes. He is going to get beat long because he isn’t fast enough to cover 4.4 guys. Tends to get beat up and that affects his level of play over the course of a season.

But you need a bunch of CBS to get through a season. They get banged up and it is best to play a few of them to help keep the injuries and wear and tear with our CBS low.

But if I had my druthers, I would have a couple of 4.4 or 4.5 guys at CB and stop getting beat deep so much.
Yeah depending on how the other shake out I’m thinking nickel also. Outside cover guy prob not

He was a lockdown corner here...opponents threw away from him...not sure what happened at LSU ...he had an interception early in the FSU game but then got schooled by the taller WR's from state...Kelly soured on him...I'd take him back he was tough here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom