Duke has games 2/18, 2/20 and 2/22 | Syracusefan.com

Duke has games 2/18, 2/20 and 2/22

jvbj01

All Conference
@ Georgia Tech, @ North Carolina and home against Syracuse.

How will these quick turnarounds affect their play against Syracuse? I wouldn't mind seeing GT and NC take the games into overtime.

How will these quick turnarounds affect their play against Syracuse? I wouldn't mind seeing GT and NC take the games into overtime.
Should definitely help, especially if all their games are close. Especially if the game Thursday vs. UNC is a nail biter, it oculd be hard for Duke to turnaround that quickly. Look how we played vs. ND after Duke (I know it's not the same, but it's hard to get up for a game that quickly 2 days after a huge game)

On paper at least, it will have an impact. That rescheduled game against UNC could work in our favor. First of all, they won't be looking ahead to Saturday with a game against their hated rival on Thursday, these teams / fanbases hate each other, and they'll undoubtedly expend some energy having to tough out that game on the road. It might be tough for them to have that game, then turn around two games later and be up to play us, play their best, etc. It also means they can't spend the entire weak preparing to play us with the distraction of having to get ready for Carolina on Thursday.

Again, on paper. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it could impact their performance having to play two days after taking on their rival--and I'll take any advantage we can get.

i think it will be a factor, especially playing unc 2 days before. thats a huge rivalry game then a quick turnaround. we should be rested and hopefully at full strength with baye back. i like our chances more.

Because Duke will be exhausted, I am sure JB will press for 40 minutes, play aggressive man to man defense, and go deep into our bench in order to wear them down.

If duke loses to unc or syracuse though they should arguably be way behind us, they have messed up alot this year, have us on the road, and like us just finished in a buzzer beater against maryland.

Last edited:
I wonder why Duke agreed to moving that UNC game to Thursday. Or maybe the ACC offices didn't give them an option.

Noone wants to see us go undefeated more than I do but this game is gravy if we win it. If we do then A its a great win. If not then life goes on and we still have the inside track on the regular season crown by beating Virginia. We have done enough (and will have done enough by the end of the regular season) to get a #1 seed. We have been there all season and the committee is not going to look at a couple of losses (If we get beat) and throw away the previous 90% of the season. It doesnt work that way.

The UNC game is at 9 pm on Thursday night. Our game is Saturday at 7. That's not a lot of time to turn around and get jacked up for another big game.

It won't win the game for us, but having the UNC game scheduled so late Thursday night is a definite advantage for us.

A team that can defend the perimeter well and score inside well can destroy not just beat duke.
We have much better chemistry then that. Dukes defense is not good, they really hide behind their extended perimeter D which is only pretty good.

Sort of like how teams have played us tough with two guard/forwards around the foul line, CJ has adjusted to that by going baseline more and Grant has found a way to force himself inside the paint more.

I could fully see them looking past UNC to us on Saturday -- losing to UNC but beating us. That would be worst case scenario for us, I think, if they lose to UNC b/c they will see their season going down the tubes if they lose that game.

In any case, I don't see how this could be a good thing for them. Seeing how gassed our team was on Saturday after being in the exact same situation. Even if they're not physically tired the focus is tough to maintain for these intense matchups.

A team that can defend the perimeter well and score inside well can destroy not just beat duke.
We have much better chemistry then that. Dukes defense is not good, they really hide behind their extended perimeter D which is only pretty good.

Sort of like how teams have played us tough with two guard/forwards around the foul line, CJ has adjusted to that by going baseline more and Grant has found a way to force himself inside the paint more.

if duke shoots it from 3 against us the way they did against maryland we'll win by double digits. we'll score against them and dont need to rely on the 3 ball to do it.

This is an advantage for us, but I still fully expect a well played game. Coach K is one of the greats and he'll have his team ready.

I love it. If we blow them out and they look tired it will be all about how we caught a break with them having all of those games back to back, and our response will be...

S9LADvc.gif

I wonder why Duke agreed to moving that UNC game to Thursday. Or maybe the ACC offices didn't give them an option.

I think I heard somewhere that this was the only day they could do it without either team having to play on consecutive days.

Noone wants to see us go undefeated more than I do but this game is gravy if we win it. If we do then A its a great win. If not then life goes on and we still have the inside track on the regular season crown by beating Virginia. We have done enough (and will have done enough by the end of the regular season) to get a #1 seed. We have been there all season and the committee is not going to look at a couple of losses (If we get beat) and throw away the previous 90% of the season. It doesnt work that way.
Lunardi was saying yesterday that there was virtually no way Syracuse would lose a 1 seed. "Their resume is far and away better than anybody's out there" or something similar to that.

it should help them come tourny time.

rat bastirds

I think it will mean if we win, we'll get to hear over and over how the only ranked team we beat on the road was a team playing their 3rd game in 5 days. Not that I'm bitter.

I think fatigue affects jump shooting teams more, so we should see many more short 3 point attempts in our game. Hopefully they only shoot 30%.

I think Duke is playing the 2nd best in the country right now, behind only Florida. Fatigue won't be a factor, IMO- the Crazies will have them pumped especially after that first game in the Dome.
If they play like they did against GT last night, then we're in for a dog-fight but we'll see how they look against UNC. As Marsh said, this game is really gravy & I expect the crucial one will be vs UVA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom