Duke's Harry Giles just underwent another knee surgery | Syracusefan.com

Duke's Harry Giles just underwent another knee surgery

pearl31

in cahoots
2016-10-03_1253.png

I think he's had surgeries on both knees. Id bet he won't be fully healthy at all this year.

Was just saying to someone else last week, I don't think he will be 100% all year. If I was him, I would shut it down and get ready for the draft. Sucks for the player.

Question: "Should we feel bad for Duke"

Answer: " No, them"

Not sure if 40-0 is possible without a PG and losing the best recruit in the country(supposedly).

yeah you gotta wonder if he/those around him are gonna be really, really careful to protect his draft status -
as in, be extra cautious as to when he comes back and if he comes back at all (during the upcoming season) if there's any risk whatsoever

Last edited:
Just looked it up and he tore his ACL, MCL, and meniscus on his left knee last season. Now the right knee is having problems not good.

It's never good to need surgery, but ACL/MCL/Meniscus tear doesn't really carry a real bad prognosis going forward. Hell a meniscus heals better with a ACL tear than in isolation. The worst injuries are ones to the cartilage (like DJC). Those are pretty hard to heal.

It's never good to need surgery, but ACL/MCL/Meniscus tear doesn't really carry a real bad prognosis going forward. Hell a meniscus heals better with a ACL tear than in isolation. The worst injuries are ones to the cartilage (like DJC). Those are pretty hard to heal.
Mine were only partial tears and I have to say, in my case certainly, you are right on the money. Actually got a second opinion on the tears after being told surgery, pt was supposed to take 8 weeks, and after 4 weeks, trainer says to me: "get outta here dude, you're done, get back on the mountain". Snowboarding the very same season I injured it.

Still. In the beginning, it felt like the bottom half of my leg was hanging by a string. Will never forget that feeling and trying to ride down an intermediate trail with only one leg...got halfway down before the stretcher came!

I think the surgery was on the same knee that he injured last year, not the other knee. It's a 'cleanup' surgery from my understanding.

He's torn his ACL's in both knees actually, so whatever surgery he is having is an addition to what happened before.

Yeah, as a veteran of multiple knee surgeries, that how I read the above blurb--he just had a scope, which could be a fairly minor thing to bounce back from. And with the access that these guys have to physical therapy, he could recover quickly.

I qualify the above by acknowledging that it is based on one incomplete sentence from that tweet. If it is something more serious, then obviously that changes things--but "arthroscopy" isn't necessarily a big deal. It's a bigger deal if he has to have cartilage removed, obviously.

It's the both knees thing that's scary. If it was just the one no biggie , but it's not. Trust me I use webmd

He's torn his ACL's in both knees actually, so whatever surgery he is having is an addition to what happened before.
This is correct, he tore the ACL, MCL, and meniscus in his left knee during the summer after his freshman season while playing with team USA. He tore the ACL in his right knee in the first game of his senior season. Three knee injuries in four years doesn't look good. Hopefully this is something minor and he's back strong because he is an absolute blast to watch. When I wrote my Duke preview for the season I was absolutely blown away by what this kid brings to the table, (Shameless Plug Alert:p: 2016 Duke Basketball Preview ) he is a terror on both sides of the ball.

I wish that were true because my torn meniscus has never healed.

You would think there would be some advances in sports medicine on how to prevent and preserve athlete's knees. You would think there would be exercise machines for strengthening ligaments with negative resistance or something. It's a question of physics. Forces created by the weight of the upper body are going to exceed what the ligaments are capable of withstanding. So there has to be ways to strengthen ligaments to increase the amount of stress they can bear.

This is correct, he tore the ACL, MCL, and meniscus in his left knee during the summer after his freshman season while playing with team USA. He tore the ACL in his right knee in the first game of his senior season. Three knee injuries in four years doesn't look good. Hopefully this is something minor and he's back strong because he is an absolute blast to watch. When I wrote my Duke preview for the season I was absolutely blown away by what this kid brings to the table, (Shameless Plug Alert:p: 2016 Duke Basketball Preview ) he is a terror on both sides of the ball.

How soon can the Plumlees fashion another PF/C from their loins. This is an emergency!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom