Dungey as the #2 | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

It may be the most interesting development this preseason. A true freshman as backup. Is it possible he is good enough to be the starter by season's end? Wouldn't that be something?
I think it's quite possible. Alhough I'm not a hunt fan (from a player perspective only).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that maybe Lester is trying to light a fire under Wilson's @ss. If ED plays on Friday then that be a moot point.

Nice thread - actual sports.

My 2 cents, Hunt isn't all that good, nice athlete, strong who can make busted plays happen. But he has a hard time getting the ball on the numbers, had a serious injury, and still split some time with Drew Allen a couple of seasons ago. He's not exactly a natural QB.

SS and crew are coaching for their jobs and they sure as heck need a good storyline for Coyle. Wilson isn't it, Long needs to get a lot stronger at least and is hurt, so that leads us to door #3. If this kid is good enough to play meaningful snaps, and Hunt hasn't shown himself to be as durable as (heaven help me grandma) Perry Patterson, we need a kid who can make plays, not a kid who'll be stashed away for a whole different crew of guys to coach in 2019.

My 2 cents, Hunt isn't all that good, nice athlete, strong who can make busted plays happen. But he has a hard time getting the ball on the numbers, had a serious injury, and still split some time with Drew Allen a couple of seasons ago. He's not exactly a natural QB.

SS and crew are coaching for their jobs and they sure as heck need a good storyline for Coyle. Wilson isn't it, Long needs to get a lot stronger at least and is hurt, so that leads us to door #3. If this kid is good enough to play meaningful snaps, and Hunt hasn't shown himself to be as durable as (heaven help me grandma) Perry Patterson, we need a kid who can make plays, not a kid who'll be stashed away for a whole different crew of guys to coach in 2019.
Uh-oh, did you just send out the bat signal to iluvmygrands?

RF2044 said:
You have consistently misrepresented my position on this. My take is that a few token snaps aren't worth losing the player he could be in his fifth year--especially when they'd get the vast majority of benefits from being 2nd string and being involved in weekly game preparation whether they see the field or not. I also don't agree with the notion that it is imperative to get a 2nd string QB snaps because of "you have to play your best players"logic. How often is a 2nd string QB going to play, let alone have an impact on the outcome? QB is the hardest position on the field to master. Redshirting would benefit Dungey physically, mentally, enhance his knowledge of the playbook, give him a chance to acclimate to the speed of the college game, enable the game to slow down for him, and give him a better command of his role. I'm greatly encouraged by the reports that Dungey has been impressive. I still find it highly doubtful that he'd be ready to contribute at a high level after a month of preseason camp. If that ends up being the case, then he'd be the exception to where most true freshman QB are, from a readiness standpoint. On the other hand, if Dungey is better than Hunt, or if Hunt gets injured, then I have no problem with him playing. After two days of posting in this thread, I'm not sure how you are still not understanding my perspective, whether you agree or disagree. I love Dungey's potential, but I think that many posters [a] have already made their minds up that Hunt stinks and won't be effective even though they haven't seen what he can do in the new offense, and are engaging in wishful thinking about a true frosh QB somehow being ready to step in effectively, or (b) that they are exhibiting a common syracusefan.com tendency to overrate our skilled players and underestimate where they are on their developmental curves.

I'm sincerely not trying to misrepresent anything. I understand your position. My contention is that it may be that the coaches see more value for him to have this role, whatever it may turn out to be, in 2015, than to preserve the complete unknown of 2019.

All I'm saying is that if the coaches think this is the best approach then I support them. I really don't know enough to disapprove.

1-hcss is coaching for his career with a new ad in town -

2- maybe he is the second best option (is that a sign of just how week we are at qb)

3- no matter how this ends up =we will have had zero input on hcss decisions

rosconey said:
1-hcss is coaching for his career with a new ad in town - 2- maybe he is the second best option (is that a sign of just how week we are at qb) 3- no matter how this ends up =we will have had zero input on hcss decisions

1. Yep

2. Yep - though I think Dungey might be really good too

3. Never will, thankfully

SS and crew are coaching for their jobs and they sure as heck need a good storyline for Coyle. Wilson isn't it, Long needs to get a lot stronger at least and is hurt, so that leads us to door #3.
I think this could be a part of it.

Hunt is totally flawed if you have any hopes of winning more than 7 games. He just can't pass well enough to beat really good teams.

BUT he might be extremely effective against run of the mill teams because he's so effective on the ground and can at least throw enough to not be a total liability there

there are so many games on the schedule that should be foregone conclusions (good outcome or bad) - those games should be enough to give dungey a broad experience, get some success against lousy teams, get exposed to good teams. those games in the middle should be the ones where dungey gets less time (provided that we don't fall on our face in september)

nassib threw 1 pass against Maine and Akron and 16 against Pitt in 2009. this is not how you do it.

I don't discount Long as much as most. He showed some good things last season in a very difficult situation. I think he could be more than adequate in the future, which is a significant upgrade from most of the last 15 years.

Hope it doesn't scary away Wilson and Long. Would hate to have an incoming Freshman coming off an injury as our only possible #2 next year. Hope we can keep Long around and give him a shot to compete when healthy.

Oakland said:
I don't discount Long as much as most. He showed some good things last season in a very difficult situation. I think he could be more than adequate in the future, which is a significant upgrade from most of the last 15 years.

If I were to bet, I'd say he's destined for the #2 slot next year. I think if passing is fairly even, Dungey would get the start based on size and athleticism.

Don't know if what you say is true or not, but this is the third opinion that has not been mentioned much: that the coaches think Dungey will be better than Hunt this season and they expect to start him once it is clear Hunt is not getting it done.

Dungey gets and knows the offense. He is smart cool confident and collected. They the coaching staff are itching to find out if the kid can do it in a game like he has done it in practice. They have a need to know and so does Dungey. To hell with redshirting.

I'm all in on Eric. He has already shown more than Long or Wilson ever did in terms of tools.

I'm all in on Eric. He has already shown more than Long or Wilson ever did in terms of tools.
For this year, yep, Dungey for President.

So I was saying...