Dungey as the #2 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey as the #2

OttoinGrotto said:
I totally get both perspectives here. We're just not going to send a lot of guys to the NFL. A player's best season should be when they're a 5th year senior with the type of talent we recruit. My thinking is, the more 5th year seniors we have, the better we'll probably be. That might not be true everywhere. I think it's true there. I mean we've got people saying a reason to believe in the offense this year is because we have a 5th year senior. Why not at least keep that possibility alive for Dungey if we don't have to use him.

It is alive. He's not played yet.

He could get redshirted next season. Could get hurt early in a season and get an extra year back.

I tend to agree with us being a development school. But in this case? What happens if this year is a 5 or 6 win season? And we start a Rs Freshman who loses 3 games early because we didn't get him some playing time? And we finish with another 4 win season. Zero momentum. I'd argue that we need a bump. We've been mediocre to bad for too long.

Who is arguing with him being the backup, or questioning Shafer's decision to make him that? Certainly not me. What I'm saying is that if he's the BACKUP, and not going to play a significant role, or give us a better chance to win than Hunt, then we shouldn't waste a year of his eligibility over limited snaps.

If he's capable of contributing more, or supplanting Hunt as the STARTING , then that is a different story.

And for the record, I think your first sentence is an unsubstantiated attribution. We don't know that the coaches think he's "ready enough" to play now. I think that's being infrerred by some posters, based upon some favorable comments from coaches. Maybe they just think he's more ready than Wilson, or are projecting on upside compared to Wilson. :noidea:

Blowing red shirt years is such a first world/top 25 problem esp at the QB position. Let's get there for once and then we can complain that we lost a final season with this transcendent star. I say play whomever if it gives us a chance to win now.

Pedal to the metal is my mantra w this program. I've waited too many years for legitimacy.

1. The two factions that are arguing, actually agree with each other on all key points (Dungey should get meaningful minutes this year, not mop-up hand offs). You guys are just so hell bent on arguing.
  2. What if Dungey doesn't want to redshirt? What if has expressed that to the coaches that he plans to graduate with his degree and be done.
  3. I sure we all remember when Hunt won the QB race in camp and they gave it to Allen. Do you remember how much better the rest of the team played once they finally benched Allen? It looked like they tried harder for Hunt. What if Dungey demonstrated his superiority to the other backups and the entire team knew it. Would they respond similarly if Hunt went down and the guy who earned it didn't get in? (I'm reaching here)
  4. Playing true freshman makes recruiting a lot easier

You do this a lot. This happened before so it must be that way now. History does repeat itself; until it doesn't.

We should take it for what it is: the coaches really like him. They think he'll be a good football player. I'm going off of that. Because they have seen him take a snap.

No one is saying he's a sure-fire anything.

Huh? I'm not disagreeing with you.

And yes, I like to tweak people, but it's only in good fun.

My point was that for a number of years people have been verrrry sure that we were loaded at QB, and obviously we never have been. Some of the same people who have been proclaiming that annually are now clamoring for this kid to redshirt. I just think it's valuable to point out when people take their opinions, past and present, too seriously.

I'm the first to admit here that I have no idea what I'm talking about most of the time.

Who is arguing with him being the backup, or questioning Shafer's decision to make him that? Certainly not me. What I'm saying is that if he's the BACKUP, and not going to play a significant role, or give us a better chance to win than Hunt, then we shouldn't waste a year of his eligibility over limited snaps.

If he's capable of contributing more, or supplanting Hunt as the STARTING , then that is a different story.

And for the record, I think your first sentence is an unsubstantiated attribution. We don't know that the coaches think he's "ready enough" to play now. I think that's being infrerred by some posters, based upon some favorable comments from coaches. Maybe they just think he's more ready than Wilson, or are projecting on upside compared to Wilson. :noidea:

And I don't disagree with what you say, theoretically. But of course it's impossible to know how things will play out for sure. Who thought we'd be playing QB #4 last season? Hell, who thought Hunt would be a dummy and get himself tossed out of the first game?! The thing that we've all been clamoring for, an easy opening to the season, is what the coaches have to deal with in this regard. Who wants Hunt to play 3 full games if we roll each of these teams? So the coaches have to decide if giving Dungey snaps in these games prepares him, and us, better for a scenario where Hunt is either hurt or ineffective later on. It's a roll of the dice no matter which way we go.

As to my first sentence, it was the coaches who made him #2 on the depth chart, right? That's entirely what I'm basing my premise on. If they didn't think he was ready then it would seem to make a LOT more sense to put one of the guys who played a lot of snaps last season as the #2.

Maybe they want to give Dungey some run this year in consideration of taking in a possible QB transfer next year?

Worrying about the redshirt is madness.

We have not had an adequate passer that wasn't a senior since mcnabb.

Putting Dungey on a shelf because you're worried about 5 years from now is crazy. We need to figure out a way to have a sophomore and a junior QB who isn't terrible. Get Dungey ready now and when we lose the 7th game, play him all the time

this is different from morant. they blew his redshirt without him catching a pass. if they play dungey he will pass the ball.

let's figure out a way to not suck at QB next year. i'll jump off the 2019 bridge when we get to it

We haven't had an above average season since 2001. I cannot agree with you more on this. Worrying about 2019? Let's try to get some momentum ahead of that.

This is what I honestly believe.

This staff is being constantly told they're on the hot seat, might not even get a 4th year. So why stash what could be the future for what would be your 8th year as a staff.

The way I see it is, if he's your guy moving forward, absolutely play him when you can. Now 20 throws for the year in mop up? That's not a good decision. But if that number doubles, then without a doubt get him work.

5 throws a game and 10-15 snaps, every day I'll take it.
I am afraid that's a BINGO.

If you are Shafer and/or Lester the future is now and 2016. There is no sense in planning beyond yet for them. If Dungey is the guy - and jumping over AJ and Wilson is pretty impressive - then get him all the action you can this year. If he goes down - he goes down - that's football.

I really believe this team is loaded with more young talent than we have had in a very long time - ACC type talent - and we need to have a QB with some experience next season to be ready to roll. Dungey is a smart kid (and I always bet on smart) so his time on the field would not be wasted regardless of the plays called or the numbers on the scoreboard.

I don't think this is any accident. Lester moves Womack with his great hands and speed to WR and moves Dungey up to backup. I think he plans on using both as much as he can this year.

Start the clock.

FWIW, I believe that Shafer cares deeply about his players and would put their best interests first. So while I get that there may very well be an urgent "win now" mentality, I would be very surprised if Shafer is selfishly considering burning Dungey's redshirt as merely an act of self-preservation. In other words, if Shafer felt that Dungey would be much better off as a player (and student) redshirting this year, and that playing this year would be an impediment to his long-term success, I think he would he would redshirt him.

Nope. I think Dungey can run as well as Hunt. But if he's more accurate and quicker with his reads - I'd bet the staff will want him to run less. Shoot - they want Hunt to run less.

Go back and watch his senior highlights. Dungey is a really good athlete. He competed in the high jump and long jump for the first time and made the state finals.

(Feel like I'm describing Paul Bunyon a little.)

ED is much more athletic than Hunt. Better quickness, more explosive and, I promise, runs faster than 4.9 n the forty.

FWIW, I believe that Shafer cares deeply about his players and would put their best interests first. So while I get that there may very well be an urgent "win now" mentality, I would be very surprised if Shafer is selfishly considering burning Dungey's redshirt as merely an act of self-preservation. In other words, if Shafer felt that Dungey would be much better off as a player (and student) redshirting this year, and that playing this year would be an impediment to his long-term success, I think he would he would redshirt him.
As you know, sometimes it not the things we do consciously, but rather the decisions we make under pressure that distort priorities. We rationalize away the negatives. I don't think Shafer would do anything to hurt a player's future either, but he is human and who is to say if redshirting is the best decision. If he is the best player then play him - that is an honest decision.

Were Clemson fans this upset about burning Deshaun Watson's redshirt?

If a kid's good enough, he's good enough. We need to win in 2015, forget 2019.

Were Clemson fans this upset about burning Deshaun Watson's redshirt?

If a kid's good enough, he's good enough. We need to win in 2015, forget 2019.

No, because (1) he was a 5 star recruit, and (2) because they had nobody better in front of him.

I'm sure that all else being equal, they would have preferred to redshirt him if they could have.

And neither of those conditions described above arguably applies to Dungey.

Last edited:
Given what I know about HCSS, this would not surprise me in the least.

No, because (1) he was a 5 star recruit, and (2) because they had nobody better in front of him.

I'm sure that all else being equal, they would have preferred to redshirt him if they could have.

That is your opinion. That is not necessarily the opinion of D1 football coaches, or some on this board.

Forget the rankings. That's completely subjective. Maybe Dungey is playing like a 4 or 5 star recruit in camp.

Stoudt was a senior who had mediocre success as a QB. Watson won the second string job in camp. Clemson scripted series for Watson right off the bat - he appeared in Clemson's first three games, including 1 series against Georgia in the opener.

I see a lot of parallels here. I'm a big Hunt fan, but let's be realistic here, he hasn't exactly lot the football world on fire. On his best days he's been above average, on his worst he's really struggled.

Maybe Dungey seizes the starting job after few games, I don't know. Clearly the staff sees something.

That is your opinion. That is not necessarily the opinion of D1 football coaches, or some on this board.

And that's just your opinion, not necessarily the opinion of D1 football coaches, or some on this board.

Did Watson play because of Stoudt's injury or did he win the starting job in camp? If I remember correctly, Stoudt got hurt which opened the door for Watson and he played lights out until his injury.

In regard to your number 2 above: I think it's safe to say that our staff feels the same way about Dungey...after hunt, there is nobody on the roster better.

Did Watson play because of Stoudt's injury or did he win the starting job in camp? If I remember correctly, Stoudt got hurt which opened the door for Watson and he played lights out until his injury.

In regard to your number 2 above: I think it's safe to say that our staff feels the same way about Dungey...after hunt, there is nobody on the roster better.

So you're acknowledging that he's the second best QB on the roster?

Guess we'll see come Friday.