Ed Cooley and Providence | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Ed Cooley and Providence

Seeing providence ranked #8 hurts a lot, good for them but wow when providence is leaps and bounds above us it hurts
There’s a huge difference between Providence’s top 10 AP ranking and their efficiency numbers. They’re 45 in KenPom, 41 in BartTorvik and 38 in BPI. They have a gaudy record but they could be a team primed for a first weekend flameout in the tourney.

Could JB handle that? If Few killed it here that would be rough on JBs ego, IMO
I think it would add to his ego to say, look who I got for everyone and all the fans. And he can be responsible for the next however many years of success with a guy like Few. Again, no one has it better than Few so it just depends if he wants to take on a challenge or stay super comfortable where he is

After watching Providence last night, they are not close to being a top 10 team. If they are a two seed the tournament is in trouble. Villanova is overrated too. They are both middle of the pack ACC teams.
The ACC has one ranked team this year.

Providence may be closer to a 4 seed than a 2 seed but they are damn good.
This take is an overreaction. Those teams played a 89-84 game decided in the last minute.
How the takeaway can be either team is overrated is amazing.

They wouldn’t be a middle of the road ACC team. The middle of the ACC isn’t an NCAAT this year.

Providence is a top 25 team.

Look at the trash the ACC is this year.

Duke is a 2 or 3 seed.
The rest of the conference is 8-11 seeds.

Villanova isn’t a NC favorite but in their down years they are still relevant nationally.

The ACC has one ranked team this year.

Providence may be closer to a 4 seed than a 2 seed but they are damn good.
This take is an overreaction. Those teams played a 89-84 game decided in the last minute.
How the takeaway can be either team is overrated is amazing.

They wouldn’t be a middle of the road ACC team. The middle of the ACC isn’t an NCAAT this year.

Providence is a top 25 team.

Look at the trash the ACC is this year.

Duke is a 2 or 3 seed.
The rest of the conference is 8-11 seeds.

Villanova isn’t a NC favorite but in their down years they are still relevant nationally.

Agree. Went to the game last night. Nova has really good guard play and gets enough out of their bigs.

PC has 8 guys that can all play- there’s not a huge drop off with subs in. They may be overrated in that they aren’t a top 10 team but they are a top 20 team.

There’s a huge difference between Providence’s top 10 AP ranking and their efficiency numbers. They’re 45 in KenPom, 41 in BartTorvik and 38 in BPI. They have a gaudy record but they could be a team primed for a first weekend flameout in the tourney.
Good info! Looks are deceiving

After watching Providence last night, they are not close to being a top 10 team. If they are a two seed the tournament is in trouble. Villanova is overrated too. They are both middle of the pack ACC teams.
Considering how weak the ACC is this season, that puts them pretty far down on the list.

Considering how weak the ACC is this season, that puts them pretty far down on the list.

I don't think middle of the pack is a view held by others that aren't at least somewhat biased to the ACC, etc. Not to mention, while watching that game last night they showed a graphic near game's end where Jerry Palm only had 3 ACC teams in the Dance, whereas the Big East had 7.

Agree. Went to the game last night. Nova has really good guard play and gets enough out of their bigs.

PC has 8 guys that can all play- there’s not a huge drop off with subs in. They may be overrated in that they aren’t a top 10 team but they are a top 20 team.

What an awesome atmosphere you got to witness and enjoy. From watching on TV, the Dunkin Center was rockin! I was really pulling for the Friars, as had they gotten that W last night, they probably win the Big East regular season, which would be their first ever.

Providence will be an early out in the tournament. If Villanova shot their normal foul shooting percentage, Providence would have lost by double digits on their home court. They still have to go to Villanova on March 1.

Last edited:
I don't get the Cooley love. In his 10 seasons at PC , prior to this season, he has averaged 19 wins and 14 losses. He also appears to have a 1-5 record in the NCAA tournament which PC has not even been in the past 3 seasons. "Slam dunk?" "Awsome hire" "Great hire?" Nothing about him screams that he would be any better than any of our 3 assistants. And please don't tell me how "hard it is to succeed at Providence." Pitino, Barnes, Gillen. All succeeded there. All good coaches. Cooley is also good coach.

Providence will be an early out in the tournament. If Villanova shot their normal foul shooting percentage, Providence would have lost by double digits on their home court. They still have to go to Villanova on March 1.

Perhaps. Though, I'd say that they last longer than any other ACC team sans Duke.

And, in regards to your 'Nova foul shooting comment; well, if Gillespie goes for his average last night, 17, vs. the season high 33 he got, it's likely a different ball game as well. So, there's that.

I don't get the Cooley love. In his 10 seasons at PC , prior to this season, he has averaged 19 wins and 14 losses. He also appears to have a 1-5 record in the NCAA tournament which PC has not even been in the past 3 seasons. "Slam dunk?" "Awsome hire" "Great hire?" Nothing about him screams that he would be any better than any of our 3 assistants. And please don't tell me how "hard it is to succeed at Providence." Pitino, Barnes, Gillen. All succeeded there. All good coaches. Cooley is also good coach.

Pitino ran off after only 2 seasons there. Gillen made an Elite 8 run. Of the other HCs, Cooley is the only to win an NCAAT game. He also has the best W% and is the only coach over .500 in conference.

The coaches since have averaged:

Gordon Chiesa 11-17 (5-11) one season
Keno Davis 15.3-16.7 (6-12) with no NCAAT and one NIT
Tim Welsh 14.5-12.6 (7.2-9.2) with 2 NCAAT and 3 NIT
Rick Barnes 18-12.7 (7.8-9.2) with 3 NCAAT and 2 NIT (including a Final Four)
Pete Gillen 18-13.25 (8.25-9.75) with 1 NCAAT and 2 NIT
Before this season
Ed Cooley 19.4-13.5 (9.2-8.9) with 5 NCAAT (2020 woulda been #6) and 2 NIT

Cooley is clearly the best without even counting this season.

His 1st season wasn't great and neither was last season. The other 9 seasons he has been good enough to make 7 NCAAs and 2 NITs.

Last edited:
Pitino ran off after only 2 seasons there. Cooley is the only HC since to win an NCAAT game. He also has the best W% and is the only coach over .500 in conference.

The coaches since have averaged:

Gordon Chiesa 11-17 (5-11) one season
Keno Davis 15.3-16.7 (6-12) with no NCAAT and one NIT
Tim Welsh 14.5-12.6 (7.2-9.2) with 2 NCAAT and 3 NIT
Rick Barnes 18-12.7 (7.8-9.2) with 3 NCAAT and 2 NIT (including a Final Four)
Before this season
Ed Cooley 19.4-13.5 (9.2-8.9) with 5 NCAAT (do they get in Covid year?) and 2 NIT

Cooley is clearly the best without even counting this season.
Pete Gillon got to the Elite 8 in 1997.
PC lost that game in OT to eventual NC Arizona. PC had the last shot in regulation as well.

Gillon left for Virginia afterwards.
Barnes went to Clemson.
Pitino the Knicks.

It used to be a spot for coaches to move up the ladder.

Tim Welsh stayed for a long time.
Keno Davis sucked
Cooley has put roots down and isn’t going anywhere.

A school like Georgetown when they fire Ewing should godfather offer Cooley that job.
He would make them decent again.

What an awesome atmosphere you got to witness and enjoy. From watching on TV, the Dunkin Center was rockin! I was really pulling for the Friars, as had they gotten that W last night, they probably win the Big East regular season, which would be their first ever.
It was a great atmosphere and my first non cuse dunk experience.

Still as good as the atmosphere was last night it comes no where near to what the dome is.

I think it would add to his ego to say, look who I got for everyone and all the fans. And he can be responsible for the next however many years of success with a guy like Few. Again, no one has it better than Few so it just depends if he wants to take on a challenge or stay super comfortable where he is
I just don't get why Few would consider leaving Gonzaga with where he has them now.

Perhaps. Though, I'd say that they last longer than any other ACC team sans Duke.

And, in regards to your 'Nova foul shooting comment; well, if Gillespie goes for his average last night, 17, vs. the season high 33 he got, it's likely a different ball game as well. So, there's that.
I also believe he’s the returning player of the year in the big East. I would think they would try to guard him. They had ZERO plan to defend him. The Providence guards were all clueless. That’s part of coaching.

Not saying Nova is amazing but as a middle of the pack ACC team, did you see what happened when we played them?

And all of those guys won elsewhere. Is Cooley John Wooden? No he's a really.good coach. Hed be even better at Syracuse.

Im not saying he will by any means. I’m saying he will be a name that is considered for the job
I'd prob amend that to, a name that SU folks would like to consider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom