Who to start

• Rex

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • The Officer

Votes: 53 59.6%
  • Burn it we goin bowling

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
What do you mean by “we don’t have the luxury”? Making a small time bowl at 6-6 or not this season, is not going to make or break anything in my opinion.
I've heard for years how important bowl games are...the extra practices have been discussed as important to the following year. Making a bowl could help with recruiting, excite the fan base to put more people in the seats next year, or other subtle impacts from a "small time bowl". What I mean by luxury is that we're not deep nor overwhelmingly talented like some programs that can sit a potential game winner because they have lots of talent in front of them. Dino wants to win NOW...like we all do. I just think he should be the one to determine who plays, not the fans that see a DeVito redshirt as critical to the success of the program. It's all moot because that decision has been made, but I personally see a bowl opportunity as more important than any one player's redshirt. DeVito may well be one of our two best quarterbacks and hope we have another superb qb recruit (or more) before DeVito is done playing at SU. We'd be well served to have QB controversies every year with multiple potential starters fighting to start for Dino's offense. In that vein, there's no time like the present...

Run both Mahoney and Rex out on the field to start the game. Mix it up. Let Mahoney be a run option. Keep 'em guessing.

I don't follow the logic here. Are you saying that if TD were to play today in an effort to become bowl eligible that Babers is leaving on his own or being fired? Are you saying we should not try to win games and make bowls so we can keep our coach, or that burning a redshirt trying to win will get him fired?
I'm saying we want Babers to play the long game, and 'shirting DeVito is the long game.

I want whomever gives us a chance to win. Not getting to a bowl will be a tough pill this year.

I want whomever gives us a chance to win. Not getting to a bowl will be a tough pill this year.
Preseason, absolutely.

But seeing how things developed? Nah.

I agree that not getting to a bowl game after that euphoric victory at home against Clemson getting us to 4-3 at that point is quite deflating. Losing at UM was disappointing, but based on how good they are this year, easy to digest. FSU, not so much. When we played them they were in a complete free fall and we blew it, I don't care how many 4* & 5* guys on their roster, their preceding game against BC was evidence they had pretty much quit on the season. Last week's implosion against Wake was simply brutal to watch...period! No way we beat UL today, especially without Dungey. So, indeed, it is and will be a very tough pill to swallow. :(

I heard that Mahoney was also in a boot this week

if you think he can win the game burn it. this is a program thing not a player thing.. he could still RS next yr and why worry about 4 yrs from now today.
TD is not getting redshirted, next year. He's taking over when Ed goes down, and he'll have other meaningful snaps, so he is 100% prepared for his starting role.

Cannot win with either. Kid was a walkon for a reason.

Too harsh, Bayside. This guy took #8 LSU and #1 Clemson deep into the fourth quarter when we were huge underdogs.

Mahoney doesn't have Dungeys signature wins, but he also has never lost to Middle Tennessee at home.

Last edited:
Start Mahoney. If things go sideways, go with the hothand approach

If my math is right, Syracuse hasn't had the same QB start all games in one season since 2012.

in 2013 Drew Allen started before Hunt took over. The rest of the seasons have been injuries.

If my math is right, Syracuse hasn't had the same QB start all games in one season since 2012.

in 2013 Drew Allen started before Hunt took over. The rest of the seasons have been injuries.

Drew Allen starting two games cost us the PSU game. Oh that Cigar Boy and his smart decisions. No QB depth plus two starting QBs(Hunt and Dungey) who run/ran a ton is a bad equation

And yes your math is correct

Is ED a no for real? Do we know this, or is this a hypothetical question?

His name is Zach Allen, but I often mistakenly think his name is Drew also. That's weird.

Actually his name is Drew. Drew was the transfer who came here from Oklahoma. Zach was the guy who verbally committed but then went to TCU when Marrone left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom