Edwards NBA | Syracusefan.com

Edwards NBA

He needs to get to 240 pounds first.
I look at guys like Stephen Zimmerman who was far far far more advanced that where Edwards will probably ever be here and he was a second round pick and got a cup of coffee. Jesse will make money, and while he’s so important for us and has done more than I ever thought he would, NBA is a pipe dream right now.

I probably started it in the game thread last night asking if he could start getting some looks. But I don't think he's going anywhere after this season and he's certainly not 1st round material. But he's near 7ft and pretty agile for a big fella with decent moves around the hoop. On a team with little to no NBA material, it'd be nice to be in the conversation again.

I probably started it in the game thread last night asking if he could start getting some looks. But I don't think he's going anywhere after this season and he's certainly not 1st round material. But he's near 7ft and pretty agile for a big fella with decent moves around the hoop. On a team with little to no NBA material, it'd be nice to be in the conversation again.
I saw your post and response to it, I don’t disagree that he’ll get looks from scouts etc etc, I just don’t see it. I don’t disagree with anything you said in your post, but there are guys who are his size and quicker/stronger. Look at a guy like Bol Bol, he’s in the league but he’s a human victory cigar and that kid is skilled in so many ways that Jesse never will be.

I actually think he has a shot. Not in terms of being drafted .. but in terms of growing his game to the point he could one day get on a roster .

Because he HASNT done something doesn’t mean he can’t . He has a decent handle for a 7 footer. He has a good shooting form and there is no reason to think he couldn’t expand his shooting outside if given the chance. He’s got really good hands and finishing skills around the basket…And he’s got the frame to get a lot stronger ..

Lastly .. as I have posted before .. I think he’s over 7 feet tall if you normalize true height for basketball listed heights ..

look at the leaps he’s made in just a year here ? A couple more years of similar leaps are not out of the question .

And I’m usually the guy to put a damper on guys NBA prospects

Needs to be consistent as a rim runner and able to finish above the rim. Consistent soft hands and able to improve his screening without giving up fluidly getting into attack mode for the rim.

He is adequate at getting the ball after the double on a P5 level, but would need to improve that (he won't ever be Draymond, but he still needs to get quicker in decision making).

And he prob needs to get stronger/add some weight.

No idea if he'll get to the point of being drafted and I'm not sure his *true* measurements, but I think the framework is there to build upon to get a look.

Needs to be consistent as a rim runner and able to finish above the rim.
He had one dunk last night where we saw what happens when he leaps straight up with everything he has an extends his arm. I actually said "holy crap" out loud when I saw how high his arm was at the peak.

I don't think there's a question Edwards is on the NBA radar. I'm certain they're aware of him. TBD what his true potential is as an NBA player. But the odds he can achieve something at that level are greater than zero.

He had one dunk last night where we saw what happens when he leaps straight up with everything he has an extends his arm. I actually said "holy crap" out loud when I saw how high his arm was at the peak.

I don't think there's a question Edwards is on the NBA radar. I'm certain they're aware of him. TBD what his true potential is as an NBA player. But the odds he can achieve something at that level are greater than zero.
That was Hak “like”.

In his draft interviews he might be impressive

NBA Team - "The expectations for defence from NBA centers has changed. How do your view ability to defend in space, including out to three point line"
Edwards - "My coach expected me to protect the middle and to guard the corner 3's. So you can say that I was asked to cover a lot of space."

NBA Team - "The expectations for defence from NBA centers has changed. How do your view ability to defend in space, including out to three point line"
Edwards - "My coach expected me to protect the middle and to guard the corner 3's. So you can say that I was asked to cover a lot of space."
NBA Team - how do you handle criticism?

JE - my coach literally blamed me for everything that went wrong at every post-game presser, and I still kept a smile on my face

Spacing?

The only obstacle i see is his weight. Kid has it all in terms of physical attributes, real long, good hops and what i call quick hops so its even hard to attempt a fake & up strong.

The only obstacle i see is his weight. Kid has it all in terms of physical attributes, real long, good hops and what i call quick hops so its even hard to attempt a fake & up strong.
Chet Holmgren is a projected lottery pick. He’s one inch taller than Jesse and weighs 35lbs less.

Jesse has the frame to put on more weight, that’s all that matters for the NBA.

Chet Holmgren is a projected lottery pick. He’s one inch taller than Jesse and weighs 35lbs less.

Jesse has the frame to put on more weight, that’s all that matters for the NBA.
Lol. Ridiculous example to bring up. An uber skilled kid that is the #1 kid in the class that can lead the break, shoot 3s and put a lid on the hoop.

Edwards is a coordinated 6'11 skinny kid with limited experience that is getting better and better but he's a long ways away from anything the NBA would be interested in. Can he get there? Perhaps.

There is a 100% chance that Edwards will be able to play for pay somewhere after this season is over, if he so chooses.

I'm sure he could get a good gig overseas, particularly with his background, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he could sneak into the draft in the second round. I really hope he comes back but the reality is that he will have options/opportunities this summer if he wants to pursue them.

I think the weight thing re: NBA isn't as much of an issue as it used to be - he'd be instantly put on a professional, tailored weight training program (and/or roided up or whatever it is that NBA teams do to turn these kids into the behemoths you see in the league these days).

I actually think he has a shot. Not in terms of being drafted .. but in terms of growing his game to the point he could one day get on a roster .

Because he HASNT done something doesn’t mean he can’t . He has a decent handle for a 7 footer. He has a good shooting form and there is no reason to think he couldn’t expand his shooting outside if given the chance. He’s got really good hands and finishing skills around the basket…And he’s got the frame to get a lot stronger ..

Lastly .. as I have posted before .. I think he’s over 7 feet tall if you normalize true height for basketball listed heights ..

look at the leaps he’s made in just a year here ? A couple more years of similar leaps are not out of the question .

And I’m usually the guy to put a damper on guys NBA prospects

I agree -- given his mobility, I don't think it is unreasonable at all to suggest that he has NBA potential.

Needs to refine his skills a bit more and add some good weight. But I certainly would NOT rule out him being in the NBA down the road.

No idea about draft potential, etc. -- but players with his athleticism and ability to run the floor don't grow on trees. The tools are there. Needs to bring his skill level up to the level of his athleticism.

If Mitchell Robinson can play in NBA so will Edwards . He will get the opportunity
As a Knicks fan, this is exactly who came to mind for me as well in this thread

Edwards is a very long, athletic European that’s only been playing organized hoops for 4 years. The NBA loves to take 2nd round fliers on guys like that.

If he continues to improve, he could sneak into the first round by 2023.
2nd round Euro stash.

Agreed.

He's got to add 20 lbs of muscle he gets thrown around too often. And the ball gets pulled out of his hands.

If he gets to the NBA he'll be a bench player at best.

He has to stay and work on his game - speed, moves in the low post, develop at least some kind of dependable shot whether basic hook or turn around put back. Work on his best skill, his leap, and anticipate where the ball is going off the rim, (Gerry can do this in practice shooting not just from the three but in close over and over and over), eventually he will get to know the balls direction. Get a somewhat antagonistic attitude beneath the basket but not so much as to foul constantly, but don't let the opponent beat you.

He does this plus the weight he gets better and people look more closely. If he stays and does the work it will better for him. The key words being, STAY AND PUT IN THE WORK.

I look at Brisset who seemingly regressed a little from frosh to soph year. Was good at driving and getting fouled as he uncontrollably threw the ball at the hoop, rarely getting the and 1. Good rebounder, below average 3 and decent defense. I doubted his decision, but look at him now.

It's all a crap shoot. Kids got measurable and work ethic. Anything is possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom