Empty dome... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Empty dome...

In the year 2013 in most sports and most towns "blind loyalty" is dead. The fans will show up when the team wins on a consistent basis. SU hasn't won on a consistent basis in decades. Hence this is what you get.
Very good points and keep in mind that this IS new York state. Voted the single worse place to run a business...50th out of 50. Thank you Mario's son and most of all...Sheldon Silver!

Very good points and keep in mind that this IS new York state. Voted the single worse place to run a business...50th out of 50. Thank you Mario's son and most of all...Sheldon Silver!
Agree that the economy plays a factor too. Past 30 years look at all the jobs that have left. New Venture Gear...gone. Carrier ...gone. GM...gone. GE...gone. Miller...gone!!! Lockhead and Budweiser about to be GONE!

Nobody showed up for St Francis...and it was close down to the last two minutes...but we are a basketball town right?

We're in the top 5 for attendance every year. You clearly do not know what you're talking about...

The university does nothing to market football. The team is boring to watch on offense and ineffective in there execution the vast majority of the time. And years and years of embarrassing losses has taken its toll on the casual football fan in this area.

In fact I'm pretty sure the number "casual football fans" in the city of Syracuse is very small...extremely small at this point. Many people have given up. You will get a good crowd for your 1 home game a year vs either Clemson or FSU...and what do ya see? A team get blown out and the players in the middle of the blowout dancing in the middle of the field to the music and celebrating tackles when down by 35pts. If the players don't care how can you expect fans to pay money to go and care?

I was at the game today and it was sad to the point of embarrassing. I don't blame fans for no going anymore, but the University has nobody but to blame but themselves. The product sucks the majority of the time, the customer service sucks, and they do nothing to try and improve things marketing wise. They get what they deserve.

Would love for people to get their head out of the sand...we're a middle of the pack BCS program - which considering our talent limitations and staff changes is pretty good . We lost a one point game to a school that beat Notre Dame the week before.

Billboards don't change the product. Those $99 seasons looked pretty empty today.

We're in the top 5 for attendance every year. You clearly do not know what you're talking about...

Yeah until we have an NIT game ... went to a few in the dome ... pathetic attendance.

Yeah until we have an NIT game ... went to a few in the dome ... pathetic attendance.

To be fair NIT games anywhere are sparsely attended...and we did have an NIT game where we had 26,000.

To be fair NIT games anywhere are sparsely attended...and we did have an NIT game where we had 26,000.

I was at the FSU debacle ... 9K would be generous ... I had floor seats for the only time in my history of going to games there ... lets not paint this fanbase as anything other then fair weather ... because that is exactly what they are.

My point is that im tired of hearing about basketball. Outside of Duke cuse and a few other. No one really cares that much..ask clemson or fsu about there bball teams...

I was at the FSU debacle ... 9K would be generous ... I had floor seats for the only time in my history of going to games there ... lets not paint this fanbase as anything other then fair weather ... because that is exactly what they are.

So one NIT game trumps all the other big crowds? Fortunately Syracuse hoops has been consistently good so we have not had to worry about crowd size in losing seasons. Prior to that 9K NIT game I bet SU was getting around 20K or so every night even in a mediocre season...and going back to my original point to say nobody in Syracuse cares about college basket ball until March is foolish.

So one NIT game trumps all the other big crowds? Fortunately Syracuse hoops has been consistently good so we have not had to worry about crowd size in losing seasons. Prior to that 9K NIT game I bet SU was getting around 20K or so every night even in a mediocre season...and going back to my original point to say nobody in Syracuse cares about college basket ball until March is foolish.
Ncaa=football. Football brings the $

My point is that im tired of hearing about basketball. Outside of Duke cuse and a few other. No one really cares that much..ask clemson or fsu about there bball teams...
They'd care about them if they were good, just like the Dome would be rocking for football if we were good. All factors aside, that's really what it all boils down to.

They'd care about them if they were good, just like the Dome would be rocking for football if we were good. All factors aside, that's really what it all boils down to.
I could not agree more, well played

No they weren't, I had seasons and they didn't average 20K that season ...

Nobody showed up for St Francis...and it was close down to the last two minutes...but we are a basketball town right?

We'll lead the nation in attendance. Lil ole mid size city Syracuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't disagree...just saying the hoops fan base is one of the best in the country

yes it is right now. but if for some horrible reason when JB retires we have back to back losing seasons, or god forbid we are put on probation, you can bet the bottom will fall out of our attendance. and all those young kids wearing their Orange shirts claiming to be die hards will disappear.

In the year 2013 in most sports and most towns "blind loyalty" is dead. The fans will show up when the team wins on a consistent basis. SU hasn't won on a consistent basis in decades. Hence this is what you get.

Please.Just.Go.Away

Wow this is sad. Maybe 28000 actually here? What

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk
Special teams D
Kicking D
Offense D
Coaching D
Fans D

Defense A

People want to see FB and. Chance to see their team win. The above is reason they don't show up. The defense plays tough and the rest of the crew just hands the ball over to the other team to win.

I know there are a lot of no-show season ticket holders in these early OOC games, so let's say there were 15k actual asses in the seats. Still a bigger crowd than 95% of D-1 hoops.

Please.Just.Go.Away

I'm not sure what Stern said there that you're taking offense to - he pretty much nailed it. Win and fans will show up. Which is why I don't really get the segment of the fan base that wants the school to spend money on billboards, radio and TV ads, and setting up a carnival in the Quad at every football game. If I had limited funds and had to choose between billboards and, say, and IPF - I know where I'd put my money.

There's no way to market Syracuse football right now - theres just not enough lipstick for this pig.

Nobody wants to see SU play Wagner, horrible product...no wait can't go to Tulane, not good enough. Pitt...too average. Clemson... too good, we'll get killed. It's never enough or fit that circle just perfect. Face it, SU has 25K loyals and they have to win to bump that fickle crowd up and that goes across the board for the whole northeast, this isn't just a Syracuse area person not showing up. It's embarrassing.

Lets be honest here, Syracuse fans epitomize fair weather/bandwagon fans. People will show up for big events or winning teams but are no where to be found when things get a little dicey. I understand the frustration with the football team, but you would think there would be some more enthusiasm being our first season in the ACC. Even the basketball games, look at the poor attendance of midnight madness and the St. Francis game. We are a top 10 team with excellent success in the past few years and we are not drawing all that well for those two events. People will say the St. Francis attendance was 23,000, but people at the game say that wasn't even close because its tickets sold not people showing up. Its just frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom