End of year team assessment | Syracusefan.com

End of year team assessment

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
OK, now that the season is over, we can look back objectively at the season to rate the team's "total body of work" to assess how they stacked up overall and vs. past teams.

At various points during the season, there were threads discussing the team with mid-stream comparisons to the past. There was a wide range of assessments at that time from at least mildly optimistic to this is the worse team in many years.

For me, the team obviously had weaknesses and was head scratching at times. But it also had talent, albeit latent and undeveloped at times, and they underwent tumultuous periods and distractions during the season. Basically, it took all season to come together and for that talent to shine in the NCAAT. They benefited from not having to play MSU, but their grit and perseverance took an OK or decent in-season team and made them a contender. Some of their weaknesses showed again last night against UNC, but that glimmer of determination again came through at least briefly with that 10-0 run in the 2nd half. For me, this team will give me lasting memories to a group of young men who overcame lots of adversity and moved forward as a unified team to make it to the FF. That has to count for a lot in this total season. Congrats players and coaches.

What do you all think now that the season is over?

Always sad when the season is over, and I no longer have a Syracuse bball game to watch. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with what this team accomplished in the past few weeks, and very excited for next year, lets pray Malachi comes back.

OK, now that the season is over, we can look back objectively at the season to rate the team's "total body of work" to assess how they stacked up overall and vs. past teams.

At various points during the season, there were threads discussing the team with mid-stream comparisons to the past. There was a wide range of assessments at that time from at least mildly optimistic to this is the worse team in many years.

For me, the team obviously had weaknesses and was head scratching at times. But it also had talent, albeit latent and undeveloped at times, and they underwent tumultuous periods and distractions during the season. Basically, it took all season to come together and for that talent to shine in the NCAAT. They benefited from not having to play MSU, but their grit and perseverance took an OK or decent in-season team and made them a contender. Some of their weaknesses showed again last night against UNC, but that glimmer of determination again came through at least briefly with that 10-0 run in the 2nd half. For me, this team will give me lasting memories to a group of young men who overcame lots of adversity and moved forward as a unified team to make it to the FF. That has to count for a lot in this total season. Congrats players and coaches.

What do you all think now that the season is over?

Don't see how you can grade them less than "A".. Expectations were low and they made the FF. Nuff said!

Don't see how you can grade them less than "A".. Expectations were low and they made the FF. Nuff said!

The OP asked about "total body of work."

Personally, i don't know how to rate them in a combined assessment. I can't, though, see how we could rate the performance at higher than a "C" for the regular season. Finishing 10th in the conference just isn't good. Not that i blame the players. They did all they could, but we didn't have the horses to compete in too many games against really good competition. For the tournament, absolutely an A. We only had to play one 'top flight' team, although Gonzaga was better than their seeding, probably. But, either way, we can only beat who they put in front of us, and if people want to take Michigan State's non-game away from us, they have to take it away from Michigan State for not earning the opportunity to beat us.

So, overall, a B. But, a B "ascending."

ZZ, not sure I meant total body I guess, just wanted to consider the whole season before seeing how to rate them. If this was a college class, the team had a C or so going into the final exam (NCAAT), but aced the final (despite the FF loss)! That always pleases the teacher (Jimmy B in this case).

ZZ, not sure I meant total body I guess, just wanted to consider the whole season before seeing how to rate them. If this was a college class, the team had a C or so going into the final exam (NCAAT), but aced the final (despite the FF loss)! That always pleases the teacher (Jimmy B in this case).

I figure most of us are willing to accept the run to the Final Four as a tremendous finish to a couple of up and down years. Everyone likes it when a team that's under-manned, under-skilled and widely unloved (except by us, of course) goes off on a run like this one. The only real regret I have is that Rak wasn't part of the run. But as I've always said, remember to focus on the positive, and I'm proud of 'em for never mailing it in, and for leaving us with something to look forward to.

I figured they'd have the regular season they had based on the talent we had so I'd give the regular season an A as they played to their capabilities.

Post season minus the Pitt game I don't think there is a scale for a letter grade. A+++++++++++

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom