enjoy dion's last 6 home games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

enjoy dion's last 6 home games

I'm a huge Fab Melo fan but I just feel like he needs one more year in college. He's still very foul-prone. He needs to work on his offensive game. I'm actually kind of nervous that the attention Syracuse is getting at the moment and the attention that comes with going far in the tournament will make him feel like he has completely "arrived." I don't think Fab should leave even if we make it to a Final Four this year.

Btw I'm really excited to see the Fab Melo-Andre Drummond matchup when we play UConn.

Btw I'm really excited to see the Fab Melo-Andre Drummond matchup when we play UConn.

I can't wait for this match-up. If Fab dominates Drummond, that will say a lot about how ready he is for the Pros. Fab is a true 7 footer with great shot blocking skills. He is likely to be a mid-first round pick at the worst. Dion is ready to make the jump and is unlikely to gain much in draft stock by returning to Syracuse for one more year.

They are both likely to leave after this season, but that just clears the way for MCW, Cooney, Christmas and Coleman. This is the current state of college basketball. The really talented players usually stay for one or two seasons max. I just hope Dion and Fab leave with a National Championship!

Coming back 1 season and showing improvement but not showing the "expected improvement" actually hurts you. See Kyle Singler

Kyle Singler would have been better off churning butter at Colonial Willamsburg. That authentic peasant girl look is hard to come by and could have paid really well.
:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, check out this site below.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Fab-Melo-5715/stats/

They have Fab as the 2nd pick in the 2nd Round of the 2013 Draft. I don't think leaving after this year would be the best "basketball" decision for him. I think of someone like Etan Thomas in a case like this. Fab obviously has the "size" advantage, but he still has some way to go on defense (e.g. fouls) and a long way to go on offense. Etan had a respectable NBA career and I see Fab having close to the same, but he still needs the improvement at this level. He's still pretty much trying to learn some basketball basics and in the NBA, they're not going to want to deal with that or will only for so long.

Dion and Fabricio would both be better served coming back another year. Doesn't mean they will, though.

Dion is 98/2 to go, Fab 50/50, Rak 25/75.

Sent from my DROIDX

drummond is better than melo right now, and he is like 2-3 years younger. the only thing to look forward to is whether or not fab can avaoid being embarrased.

Why would u post this? Do you know a single thing about his financial situation?

Well. Fab's folks ain't broke, I can assure you of that.

With all due respect, I fail to see how playing at Syracuse is better for his development than is having unlimited practice time, access to professional coaches, and access to the best competition in the world. quote]

Ask Omar Cook. He can explain it to you.

With all due respect, I fail to see how playing at Syracuse is better for his development than is having unlimited practice time, access to professional coaches, and access to the best competition in the world. The only area Syracuse trumps the NBA as far as development goes is probably playing time (albeit against far inferior competition). As SeattleCuse said, it's up to Fab really how hard he works to improve outside the games. From what I've seen, work ethic isn't a problem. You dont drop 30-40 lbs in one offseason without dedication. I also don't really buy that he's going to magically jump 1 round by coming back. That tends to not be how this process works. Especially with respect to big men, potential is what you're drafted on, and perceived potential only declines with age. Coming back 1 season and showing improvement but not showing the "expected improvement" actually hurts you. See Kyle Singler, Josh McRoberts, etc. Probably would be better off with that guaranteed first deal.
i think people overestimate the amount of developmental coaching that happens at the NBA level. they are trying to win games, their jobs depend on it. they arent trying to develop skills for the worst player on a team. they travel a ton and prepare for games, that's it.

drummond is better than melo right now, and he is like 2-3 years younger. the only thing to look forward to is whether or not fab can avaoid being embarrased.

lol que?

Drummond is awful. He's like Fab last season, shows some flashes. But looks lost most of the time. Fab will dominate him, just like Pope did. PS Fab dominated Pope. ;)

lol que?

Drummond is awful. He's like Fab last season, shows some flashes. But looks lost most of the time. Fab will dominate him, just like Pope did. PS Fab dominated Pope. ;)

I hate UCONN as much as anyone but have you seen any of their games? The last time I tuned into a UCONN game I saw Drummond dribble the ball the length of the court WHILE ON A FAST BREAK and dunk on the other end (beating two defenders to the hoop). Melo will probably never be able to do that.

Right now it can be argued that Melo is better on defense, but Drummond is way ahead of last year's Melo. Should be a good defense vs offense match-up.

Yeah, I've heard this too. Hopefully he's receptive to good advice from coaches, alumni, and mothers.
One wonders as Feb-Mar approaches, and the 2nd semester D's and F's roll in, how much "easier" the NBA decision becomes. That's the part of the equation we never see.

One wonders as Feb-Mar approaches, and the 2nd semester D's and F's roll in, how much "easier" the NBA decision becomes. That's the part of the equation we never see.

Or, I fear (and this is just speculation based on behavior of past SU players), the second semester "He hasn't been to class since late January" reports roll in.

That's been the deciding factor in the past.

The problem with Fab is his ability to engage in appropriate reality checking. When he came to SU last year he thought that he would be numero uno ... afterall that's what everybody told him ... despite his limited experience with hoops at all. He was the big fish in a fairly little pond in Florida. He failed miserably. Under JB and staff's tutelage and his own efforts he has started to become a force for SU. The problem will be people telling him how wonderful he would be in the NBA making the big bucks ... that his family does need. But he is entering the pros after only starting to develop the skills he needso be successful and not collect bench splinters or having to learn a new language in Europe or Asia or whereever. I won't say he couldn't be successful and if he decides to go I do wish him well. But he has so much more to learn and skills to develop to be really a successful pro. I am sure that JB will counsel him well.

As far as Dion goes he has the skills and the IQ. JB has all but said that Dion is ready ... that there is nothing else that he can learn. Selfishly I hope his Aunt and Momma have a nice fireside chat with him and convince him to stay in school.

its a show we probably wont see for a long time. he'll be a very high pick. hopefully fab will be convinced to stay. at this point , its a heavy lean the other way.

Win the title and everything else is secondary.

Well maybe this opens a door for Nerlens Noel. If he reclassifies...

I hate UCONN as much as anyone but have you seen any of their games? The last time I tuned into a UCONN game I saw Drummond dribble the ball the length of the court WHILE ON A FAST BREAK and dunk on the other end (beating two defenders to the hoop). Melo will probably never be able to do that.

Right now it can be argued that Melo is better on defense, but Drummond is way ahead of last year's Melo. Should be a good defense vs offense match-up.

Dion is 98/2 to go, Fab 50/50, Rak 25/75.

Sent from my DROIDX

Bees, would say a first round guarantee would be the measuring stick by which each decides?

If we win the title everyone can leave, I don't care. Syracuse at this point will reload. That is what elite programs do, sure we will be down a bit next year but we lose KJ and Scoop as well. The recruiting at this point is a machine. The better it gets the shorter some of these kids will be here.

I still don't see as Dion as a high first rounder, due to his tweener status but What do I know.

We also need another title...

i still think we get dion one more year-
there is big money waiting-could play himself into the lottery

One of the weakest draft classes in memory. He would be smart to bail this year and strike while the iron is hot... he is no lock for the lottery, but he should go somewhere between 14-22 for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom