enjoy dion's last 6 home games | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

enjoy dion's last 6 home games

How many 6th men can you remember who left early for the NBA draft and becam a lottery pick? Marvin Williams in 2005 is the last one I remember and that was when UNC won it all. I think Dion could become a lottery pick, but he'll need to lead us to the FF and beyond, IMO. I think if he stays one more year, he could turn into a Dwayne Wade type of player. He needs more time to develop his outside shot and needs to be "the guy" before he'll be considered a lottery pick.

Well maybe this opens a door for Nerlens Noel. If he reclassifies...
I don't think that we are meant for Noel either ... I'll say UK b/c he wants a one-and-done and that fits UK better.

lol que?

Drummond is awful. He's like Fab last season, shows some flashes. But looks lost most of the time. Fab will dominate him, just like Pope did. PS Fab dominated Pope. ;)

Drummond is a beast. Almost automatic within 10 feet of the basket. Fab will have his hands full.

How many 6th men can you remember who left early for the NBA draft and becam a lottery pick? Marvin Williams in 2005 is the last one I remember and that was when UNC won it all. I think Dion could become a lottery pick, but he'll need to lead us to the FF and beyond, IMO. I think if he stays one more year, he could turn into a Dwayne Wade type of player. He needs more time to develop his outside shot and needs to be "the guy" before he'll be considered a lottery pick.

Aside from the fact that he doesn't officially start, what about Dion makes you think he's just a sixth man?

Aside from the fact that he doesn't officially start, what about Dion makes you think he's just a sixth man?
Exactly ... he plays more minutes than almost any of the starters. As JB says Dion likes to watch the game before he goes in.

Been lurking here for awhile, but I just don't see Waiters being a lottery pick at this moment. If he dominates in March, then maybe his stock will rise, but in a draft as loaded as this one, I just don't see a 6'3" SG with average ball handling and shooting ability being enough to warrant a lottery pick. I think Fab would probably be drafted ahead of Waiters honestly, simply for the fact that he's a 7 footer, appears to be one of the best defensive centers in the country, and has a decent feel on the offensive end (albeit with a very limited offensive skillset at the moment).

Exactly ... he plays more minutes than almost any of the starters. As JB says Dion likes to watch the game before he goes in.

True, but no matter how you look at it, Dion doesn't play typical starter minutes. I agree that on our team he plays more minutes than most of the starters, but he still only averages 22 minutes/game. How many recent lottery picks have only played 22 minutes/game?

If Fab can get drafted in the first round, he should go.

We will be fine down low next year with DC, Baye and Rak.

I would take another year of Fab. I think he needs it, personally. Next year, he will be a mid 1st round pick. This year, I don't think he cracks the first round.

Been lurking here for awhile, but I just don't see Waiters being a lottery pick at this moment. If he dominates in March, then maybe his stock will rise, but in a draft as loaded as this one, I just don't see a 6'3" SG with average ball handling and shooting ability being enough to warrant a lottery pick. I think Fab would probably be drafted ahead of Waiters honestly, simply for the fact that he's a 7 footer, appears to be one of the best defensive centers in the country, and has a decent feel on the offensive end (albeit with a very limited offensive skillset at the moment).

Well, the draft doesn't take place "at this moment" - it takes place in June. If we make the Final Four, Dion will be an All-American and will go mid-1st round.

With all due respect, I fail to see how playing at Syracuse is better for his development than is having unlimited practice time, access to professional coaches, and access to the best competition in the world. The only area Syracuse trumps the NBA as far as development goes is probably playing time (albeit against far inferior competition). As SeattleCuse said, it's up to Fab really how hard he works to improve outside the games. From what I've seen, work ethic isn't a problem. You dont drop 30-40 lbs in one offseason without dedication. I also don't really buy that he's going to magically jump 1 round by coming back. That tends to not be how this process works. Especially with respect to big men, potential is what you're drafted on, and perceived potential only declines with age. Coming back 1 season and showing improvement but not showing the "expected improvement" actually hurts you. See Kyle Singler, Josh McRoberts, etc. Probably would be better off with that guaranteed first deal.

Because, with all due respect, the NBA isn't that big on taking raw kids and spending a ton of time developing them. Those days ended when they stopped picking HS kids in the draft (and after so many of those kids proved too immature and weren't ready for the lifestyle as much as the competition). That's what the D League is for.

Dion is 98/2 to go, Fab 50/50, Rak 25/75.

Sent from my DROIDX

Rak ?? Unless he's going to Europe, he isn't going anywhere.

Average ball handling skills? really? Dion! That is a shocking opinion from my perspective.

Dion is one of tjhe best 5 guards in college right now (maybe better than that) and has shown enough passing ability to keep GM's from being worried about him at the point. His shooting gets better all the time. He's 36% from three and 55% from the floor which includes floaters and pull ups. His handle is top notch and he's been great defensively this year. He has that attacking attitute on both ends.

He is top 15 right now IMO and will move into the top10 by the end of the season.

Average ball handling skills? really? Dion! That is a shocking opinion from my perspective.

Dion is one of tjhe best 5 guards in college right now (maybe better than that) and has shown enough passing ability to keep GM's from being worried about him at the point. His shooting gets better all the time. He's 36% from three and 55% from the floor which includes floaters and pull ups. His handle is top notch and he's been great defensively this year. He has that attacking attitute on both ends.

He is top 15 right now IMO and will move into the top10 by the end of the season.
agreed on all points.

its a show we probably wont see for a long time. he'll be a very high pick. hopefully fab will be convinced to stay. at this point , its a heavy lean the other way.

This (presumably) insider info is fine, but don't think for a moment that you're casting long-awaited morsels of truths to desperate masses.

Everyone already knew that Dion wanted go pro after this year because that info was leaked pre-season. Also, it's already accepted (or it should be) that Fab is strongly leaning toward going pro. That much was made clear by Dajuan Coleman's commitment. DC2 would not have committed to Syracuse if he thought he would most likely be coming off the bench as a Freshman. Remember, a friend of DC2's was quoted in a PS article as saying that DC2 wanted to move on to the pros as soon as he could. It's not like DC2 is coming in with the long-term approach.

Somebody responded to me that Dion has no handle???!! Given BT, Dion, Scoop,and MCW ... Dion has the best handle with Scoop second. He's been shooting eyes out, generally... from the 3, from inside the arc, and driving. He leads in steals; good in assists and passing; and actually has few turnovers. I'm not sure what games you are watching but... and it doesn't matter that he is coming off the bench ... when he has as many or more mpg than most of the starters. He is 2nd leading scorer and when he is in the game obviously JB's team leader. Other than that you are probably right ... he is not ready for the NBA... and I agree w/ Jordoo, Dion is easily one of the top 5 guards in the country with the best overall skills ... some can shoot; some can assist/pass; some can drive to the basket ... Dion can do it all.

Again I agree with Jordoo (this is getting to be a bad habit) he is easily top 15 NBA pick right now and if he continues as he is playing and SU runs deep he will easily go in the top 10.

Somebody responded to me that Dion has no handle???!! Given BT, Dion, Scoop,and MCW ... Dion has the best handle with Scoop second. He's been shooting eyes out, generally... from the 3, from inside the arc, and driving. He leads in steals; good in assists and passing; and actually has few turnovers. I'm not sure what games you are watching but... and it doesn't matter that he is coming off the bench ... when he has as many or more mpg than most of the starters. He is 2nd leading scorer and when he is in the game obviously JB's team leader. Other than that you are probably right ... he is not ready for the NBA... and I agree w/ Jordoo, Dion is easily one of the top 5 guards in the country with the best overall skills ... some can shoot; some can assist/pass; some can drive to the basket ... Dion can do it all.

Again I agree with Jordoo (this is getting to be a bad habit) he is easily top 15 NBA pick right now and if he continues as he is playing and SU runs deep he will easily go in the top 10.

I love Dion and I think he would be a 1st round pick if he left after this year. I just don't know if he's a lottery pick. He's a smaller shooting guard and I don't know if you draft one of those with such a high pick.

One of the weakest draft classes in memory. He would be smart to bail this year and strike while the iron is hot... he is no lock for the lottery, but he should go somewhere between 14-22 for sure.

Haha soooo not true. All the analysts are saying that this has the potential to be one of the best draft classes in recent memory, especially with players like Perry Jones, Sullinger, Barnes, and Jeremy Lamb all deciding to come back to school. I do agree with the 14-22 draft slot.

The announcer for the Villanova game (Fraschilla?) said that Dion will be a better pro than college player.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Dion is a 6'3 shooting guard right?

Playing great for us - obviously a talented player, but in terms of NBA, I don't see him as a first-round lock this year. If he leaves - all the best to him, but he needs to add another dimension to secure the guaranteed money.

Fab is 7 ft - so whatever - if he can tie his shoes he'll play 8-10 years.

I agree with the Fab assessment. As for Dion I truly feel that he is better than Doron Lamb of Kentucky right now. This doesn't mean too much but Lamb has been mentioned as a first round lock and Dion is at the very least just as good as him, meaning that Dion is a 1st round lock as well.

Can someone tell me who Anthony Davis and John Henson are going to guard in the NBA? The thought makes me shudder.

The only reason Fab might leave after this year is because of the lack of true Center's in the draft this year. Next year's draft is a bit more competitive at the position. I could see a team like the Magic taking Fab first round because they're gonna need a young true Center soon and Daniel Orton hasn't really panned out.

Can someone tell me who Anthony Davis and John Henson are going to guard in the NBA? The thought makes me shudder.

Haha I agree but Davis is still growing into his body. Everyone thinks he's gonna turn into a Kevin Garnett type of player. I think right now they could both turn into people who could guard players like Kevin Durant.

The shine wears off players the longer they stay in college, and thankfully the players get that.

The NBA is Kruger. Go out on a high note, leave them wanting more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom