Ennis And Grant | Syracusefan.com

Ennis And Grant

wadegarrett

Walk On
I just wanted to make a post to wish these guys the best at the next level. I hope they have a successful professional career and I will be rooting for them along the way. Yea it sucks they left early, but remember they chose to come to Syracuse and, as a fan, I am grateful for that. They could have easily shot us down and went to another school.

They will have a great opportunity next year to develop and improve their game (look at MCW this year). Being a player will be a full-time job and they will have plenty of resources to make them a better player. If these guys don't "make it" in the NBA, its not going to be because they didn't stay another year in college. It's going to be because they simply are not NBA players.

If I was a lock for the 1st round I would personally leave. I completely understand why they are all doing it these days and you can't blame them. Get my money while I'm worth something because when I'm 35, my playing career is pretty much over. Every year counts. If I don't make the NBA, I'll go overseas and make 200k a year. I can always finish my education later if I want.

We will be fine next year. Players always step up. I'm excited to see our players develop and improve throughout the season. Watch out in March. LGO

Great! Keep posting stuff like that and Cooney, Buss, Roberson, and Rak will be signing agents today too! We won't have anyone at all to suit up come October! ;)

I've got to be honest, when a guy leaves SU after one season where we don't make the 2nd weekend of the ncaat, I'm kind of ambivalent about his career. I'm not wishing him ill will, just that he's no different than a transfer in my eyes. Into the bin with Rock Lloyd, Dayshaun Wright, et al. Thanks for stopping by and giving us some brief thrills, but you won't make my top 100 list of memorable SU players because in the grand scheme, you accomplished very little here. He's kind of like a co-worker who you really like to work alongside of, but they leave after 6 months. It's too short of a timeframe to develop any real attachment or lasting good feelings about.

dollarbill44 said:
I've got to be honest, when a guy leaves SU after one season where we don't make the 2nd weekend of the ncaat, I'm kind of ambivalent about his career. I'm not wishing him ill will, just that he's no different than a transfer in my eyes. Into the bin with Rock Lloyd, Dayshaun Wright, et al. Thanks for stopping by and giving us some brief thrills, but you won't make my top 100 list of memorable SU players because in the grand scheme, you accomplished very little here. He's kind of like a co-worker who you really like to work alongside of, but they leave after 6 months. It's too short of a timeframe to develop any real attachment or lasting good feelings about.

Agree. Ennis went from being 1 of my all time favs to someone who i don't really care about 1 way or the other. Great frosh year, his team collapsed down the stretch, misses 2 game winning shots in 2nd round of tourney, bolts for the nba. See ya tyler.

I just wanted to make a post to wish these guys the best at the next level. I hope they have a successful professional career and I will be rooting for them along the way. Yea it sucks they left early, but remember they chose to come to Syracuse and, as a fan, I am grateful for that. They could have easily shot us down and went to another school.

They will have a great opportunity next year to develop and improve their game (look at MCW this year). Being a player will be a full-time job and they will have plenty of resources to make them a better player. If these guys don't "make it" in the NBA, its not going to be because they didn't stay another year in college. It's going to be because they simply are not NBA players.

If I was a lock for the 1st round I would personally leave. I completely understand why they are all doing it these days and you can't blame them. Get my money while I'm worth something because when I'm 35, my playing career is pretty much over. Every year counts. If I don't make the NBA, I'll go overseas and make 200k a year. I can always finish my education later if I want.

We will be fine next year. Players always step up. I'm excited to see our players develop and improve throughout the season. Watch out in March. LGO
Don't disagree with anything you said but the change from student athlete to athlete student lessons my enthusiasm.

Simple fix to all of this, NBA and NCAA come to an agreement not allowing 1 and dones. This goes back to that ole adage, don't hate the player hate the game.

Agree. Ennis went from being 1 of my all time favs to someone who i don't really care about 1 way or the other. Great frosh year, his team collapsed down the stretch, misses 2 game winning shots in 2nd round of tourney, bolts for the nba. See ya tyler.
I have no problem with a player leaving, but doesn't it seem like the bar for leaving early gets lower each year? You used to have to post amazing stats (Durant, Beasley), or have great tourney success. These two had neither.

Really! So you're pissed that Grant & Ennis left. You have stated it Ad Nauseum all over this board. The OP posts a thank you as an SU fan (good post, by the way!) And, you can't resist another dig at a couple of kids who gave their all for your entertainment for 2 & 1 yr, respectively!!!

Shame on some of you. I feel disgusted, as an SU fan, to count you amongst us fans. Oh LordOh LordOh Lord

Flame away, as I know you will. But think first, before you need to post on every positive thread about how selfish you really are.

Simple fix to all of this, NBA and NCAA come to an agreement not allowing 1 and dones. This goes back to that ole adage, don't hate the player hate the game.
Why should there be any rule, other than top make (predominately white) college basketball fans happy and provide the NBA with a no cost farm system while keeping (predominately black) players from trying to earn a living in their chosen field.

Your rule is not a problem if YOU WANT TO REQUIRE ALL 18 year olds to go to college before going to work. Otherwise your motivation is selfish, at best.

I have no problem with a player leaving, but doesn't it seem like the bar for leaving early gets lower each year? You used to have to post amazing stats (Durant, Beasley), or have great tourney success. These two had neither.
Why should a) there be any bar, or b) should anyone care.

Great post and I agree with all of it except for the oversees 200k and then going back to school. By the time they are done with their careers tuition will be over 200k so hopefully they'll be able to afford it!

Don't disagree with anything you said but the change from student athlete to athlete student lessons my enthusiasm.
You have blinders on if you think that basketball and football players have been student athletes for any part of the last half century. Rean Dave Meggesy's "Out of their league." Even in the late 50's early 60's, SU players were getting paid on the side and allowed to cut corners. The tide is finally turning to give the kids some power.

Why should a) there be any bar, or b) should anyone care.
Why do you follow the Orange? As a fan, it is selfish for us to want them to stay, but that is because I want the team to succeed...that's why I care.

Best of luck to them and I can't blame them for jumping at the opportunity to move on. Frankly I'm not going to have fond memories of this season though, and unfortunately that's what their brief legacies consist of.

Really! So you're pissed that Grant & Ennis left. You have stated it Ad Nauseum all over this board. The OP posts a thank you as an SU fan (good post, by the way!) And, you can't resist another dig at a couple of kids who gave their all for your entertainment for 2 & 1 yr, respectively!!!

Shame on some of you. I feel disgusted, as an SU fan, to count you amongst us fans. Oh LordOh LordOh Lord

Flame away, as I know you will. But think first, before you need to post on every positive thread about how selfish you really are.
I'm sorry you feel disgusted. I said I was ambivalent, not pissed. I have a more complex emotional menu than ecstatic and pissed. Maybe you don't.

You have blinders on if you think that basketball and football players have been student athletes for any part of the last half century. Rean Dave Meggesy's "Out of their league." Even in the late 50's early 60's, SU players were getting paid on the side and allowed to cut corners. The tide is finally turning to give the kids some power.
To lump all athletes in the same mold is ridiculous. You would find excellent student athletes at Syracuse and at almost any other D-1 school. Two quick examples off the top of my head were Stevie Thompson and Craig Forth.

Why should there be any rule, other than top make (predominately white) college basketball fans happy and provide the NBA with a no cost farm system while keeping (predominately black) players from trying to earn a living in their chosen field.

Your rule is not a problem if YOU WANT TO REQUIRE ALL 18 year olds to go to college before going to work. Otherwise your motivation is selfish, at best.
LOL - Gotta love the random race card. Never mind the fact that people just want to see the quality of the game improve at all levels or favorite college basketball team exceed. Nope - it's just whitey keeping the black man down.

image.png

You have blinders on if you think that basketball and football players have been student athletes for any part of the last half century.
Nice generalization. I guess all of those athletes (predominately black) who have graduated over the years didn't really earn it, right?

I'm sorry you feel disgusted. I said I was ambivalent, not pissed. I have a more complex emotional menu than ecstatic and pissed. Maybe you don't.

I agree with your comments. It's not at all about wishing them ill will or hoping that they flop in the NBA. Hell, that only hurts us as a program. If recruits can see how, as a program, that we can help them get to the next level and succeed, that only attracts more talent. With that being said, again, I agree with Dollarbill in that I don't really see them much as program guys that I really like to follow as others who have played a much more significant role in the program. It's not a matter of blaming them for going when they did; it's just more that we didn't really get a chance to get to know these guys that jump so early. What compounds the issue is when they jump before they are truly ready to compete and be successful in the NBA. Although, once again, if the money is there (which obviously it is) then all the power and luck to our former Orange players. I just hate to continue to see so many of our guys jump early to only end up playing in the D league or somewhere in Europe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom