Ennis on NBA money | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis on NBA money

More than 99.9% of people make in 2 years...

You shouldn't be comparing it to what the rest of society makes, we all know sports generates a ton of revenue. You are comparing them to similar players who leave early.

Ennis: "If you get drafted late in the first round, you're making a million dollars, but half is gone to taxes. You gotta get your own crib, your own car. That's what people don't understand."

How is it that "people don't understand," when everyone else has to do just exactly that - "get your own crib, your own car?"

Play 2 years, make $2m, take home probably $1.2m. 3% goes to the agent, or $60k. For a 19-22 year old, maybe with a kid, maybe with a girl, maybe with parents/siblings/grandparents he wants to relocate, and buy himself a nice apartment/condo/house in a big city, $1.1m really isn't a lot of money.
I've never made 200,000 in a year at any age and I made it. When I was 20 I was lucky to make 5k. I'm just not buying that 500k is not enough for anyone to live on. Let's just say I'd love to have his problems.

I've never made 200,000 in a year at any age and I made it. When I was 20 I was lucky to make 5k. I'm just not buying that 500k is not enough for anyone to live on. Let's just say I'd love to have his problems.

I'd love his problems too. Even if he was left a mil after taxes and agents. Not including shoe deals and the players association money, he could live off of 50k a year for he next 20 without having to work a day.

Compared to the big dogs he makes peanuts, compared to most of America he's pretty damn set if he lives within his means and is smart about it.

He's a smart kid with a high basketball IQ, he'll be a part of basketball in some aspect until his twilight years, he'll make millions coaching.

There is not one grain of my being that has sympathy for him. Ignorant statement on his part.

He didn't call it a "problem." I think what he was suggesting is that it isn't as much money as some people envision, and certainly not enough to set him up for life.

More compared to most people? Sure. But you aren't "retiring" on net income of $500K for a handful of years, if your NBA career is short.

What zip code do you live in? Is your mortgage less than $2k? Did you have to relocate your parents across the country from poverty into a decent apartment/house in a big city? All while knowing you most likely wouldn't have your job past age 28? And then your earnings would drop nearly 80%?

if you buy a nice house when you make millions what are the taxes on it when you dont have the income anymore.

i dont think the guys making millions are living like the middle class who make 50K.

Last edited:
He didn't call it a "problem." I think what he was suggesting is that it isn't as much money as some people envision, and certainly not enough to set him up for life.

More compared to most people? Sure. But you aren't "retiring" on net income of $500K for a handful of years, if your NBA career is short.

That's exactly how I interpreted it. I guess I wasn't as offended as others.

Completely depends on where you live. $500K in California gets you a 1,000 square foot shack, mortgage payments of $1.5K to $2K, and not enough money left over to buy even a peanut M&M. The trade off is you're in California. Same is probably true for lots of major metros. Other places are different. $50K a year here is very difficult to live on. Just different cost of living indexes.

Yeah, I don't understand why this is so hard to get.

What he stated is true.

This happens to everyone, not just basketball players.

Hey, I'm making $XXXXX amount! Wait, my paycheck is what?!?

Except for Tyler, his money also goes to his agent, financial manager, etc etc.

The trade off is you're in California.
Not everyone would like to live in California. Lots of us are happy with upstate NY. We don't need $15 latte's and massage therapists, and yoga instructors and personal trainers. You couldn't pay me an NBA salary to live in California with all of the problems in that state.

<<Not everyone would like to live in California. Lots of us are happy with upstate NY. We don't need $15 latte's and massage therapists, and yoga instructors and personal trainers. You couldn't pay me an NBA salary to live in California with all of the problems in that state.>>

Stereotype much? Problems? Let's see, we have a $3.6 billion budget surplus, a steadily declining unemployment rate, a state legislature and healthcare system that work, we're ground zero for technology, the best weather anywhere on the planet year round, mountains, ocean, redwood forests, Yosemite, Lassen, Shasta national parks...hmmm, sounds like lots of problems to me.

Living here or not isn't the point...it's that cost of living standards differ by where you choose to live. I love Syracuse and central NY and it's a great place to live but you couldn't pay some people an NBA salary to live there even though the cost of living is a fraction of here. So what?

Last edited:
Just live within your means. It is literally that simple. He plays for the Bucks, is real estate expensive in Milwaukee?

To say "people don't understand" is pretty ridiculous. We pay taxes. I have a mortgage. I did pay off my car 6 months ago. Reading the sentence and following his logic, it sounds exactly like he's saying people don't understand these things.

Also, does anybody know what things the team/NBA covers? You're not paying for hotel accommodations on road trips, not paying for airfare. NBA players receive a per diem of $106 for every day they spend on the road as per the collective bargaining agreement. It's common for players to pocket most of this.

I get it, he's trying to say that he doesn't make as much as people think. Whatever, people get by on a fraction of your salary. Don't buy a mansion. Don't buy a flashy car.

TL;DR - I'm sick of hearing pro athletes open their mouths about anything related to salaries.

Just live within your means. It is literally that simple. He plays for the Bucks, is real estate expensive in Milwaukee?

To say "people don't understand" is pretty ridiculous. We pay taxes. I have a mortgage. I did pay off my car 6 months ago. Reading the sentence and following his logic, it sounds exactly like he's saying people don't understand these things.

Also, does anybody know what things the team/NBA covers? You're not paying for hotel accommodations on road trips, not paying for airfare. NBA players receive a per diem of $106 for every day they spend on the road as per the collective bargaining agreement. It's common for players to pocket most of this.

I get it, he's trying to say that he doesn't make as much as people think. Whatever, people get by on a fraction of your salary. Don't buy a mansion. Don't buy a flashy car.

TL;DR - I'm sick of hearing pro athletes open their mouths about anything related to salaries.

Agreed it's probably best to keep your mouth shut off your making six figures and up.

"Sick of players talking about their salaries!" - Signed, Guy on Internet talking about their salaries.

If logical inconsistency were a requirement then I would not be banned for life.

<<Not everyone would like to live in California. Lots of us are happy with upstate NY. We don't need $15 latte's and massage therapists, and yoga instructors and personal trainers. You couldn't pay me an NBA salary to live in California with all of the problems in that state.>>

Stereotype much? Problems? Let's see, we have a $3.6 billion budget surplus, a steadily declining unemployment rate, a state legislature and healthcare system that work, we're ground zero for technology, the best weather anywhere on the planet year round, mountains, ocean, redwood forests, Yosemite, Lassen, Shasta national parks...hmmm, sounds like lots of problems to me.

Living here or not isn't the point...it's that cost of living standards differ by where you choose to live. I love Syracuse and central NY and it's a great place to live but you couldn't pay some people an NBA salary to live there even though the cost of living is a fraction of here. So what?
I just wanted to give you a hard time about your comment. It came off as something typical from someone on the left coast. :):):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom