Ennis on NBA money | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis on NBA money

I just wanted to give you a hard time about your comment. It came off as something typical from someone on the left coast. :):):)

Yep, you're right, got me, it was. :cool: Actually, I'm in line for a $15 latte right now and then headed in my BMW convertible to my yoga class with my masseuse (lucky me). Then I'm going to chow down on a plate of mashed alpha sprouts with my life coach guru. Not! I hate those effin LA asshats.

What zip code do you live in? Is your mortgage less than $2k? Did you have to relocate your parents across the country from poverty into a decent apartment/house in a big city? All while knowing you most likely wouldn't have your job past age 28? And then your earnings would drop nearly 80%?

wahhhhhhhhh

then maybe some of these guys should have the foresight to stay in school and get that free education that none of them seem to want.

wish i could have had a potential free 5 years to one of the best schools in the country, it's no one's fault but there own that they don't value that.

I shed no tears for any of these guys.

RF2044 said:
He didn't call it a "problem." I think what he was suggesting is that it isn't as much money as some people envision, and certainly not enough to set him up for life. More compared to most people? Sure. But you aren't "retiring" on net income of $500K for a handful of years, if your NBA career is short.

Well interpreted.

Yep, you're right, got me, it was. :cool: Actually, I'm in line for a $15 latte right now and then headed in my BMW convertible to my yoga class with my masseuse (lucky me). Then I'm going to chow down on a plate of mashed alpha sprouts with my life coach guru. Not! I hate those effin LA asshats.

15 dollar latte, good lord, I know starbucks is expensive, but where the heck are you getting your coffee from?

wahhhhhhhhh

then maybe some of these guys should have the foresight to stay in school and get that free education that none of them seem to want.

wish i could have had a potential free 5 years to one of the best schools in the country, it's no one's fault but there own that they don't value that.

I shed no tears for any of these guys.
Not sure what the first line in your response means.

I think you're being a little sensitive here. Ennis isn't saying he's broke and asking for charity and playing victim here, he's simply pointing out that a $1m contract doesn't mean you get $1m, in fact far from it. At least he's acknowledging that fact. I'm not sure why some people are offended by this and calling him "out of touch".

15 dollar latte, good lord, I know starbucks is expensive, but where the heck are you getting your coffee from?
You don't even want to know how much I pay for toilet paper.

$15? I wish. My dog's latte costs $15! And he makes me get him one every week after we go to his spin class. I don't know why my back up butler doesn't understand how frustrating it is. I'll just take my anger out at my polo match this afternoon...

I still can't afford tickets to Hamilton.

He didn't call it a "problem." I think what he was suggesting is that it isn't as much money as some people envision, and certainly not enough to set him up for life.

More compared to most people? Sure. But you aren't "retiring" on net income of $500K for a handful of years, if your NBA career is short.

I get both sides...he is saying his current contract doesn't set up him for life..and that is a true statement.

But in a country where it would take the entire working life of an individual earning the median salary to earn what Ennis earns in 2 years, I can also see why that statement doesn't engender much sympathy...

Not sure what the first line in your response means.

I think you're being a little sensitive here. Ennis isn't saying he's broke and asking for charity and playing victim here, he's simply pointing out that a $1m contract doesn't mean you get $1m, in fact far from it. At least he's acknowledging that fact. I'm not sure why some people are offended by this and calling him "out of touch".

Because they want him to fail because they're mad he's not playing basketball for us anymore?

Because they want him to fail because they're mad he's not playing basketball for us anymore?
Kind of shocking to read some of these posts. This is a 21 year old kid that was wearing Orange 26 months ago, leading us to a #1 ranking in February, and now some old timers are saying he's a spoiled millennial because he doesn't live in a $75k home in Solvay.

I'd love his problems too. Even if he was left a mil after taxes and agents. Not including shoe deals and the players association money, he could live off of 50k a year for he next 20 without having to work a day.

There is not one grain of my being that has sympathy for him. Ignorant statement on his part.

Do you live off of $50k/yr or less? It is easy to tell other people to do that, but do you? The thing is you can't just put that money in the bank. In today's zero interest environment, there is no return. And inflation eats away at it every year. By that 20th year, that $50k will probably be poverty level. That's a fine life, isn't it?

Also remember that he left after one year, so he doesn't have a degree to fall back on. Can he go get one now? Sure, but that won't fit well into that $50k/yr budget.

He isn't asking for your sympathy. This is what they call a cautionary tale. This is him telling would be NBA players that the life of most NBA players is not what most people think it is. It is an expensive lifestyle. That is all. Anyone with any sense already knows this to be true. The endless list of bankrupt ex-professional sports players is evidence enough for that. But that still leaves a lot of people who don't truly understand that life isn't just one big party once you reach the NBA or any other professional sport.

IMO, the only ignorant statement I see, is the one you made.

I don't want Tyler Ennis to fail and I think its obnoxious of you to assume that that's what people criticizing his commentary are saying. He was fantastic for us in his one season and gave us a lot of memories to hold onto! I want him to succeed just as much as I want every Syracuse player to succeed in the NBA. Side note: I'm so pumped that we get to watch Dion play against the best team in NBA history in the Western Conference Finals! How cool is that?

My post was a commentary on East Coast bemoaning the idea that money goes fast because these guys are paying for a large mortgage, they "have to" buy a home for their parents, and having to live with the pressure that the money will stop coming in at age 28, like we all should have a pity party for the millionaire.

But my main point is the following:

Is a guy like Tyler Ennis better off playing in the NBA for three years for a few mill?

Or is he better off perfecting his game by learning from a Hall of Fame coach in a basketball crazed town, setting himself up for future endorsement gigs in that town, getting a degree from a prestigious University, taking advantage of an infinite amount of networking opportunities available to him so that when he chases his dream of playing in the NBA and possibly fails; he then has the ability to use his degree and make money decades into his future?

None of these guys place a value on a free college education, if they did, maybe they would be educated to fact that "half is gone to taxes, You gotta get your own crib, your own car." EVERYONE with an education understands that!

People treat pampered college athletes like they're victims! It's completely absurd!

Pretty sure they can go back later and still get that free college education.
DC, Devo, many others have done this.

As a Pro, they can perfect their game FULL TIME.
No classes to attend, no practice limits.
Jerami improved more his first year with the Sixers, than he did in 2 seasons at SU.

Pretty sure they can go back later and still get that free college education.
DC, Devo, many others have done this.

As a Pro, they can perfect their game FULL TIME.
No classes to attend, no practice limits.
Jerami improved more his first year with the Sixers, than he did in 2 seasons at SU.

it wouldn't be free.

Do you live off of $50k/yr or less? It is easy to tell other people to do that, but do you? The thing is you can't just put that money in the bank. In today's zero interest environment, there is no return. And inflation eats away at it every year. By that 20th year, that $50k will probably be poverty level. That's a fine life, isn't it?

Also remember that he left after one year, so he doesn't have a degree to fall back on. Can he go get one now? Sure, but that won't fit well into that $50k/yr budget.

He isn't asking for your sympathy. This is what they call a cautionary tale. This is him telling would be NBA players that the life of most NBA players is not what most people think it is. It is an expensive lifestyle. That is all. Anyone with any sense already knows this to be true. The endless list of bankrupt ex-professional sports players is evidence enough for that. But that still leaves a lot of people who don't truly understand that life isn't just one big party once you reach the NBA or any other professional sport.

IMO, the only ignorant statement I see, is the one you made.

I thankfully do not and I do understand where you're coming from but it was a lazy example on my part showing that he isn't going to really ever be in dire straights as he makes it sound.

If he doesn't get the second contract, is he done with basketball? I doubt it, he'll earn a few mil overseas, probably well more than a few mil if he goes to China. Like I mentioned about his pedigree, he has future coach written all over him. What he earned when he signed on the dotted line when he was drafted is probably less than 10% of his future earnings.

No one wants these kids to fail, when you leave school after one year, and aren't one of the top prospects, people are going to question their decision, thats just how it works.

And what percentage do you think actually do that?
Well we've had Devendorf, Mookie Jones and Derrick Coleman come back to school to finish up - granted Derrick didn't leave school early. Regardless of if they do, they have the option if they want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom