Ennis to NBA per ESPN | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis to NBA per ESPN

@GoodmanESPN
Syracuse freshman Tyler Ennis will leave for NBA, sources told ESPN
Tyler did a great job during his brief stay on The Hill. Sure looks like he is a lock to be in the lottery. When that happens, you are frankly very foolish to keep playing in college.

I wish him the best of luck in the Association.

TE announcing early might help SU get involved with a 5th year player/transfer/JUCO PG looking to get some immediate playing time.

Kaleb Joseph is going to need some help. It would be great if it came from a savvy veteran PG who has played college basketball at the highest level. Really hope we don't have to make do with Silent G as the backup again. He was quite good there but we need him to play forward or shooting guard next season.

Agreed on the demeanor and floor general leadership, but I really think his passing is average at best. Don't think he sees the court as well as the majority of PGs in the NBA and don't think he has the ability to beat his man off the dribble to make up for it.

Also not sure I'm ready to say Marshall has "made it" (and for the record, Marshall is a far better passer and is at least tall to make up for his lack of athleticism). He's playing about 20 minutes a game and is shooting around the mid 30's in terms of FG% over the last two months for a team with the worst roster in the NBA bar none.

True about Marshall. Good points. I just think the offense was so bad here that he was trying to force passes towards the end of the season. Either risky passes due to bad movement and/or defenses shooting the passing lanes. He could be fine in the NBA. Maybe you're right, though. I was definitely wrong about MCW. Ennis is hard to read, imo.

Tyler did a great job during his brief stay on The Hill. Sure looks like he is a lock to be in the lottery. When that happens, you are frankly very foolish to keep playing in college.

TE announcing early might help SU get involved with a 5th year player/transfer/JUCO PG looking to get some immediate playing time.

Kaleb Joseph is going to need some help. It would be great if it came from a savvy veteran PG who has played college basketball at the highest level. Really hope we don't have to make do with Silent G as the backup again. He was quite good there but we need him to play forward or shooting guard next season.

Yep. Good points. By any means necessary SU better stay away from having only one PG on the roster again.

Not meant to stir up anything but did he and JB truly get along and see eye to eye? I'm sure it's more about him striking while it's hot, but, still just curious. I'm sure the way the season ended there was lots of questioning of each other, coaching, etc. At one point almost the whole team was interviewed after one particular game (maybe NC St) and everybody gave different answers as to what was going on. That's usually not the best sign about the state of affairs.

You may be on to something here...maybe JB and Ennis weren't on the same page down the stretch, maybe JB's comments immediately post Dayton about the 17 footer and then about Ennis' needing to stay one more year are more revealing than what's on the surface. Maybe their relationship wasn't as harmonious as it seemed. Would it be too much of a reach to guess that Ennis and JB were on different pages for the last quarter of the season and that's the reason we swooned?

Smallish guards that make it in the NBA, actually anyone that makes it in the league, all have a freakish physical skill that no one else has...they do one thing better than the next guy. Ennis' big strengths aren't anything physical...they're his understanding of the game and his poise...at the next level that's kind of a BFD, everyone has it or they don't stick. Guys who stick aren't merely good at a lot of things, they're really great at one thing and really good at others. What's Ennis physically great at or what can he be great at? It's hard to picture. Not to knock him at all, but the offense this year was more stagnant than in any year in recent memory and the defense at the top of the key was porous and slow. I hope for his sake, he gets an accurate reading from the NBA of where he might fall. As Bud said this morning, it doesn't take much to fall from the lottery to the 20s. Along those lines, for real life, the beginning NBA money ain't all that great unless you have Carter-Williams type parents investing it for you. It goes and it goes fast. Then what?

Tyler did a great job during his brief stay on The Hill. Sure looks like he is a lock to be in the lottery. When that happens, you are frankly very foolish to keep playing in college...

Totally. Remembering all the way back to the Canadian Tour last summer, I thought Ennis looked steady and would have a solid season. He'd have his growing pains and by the end of his 3 or 4 years at SU he'd be a great point guard. I didn't think that eight months later he'd be declaring for the draft as a potential lottery pick. I'm sure that Ennis had confidence in his abilities, but I can't imagine he saw this coming either.

Strike while the iron is hot.

Best of luck Tyler. From day one he was the most composed Freshman out there. Yes some of the others stepped up their game at the end, but Tyler came in like a 5th year senior. That has to impress the scouts. He never was a true freshman. We will always have 25-0. We will always have that Pitt. shot. What more can I ask for? I think the scouts see a strong worker who will cause no drama. A good team player. And an Orange in our hearts forever.

Personally, I'm glad he made this a quick decision so we can stop wondering. I hope Grant doesn't take too long either, for selfish reasons.

His game looked very audition like after the Pitt game which I attributed to the slide and poor decision making in the tournament.

I do not put Ennis in the same zip code as Waiters coming out and less ready than I thougth MCW was. Given his size and limited upside it is a smart business decision to strike while the iron is hot but the NBA is a tough place to learn how to become an elite guard which he is not.

I am in the minority in thinking this is a big loss though admit we are a better team with than without Ennis next year. Wish him the best of luck but cant help but to think we see him playing D-League ball next couple years.

This.

As a fan, I don't think this helps our team for next year. On the other hand, no sense getting worked up over a kid who would rather play elsewhere.

I would rather see G at backup PG than at SF. G gives us nothing at SF - he doesn't score and he doesn't rebound from there. The real issue at PG is will KJ be able to give us 30+ solid minutes per game ? If so, I could live w G for a 5 to 10 minute backup PG role. If KJ has significant growing pains then, yes, we absolutely gotta get help. Can't live w G playing 20 minutes at the point. Regardless, I have been saying for awhile now that we need a 4 yr program kid at PG. Somebody who is not a mega-talent, but can just play solidly and gradually improve over time & who is content to do the job for 5 to 10 MPG for four years while the mega-stars come and go.

If Jerami comes back we could have a nice three man forward rotation & we wouldn't need G up front at all.

Good luck, Tyler! It is a shame that we can't show respect to a kid that signed with Syracuse and gave us so many nice moments. I wish for once that people could keep their negative comments to themselves. It is his life choice and I thank him for playing with the Syracuse Orange. I remember a year ago, when many of you same people slammed MCW for his decision.

What a waste. Charles Barkley wasn't lying when he said the NBA is the worst it's ever been.

I don't know why but I feel used. The one and done rule SUCKS!

Smallish guards that make it in the NBA, actually anyone that makes it in the league, all have a freakish physical skill that no one else has...they do one thing better than the next guy. Ennis' big strengths aren't anything physical...they're his understanding of the game and his poise...at the next level that's kind of a BFD, everyone has it or they don't stick. Guys who stick aren't merely good at a lot of things, they're really great at one thing and really good at others. What's Ennis physically great at or what can he be great at? It's hard to picture. Not to knock him at all, but the offense this year was more stagnant than in any year in recent memory and the defense at the top of the key was porous and slow. I hope for his sake, he gets an accurate reading from the NBA of where he might fall. As Bud said this morning, it doesn't take much to fall from the lottery to the 20s. Along those lines, for real life, the beginning NBA money ain't all that great unless you have Carter-Williams type parents investing it for you. It goes and it goes fast. Then what?
I've been saying this all year. I hope I'm wrong but the list of players I thought wouldn't make it in the NBA but did is a lot shorter than the list of players I thought would make it and didn't. I'm just looking for that one skill that is even NBA level right now. I don't see it. I'm pretty sure we'll see TE in a non-NBA uniform before his SU eligibility would have been over.

Marsh01 said:
Grant is gone. We never get lucky and have these young kids stick around. Its amazing. Completely snakebit

Grant is replaceable.

But we're going to have a very thin bench.

Not that JB cares.

my pet pic.

roadkill-armadillo.jpg

No, actually he's not as good as Ridnour or Blake. Not right now. He can't shoot straight. Both of those two guys can hit open jump shots.

Do you know how good both of those guys were in college? Both were studs.
Ennis was a stud this year.:noidea:

BuffCuse said:
I will never for the life of me understand the obsession with people wanting to think so negatively about our players. The guy came in as a FRESHMAN PG and helped lead the team to a 25-0 start and a #1 ranking in the country during the regular season. Yeah it didn't end well, but statements like this are just flat out insanely unnecessary.

This is true, but this constant one and done has ruined the game for me.

It's really hard to develop a passion and following for the players.

College basketball is like McDonalds. Its an entry level job. You either move on to a higher paying job or go back to school.

Not surprised. Being at the team hotel in Buffalo, a lot of solid people said he was 99% gone. I've got no harsh words. He exceeded my expectations, gave it his all, represented the school and team well, is now chasing his dream (not ours) and provided us with a number of great memories.

Good luck to Tyler. While I might be in the minority, I think he'll do well in the NBA. Maybe not a star but I think he has a decent career.

FWIW, Grant is 50/50 which really tells us nothing. But I think the trend is in a positive direction for us.

Agree with Ennis being a solid pro

Grant's decision may be contingent on something else happening...or not happening.

Orangejet said:
This time last year we didn't even know if he could handle the point. Now it's Joseph's turn with Buzz backing him up.

Buss isn't a point guard. I'll be surprised if he ever plays more than five minutes in a game.

He's already being recruited over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom