Eric Devendorf -- last night... | Syracusefan.com

Eric Devendorf -- last night...

cto

Administrator
I spent time with Eric at the Boeheim Foundation's "Basket Ball" at the Turning Stone last night..

He seemed like a totally different person from the image he projected during his years on the team.

He lives in the Syracuse area and is taking three courses at SU this semester ... and will graduate next month. He has been working very hard on his academics and has a B average since he returned to school. He seems to be prouder of his academic development... than he was of his play on the court. His enthusiasm while discussing his upcoming graduation is wonderful.

He adores his two daughters (ages four and six)... and is very quick to show off pictures of them (They're adorable). He says the best part of each day is taking them to and from school (the girls' mother works full time... and Eric seems to have the "day shift" for them).

He's been working out at the Melo Center... and he looks in great playing shape. (In a subsequent conversation, Jim Boeheim said he's actually playing better in pick-games now than he did during his time on the team. Jim also said that his daughters, whom he sometimes brings to the Melo Center, are incredibly well-behaved and polite). Jim is very proud of what we agreed is a huge jump in Eric's maturity and responsibility.

To me, this was all very heartening... because I admittedly used to worry a bit about Eric.

Last edited:
Ive met eric as well, hes not the bad guy people made him out to be. Hes a bro and proud father with fiery competitiveness. Hes the walk to the talk that we've been lacking lately.

The ACC is undeserving of a guy with Devo's background and fire. He was what the Big East was all about. That JJ Watt table jump pre-6 OT will not be seen again.

People change, and I sometimes fantasize NCAA eligibility would as well. Imagine him playing while he finishes his degree and imparting the wisdom of experience onto his teammates.

I spent time with Eric at the Boeheim Foundation's "Basket Ball" at the Turning Stone last night..

He seemed like a totally different person from the image he projected during his years on the team.

He lives in the Syracuse area and is taking three courses at SU this semester ... and will graduate next month. He has been working very hard on his academics and has a B average since he returned to school. He seems to be prouder of his academic development... than he was of his play on the court. His enthusiasm while discussing his upcoming graduation is wonderful.

He adores his two daughters (ages four and six)... and is very quick to show off pictures of them (They're adorable). He says the best part of each day is taking them to and from school (the girls' mother works full time... and Eric seems to have the "day shift" for them).

He's been working out at the Melo Center... and he looks in great playing shape. (In a subsequent conversation, Jim Boeheim said he's actually playing better in pick-games now than he did during his time on the team. Jim also said that his daughters, whom he sometimes brings to the Melo Center, are incredibly well-behaved and polite). Jim is very proud of what we agreed is a huge jump in Eric's maturity and responsibility.

To me, this was all very heartening... because I admittedly used to worry a bit about Eric.

That's great to hear. I never got the impression that Eric was a bad person. But as we saw on the court, he was a highly emotional person which I'm guessing is what led to some of his off the court issues. At some point. he needed to learn to harness that or it was going to mean REALLY big trouble - even more than what he found himself in a couple times. Thank goodness he is headed in the right direction because like I said, he never seemed to be a bad or stupid person.

Last edited:
I recently changed my avatar to the six OT table hop. Partly because I just love it and partly because I've listened to ED on the radio in recent months and he's great and you can just sense a maturity that comes across when he talks. I'm glad to hear that it's not just a radio thing and he is doing well.

Ive met eric as well, hes not the bad guy people made him out to be. Hes a bro and proud father with fiery competitiveness. Hes the walk to the talk that we've been lacking lately.

I can tell you of a few examples in his past that would say you are painting a much prettier picture than the truth.

But that was in his past, and am glad to hear he is doing well now.

This really is great to hear. I love hearing about him developing into a mature, young man. That kid was headed for a deadbeat-type of life, but he made the decision to reverse that path in its tracks.

Proud of ED for stepping up and being a good father to his little girls. Amen brother.

The guy never missed a layup. And I think we all understand how simple, but important that skill is for a guard.

He had really nice touch around the rim with those layups like you said. I met him in NYC after the 6OT game. Nice guy for sure and even became FB friends so I have seen the progress as a person and maturity via FB as well.

I hope when he finishes his last final, he runs up to the professor's desk, throws it down, and then steps up onto the desk and rips his shirt off and flexes and gives his trademark gameface/smirk, a la his reaction after hitting the 3 that got waved off in the 6OT game.

Unrelated to that - I'm always amazed to learn how many former players wind up settling in Syracuse. Devendorf is here, Billy Edelin is still here, for example. It's funny how they just stay around the area when they didn't have any previous ties.

Last edited:
I hope when he finishes his last final, he runs up to the professor's desk, throws it down, and then steps up onto the desk and rips his shirt off and flexes and gives his trademark gameface/smirk, a la his reaction after hitting the 3 that got waved off in the 6OT game.

Unrelated to that - I'm always amazed to learn how many former players wind up settling in Syracuse. Devendorf is here, Billy Edelin is still here, for example. It's funny how they just stay around the area when they didn't have any previous ties.

And those two had marks on their records while in Syracuse, which makes it all the more puzzling.

I also want to mention that Mookie Jones is graduating in May. I love to hear about our players coming back, no matter the adversity, and finishing their degrees. Mookie has his daughters back home in Peekskill so that has been difficult for him. He is on his own in Syracuse doing this. Two great stories!!

I wonder if he'd ever be in line to get one of those spots on the bench when Boeheim leaves. Seems to have a keeping it real attitude that is good with certain kids. Good for him, always loved his bravado.

It actually doesn't surprise me all that much when I really think about it. It seems like the majority of guys who stick around are not the superstar athletes, but more the middle of the road ones. They have a brand and an identity in Central New York. To the rest of the country, they aren't recognizable. But here in Syracuse, they are probably able to parlay who they are into more opportunities than they would elsewhere.

Ever since Devo left we haven't had a kid quite like him (Dion was probably the closest, but no one comes close to Devo)...It's hard not to miss his swag and attitude on the court, dude was a straight up baller and wasn't afraid to let you know it. Wish we had someone like him every year (his skillset is sorely missed too).

I love that Eric has grown into a responsible young man & hope all his past haters eat a little crow. I always loved his on court bravado...showed his passion and had skills to back it up. Never believed he was the bad guy/thug that people made him out to be. Made some poor choices but so many jumped to conclusions about what they meant about his overall character without really knowing what the circumstances surrounding them were. Hope his story helps some to remember not to judge a person by the media's portrayal.

I never liked him for his behavior on the court, and was disappointed when SU fans thought it entertaining and called it "bravado." But thanks for posting this. Glad to hear a kid who's had some troubles has made changes (ie, has grown up) and is doing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom